Something Wicked This Way Comes

• 19 Replies

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 07:59:51 PM »
@montydog goes electronic!  I'll be damn, I did not see that coming!
Fab vox as always and it works very well with a backing like this but I would suggest to back off the vocals a bit in the mix to let it "sit" in the music in a better way. Perhaps a little more ambience to it as well to match the rest of the track? New "tear down" at 3.50 and good build up after that. Love the harmonica towards the end.
This works brilliantly well, a very interesting and rewarding new direction. I'm always impressed with people who manage to reinvent themselves while retaining their unique "mark" and you have surely managed to do that, respect!

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »
Hi,
There's something in here that reminds me of Depeche Mode  :D I really like the roundness of the bass and the ethereal sounds that create a very special atmosphere. The final solo a bit squeaky is a marvel. The song has a good evolution. 
Thank you for giving us this great song!
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm pleased that this song appears to have gone down well. It's always a risk operating outside the comfort zone. Thanks to all who listened and comented.
M

Very interesting song @montydog - as you and others have said, a very different style to what we're used to from you. Loved the lyrics and the mood of it. Only crit really is the vocal was too up front/too prominent for me - I think the style would be served better with it brought down in the mix a bit..

K

@MonnoDB  Thanks for the kind words.

This is super, Alan. Lyrics are brilliant...a real sense of foreboding. The bit where the instruments drop out on the last verse is particularly splendid.

When Springsteen brought out "streets of philidelphia" it knocked me sideways and was something i never expected from him...this had a similar effect on me.

Fabulous.

@PaulAds Lovely comments. Hard to believe it had such an effect on you as Bruce's song. I am very humbled.

Wow Alan, this is a real belter lyrically and a departure from what we would probably expect which is great, AND it delivers for me, so great stuff.

I like the repeating 4 line stanzas, bizarre but my most recent lyric started off this way too, something I had not done for a long time. It worked out OK but was changed eventually to incorporate a chorus, yours is better (that was hard to say!) Geoff :-)

@Furry61 Ha ha..pleased you liked it even if you had to grit your teeth!

You consistently produce quality n this is no exception
smooth, lovely and poetic all the way through.
 Well done!!

@Rightly I'll take poetic. Thank you.

Hi Montydog,

A way different vibe from you but, yeah cool, sit back and get the headphones on, zone out track.

Bloody smooth vocal delivery as always.

Cheers

@Cawproductions Hi and thanks. Don't zone out for too long....they're coming....

Hi Alan, this is a successful departure for you into a less structured backing track that is very soundtrack-to-a-movie-like, all very hypnotic and moody. You still kept the narrative out front, as usual,  and that worked well, and it's easy to fall into the languid trance of the thing. Very cool, thanks for putting it up  ;)

@MichaelA Many thanks for the kind words - put a lot of work in especially trying to create the right mood.

Lovely atmospheric track - so many interesting things going on. It gives the feel of a mystery story a la Twin Peaks... Lots of Americana and twists in the lyrics which probably add to that.

"the shadows are talking Back and forth in rhyme" and "Stop lights like blood on the street" are fabulous images and lyrics.

Drums and harmonica really set everything off.

A great success I think!
@adamfarr Hi, so pleased you picked out those lyrics - I am quite proud of how this turned out.

Hi Alan, your arrangement and soundscapes have evolved massively over the time I've been hearing your songs.This sound scape world very well with the bleakness of the lyric. Very good, and of course your vocals are excellent.
Good stuff.We'll have to start calling you Nostradamus ;).

Cheers
Jamie
@Jamie Thanks Jamie.. you've been on here since the start of my journey so your comments on my productions are much appreciated.

AMazing athmosphere round the song. You have a terrific voice, and the production and drums is spot on! :)
@LukeArmstrongMusic Many thanks for your comments.

love the drums and the mix of the low end! Very well job and atmosphere!

@Andi I just put an equalizer on this to cut out the very low frequencies and it turned out OK

Hi Alan,

wow, what happened whilst I've been away? This is so different to the songs I remember you writing, where do I start.

The vocal is spot on, captures the mood of the lyrics perfectly. The drums and synths compliment the vocal and words by building up the tension throughout. I was waiting for an explosion of noise to break the tension at the end. Sadly for me it didn't come. I thought the ending was good just not what I was expecting in my head.

Feel free to ignore me its a great song,

Keith

@diademgrove Hi Keith. Glad you liked it. I kept the ending downbeat to leave it to your imagination - always better than giving it to you on a plate!

@montydog

Such an interesting soundscape Alan.  I like the instrumentation and the crystal clear vocal that allows us to tune into the story telling. Love the imagery of motel rooms, coupe, highways and neon signs.  It's very accessible but I also think it will really grow with repeated listens. Excellent work on the chorus and those beautiful string pads!

Great work

Paul

@Wicked Deeds Thank you Paul. Coming from you, those comments mean a lot.

Yes, very different from your usual style Alan. I think it works very well. Great atmospherics combine with your vocal which is very well suited for this style. I like the driving beat that seems to be almost hypnotic and adds to the overall atmosphere. Great stuff  :)

@pompeyjazz Hi and thanks. I'm relieved that something different worked.

Alan,
Well it all really works for me with, the insistent atmospheric backing.
It’s got a good gentle grove for vocals. Love the vibes(?).
Going to have a proper read of the intriguing lyrics but they sound pretty arresting to me.
And that fab harp at the end.
It’s a different Alan musically but love it. Going to have proper listen later. Production sounds a notch up too..
Good to have  you back
:-) neil

@Neil C Hi and thanks once again for your support. Yes, it is vibes played on my Yamaha keyboard.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
@montydog goes electronic!  I'll be damn, I did not see that coming!
Fab vox as always and it works very well with a backing like this but I would suggest to back off the vocals a bit in the mix to let it "sit" in the music in a better way. Perhaps a little more ambience to it as well to match the rest of the track? New "tear down" at 3.50 and good build up after that. Love the harmonica towards the end.
This works brilliantly well, a very interesting and rewarding new direction. I'm always impressed with people who manage to reinvent themselves while retaining their unique "mark" and you have surely managed to do that, respect!

@Jambrains Thanks for your detailed and considered review - very helpful and I'm relieved that you liked the new sound.

Hi,
There's something in here that reminds me of Depeche Mode  :D I really like the roundness of the bass and the ethereal sounds that create a very special atmosphere. The final solo a bit squeaky is a marvel. The song has a good evolution. 
Thank you for giving us this great song!

@Inanité_sonore Wow, I never thought I'd be compared with Depeche Mode....made my day.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »
Hi MD,

Great intro.
The music is so eery - gives me that feeling Angel does by Massive Attack.
The bass just probes away.
Synths sound great.

The drums are simple but fit perfectly.

The vocal adds an interesting contrast. Hard to describe - like a narrator singing over a ghostly movie or something.

Then that mournful harp - awesome.

One of my favourites I've heard from you.

Digger