konalavadome

Coronavirus and creativity

• 28 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: March 13, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
Not sure how it is over in the UK, but the shit is starting to hit the fan over here in the US. Events are being cancelled. Schools are being closed. It's very surreal. Haven't had a feeling like this since the few days and weeks post 9/11. But I have a feeling this is gonna last a bit longer.
How is it effecting everybody over there? Has it hit you guys as hard as it has here yet?
Any cancellations? Lockdowns?
What effect is it having on your songwriting? Any?

Honestly I am sick of hearing about it over here, but it's inescapable and I am curious to hear a new perspective as I sit in this half-empty coffee shop.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 02:58:15 PM »
Hi, I went to the supermarket this morning and the car park was nearly full when it would normally be half empty. There were loads of people with full trolleys and many shelves are empty. My daughter school trip next month to Iceland has just been cancelled,and I’m trying to cancel a golf trip to Portugal in May and a trip with friends to Spain in June. Sports events are being cancelled.i also have a holiday in August that could be affected too.
I’m afraid to say that this is just the beginning, not to be too apocalyptic.
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Yeah, the shit is really hitting the fan now. I see that Trump is making a speech tonight about it. Should be interesting!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
Looking on the bright side you can get 18 bottles of Corona beer for only £12 at Asda. I've paid up to a quid a bottle in the past.

I'm really hoping we get another virus soon called Merlot.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
We're on lock-down in Ireland. Nursing homes not taking visitors, Schools, Unis and childcare facilities closed, no indoor gatherings >100, outdoor >500. Home working being advised where possible.

People are relatively calm I think but things are going to get a lot worse - we've only had 1 death confirmed so far so it's difficult to tell.

All a bit surreal... And I don't drink Corona.. :)

K

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
surreal is the right word indeed..
wonder who wrote the screenplay for this..
lets hope it was walt disney !
an impending disaster and no loo roll !
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
The screenplay was written by China, however they are already spouting propaganda saying that the CIA made this virus and sent it to China... ::)

I think this is gonna be a terrible summer for everyone..particularly if your over 60 which is apparently the age group in which it could have the most dire consequences,
good luck to all...don't underestimate the power of this virus, be safe and consider others...if there are some older peeps in your street pop in and see if they need some shopping done before it's too late...
s'pose this is an excuse to spend even more time in the studio..

best, Kevin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:22:33 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 04:41:51 PM »
Pretty much the same where I am. Lots of stock gone in local shops though not as bad as it could be. However if mass gatherings are banned soon I am gonna lose all my work for the next few months. I work in theatres and ticket sales are taking a big knock at the moment. Think the entertainment industry is going to take a big big hit from this. As for me, gonna limit close contact to the bare minimum, would hate to be walking around like a big corona bomb and inadvertently effect someone who is much more at risk. Locking myself up, making music, and dipping in to my savings is the plan till this all blows over
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
I work in IT. Most of my time in the last week has been setting people up for working from home (including myself!). I tell ya - I could set up a VPN/Remote Desktop in my sleep right now!

I did a dry run on Thursday (working from home) but I'm nowhere near set up yet. I have to have a lot of equipment set up that's proving a bitch to set up. My boss wants me fully working from home ASAP (or earlier) as I'm diabetic and have had a lot of time of in the last 6 months when I picked up an infection because of it. I#m actually happy to work there. I enjoyed only having to walk a few paces from my bedroom to my "office"! :D

The most annoying thing about it all is the panic buying. No bloody toilet rolls for one, no milk (or at least no "normal" milk - I don't count all those fancy vegan and lactose-intollerent varieties as true millk - they taste like witch pee!). And loads of other stuff that people are hoarding. Supermarkets must be thinking it's bleedin' Christmas!

Misanthropist

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
Keep singing guys there's nothing else for it the
panic buying simply manifests the beast in all of us
We might need to revise what being civilized means as for asking people not to panic buy nicely it's the same as asking politicians who own or are affiliated with food conglomerates to limit the amount they sell ha ho ha lah de dah

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:34 PM »
Hope everyone close to all of you are well, and if they do get it they fully recover, its affect us a bit, Mrs Cowparsleyman had to cancel a flight to see her Mum in Germany, old motherparsleywoman had to cancel her flight to see us, I’m picking up Cowparsleydaughter from Heathrow tomorrow morning, she was studying in Boston College for a year, but not anymore, she’s really cut up...

But at least we’re all healthy...ish

I’m in IT too, lots of work...but very happy to help everyone, if there’s anything i can help with here ?

Put 2 fence panels up yesterday and didn’t put enough concrete in, they’re flapping about like jeff becks whammy bar...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:01:28 PM by cowparsleyman »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 07:59:18 PM »
I'm the daft bastard who drives around taking all the samples from suspected coronavirus patients through to the regional testing laboratory for £9.70 an hour. And that's with 28 years service in.

EDIT: I suppose it could be worse...I could be mopping up the floor after confirmed cases have realised there's no bog roll for £8.70 an hour.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:16:15 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:29 PM »
I'm working at a centre for the homeless so have absolutely no idea wtf we are going to do. Currently reviewing the situation on a day to day basis. Also fall into the vulnerable group due to past medical history so everything is up in the air atm. Strange days indeed

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »
Here in Spain noone’s now allowed on the street except for essentials. I work from home anyway so not much change.

Kids off school so trying to make sure they learn something rather than treating it as holiday.

Personally I prefer this to the UK approach but we are all making this up as we go.

I have a feeling that some changes will be quite profound - Amazon’s devouring of the high street will accelerate and pubs and restaurants will lose out to home deliveries. Cheap air travel may be done. Things that can go online will. All very efficient but not much community left. There won’t be work for everyone and governments will have to work out how to pay for this.

But that’s long term - short term I just want everyone to survive. The lock down here is really due to peeps not being responsible by themselves - Isolation is a bummer but just seems right if you can.