konalavadome

Very Weird-Name change WAV loses production???

• 4 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:52:09 AM »
A very strange thing is happening to two of my WAV files. When I change the name, they lose all their production and only the lead vocal is left. I can't even begin to imagine how this can possibly happen, but it is very consistent. I've tried just changing the name. I've tried loading the WAV into Reaper and rendering it to the proper name. Both ways leave me with just the lead vocal. With no effects or anything. How can that even possibly happen??? And I did try loading it into Reaper and changing it to a different name. That worked fine. But the actual name of the song...nope! Can't do it.

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing? Do you know how to fix it?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »
There is definitely more going on as changing the name of a WAV file would not alter the contents of a file

It is like changing the name of a JPG file and then some people disappearing from the picture

If you send me the WAV file and what you want it renamed to I can take a look
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
Vicky - just a thought - does your project have a subdirectory where all the audio is stored? Also if you use samples then you may need to check the box "copy all media into project directory"... This wouldn't affect a single wav file that has been rendered. But it could affect a project that has some parts stored elsewhere on your pc, leading to some audio items not being found when you change the name of the project.

Possibly not on the point but the only thing I could think of!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »
Beyond my skill level, so all I can do is wish you good luck.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »
Well, I managed to achieve my goal (to change the name of the WAV file while keeping it intact). Somehow, my computer was turning the renamed file into a shortcut, pointing to a different file. I have no idea why it did this with just two files, although I could maybe figure it out by tracking down where the target files are. I fixed it by making a new folder with a different name and putting all the WAV files for this project in it. No more redirecting shortcuts. Everything is good.

Thanks for the ideas for helping and the good luck wishes @Boydie @adamfarr @hardtwistmusic