Songwriter Forum > Recording

Tuned Vocals

(1/9) > >>

Cawproductions:
Hi all.
I am bracing myself for an onslaught of possible abuse here.

Question: Do most lower end DAWS (ie, not the pro versions) come with some sort of Vocal tuning.

I hear so many great songs in the amateur arena and most of them have pitchy vocals in places.
It got me thinking, as the vocal is mostly the focal point of a track why do people not spend time to fix slight errors.
Is it because tuning software is pricey or some Daws dont come with even a basic version of this or people just dont do it as it takes a lot time to do accurately.

Or simply that people dont like tuned vocals, now I am not talking about the horrific Cher thing or some guy called T payne..just minor pitch fixes on phrases.

Ok, whooooaaa, I am no pro singer and my vocal needs a TON of work...Turds and Polishing springs to mind here.

On a rainy Sunday afternoon, it got me wondering.

Happy Sunday people.

pompeyjazz:
Hi @Cawproductions Reaper comes with it's own built in tuner, Reatune. There are automatic and manual modes. I have used it on occasions mainly in manual mode as I've found that auto mode can produce some unexpected results. It's pretty fiddly to get right though and I'm guessing that's why a lot of people dont use it. Interesting thread Andy

cowparsleyman:
Interesting thread...

I wouldn’t know if the cheaper daws have it, but even if they did it’s not always something that is felt to be necessary, as some vocalists can’t hear that they are out of tune, i one had a heated discussion with someone that swore blind they were completely in tune when they were way way off.

Yip i do use melodyne from time to time and yes it’s complicated and time consuming but very very effective and pretty expensive. I always recommend it as the results are invisible and lovely Perfecly aligned harmonies above ones range are completely achievable, they can sound female if the formant is tweaked upwards a tad.

It suppose it depends on whether it’s a priority, as you say, some songs sound better with a bit of edgey realism.

Its so difficult to sing in tune, especially if it’s at the limit of ones range....

rightly:
Yes. Really interesting.
I think the vocal can have some edge.
But too much edge will ruin a fine song.

The difference between some and too much is decided differently by different people. 
It's quite tricky. I'm learning all the time, everytime I produce.

Cawproductions:
Hi guys, Thanks for all getting involved.

IMHO, every vocal needs some tuning work to sound "Polished", I have watched documentaries on professional singers that have recorded the most amazing vocal, Then when the engineer adds the subtle tuning, then and only then do you hear that magic.

I guess what I am saying is that our ear will handle a very slight error in tuning then after that it sounds out of tune but when its bang on, we instantly feel that its right.

But, hey, i like vocals to be accurate in pitch but i can appreciate that different styles do not always demand this.

Like i meantioned before, I am defo not the best singer on here but I do like my vocal pitch to be as close as poss. Its a style thing.

Thanks again guys, interesting to get other peoples opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version