konalavadome

NO TIME TO DIE

• 19 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: February 13, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
Ok, here is my finished Bond Song.  Had I managed to have any kind of success in the music industry, I would have badgered everyone associated with the Bond franchise to hire me until I was banned from ever releasing music again.
:-)

My brief was to write about life, comparing experiences to the flickering of a candle.  Doesn't the wind often "blow through the doorway of our lives, creating all kinds of devastation?  I've embraced images of struggling "adrift at sea."  There is a plea for rescue so therefore, in keeping with the Bond theme of missions, I refer to an assignment "You must have been assigned to rescue me.  My favourite lyric is "The wind blows through the doorway; it devastates the hall, tearing up the building as it falls."

So, here is another for my Bond collection that will once again disappear into obscurity but it was so much fun.  Now, I'm looking forward to the next Bond movie and the challenge that the title presents.

Hope you enjoy my final produced version.

Paul

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/no-time-to-die

No time to die

The candle slowly burns in the darkness of the night
It flickers, often fades then it returns.
The wind blows through the doorway,
It devastates the hall,
tearing up the building 'til it falls.

It's no time to die,
no time to concede.
No time to open up the wounds
and watch them bleed.

The candle slowly burns to the rhythm of a life
It flickers through your sadness and your strife.
We briefly learn to live.
Oftentimes we cry,
subjected to a multitude lies.

It's no time to die,
no time to concede.
and watch them bleed.

It's no time to die,
no time to concede.
and watch them bleed.
It's no time to die.

It's only when you're gone I feel adrift at sea.
You must have been assigned to rescue me.
It's only when the chips are down that colours show.
Before you go........

There's no time to die.
There's no time to concede.
and watch them bleed.
There's no time to die
There's no time to die.
There's no time to die.

Written by Paul Vasey January 2020

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/no-time-to-die
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:48:38 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
Brilliant Paul... I’ve been listening to the earlier versions of this one and already liked it but the finished article has some excellent embellishments. Those strings... It brings subtlety to the brief too. Wow.
It's all too beautiful.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:39:14 PM »
Fantastic Paul! I really liked those spotty strings as well but there are many
nice touches throughout. this sounds great, Bond approved :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:55:39 PM »
You nailed this. Sultry and danger lurking. Your voice sounds great.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »
Hi Paul, unmistakably a Bond song 8), very well done! Love your vocals on this, brilliant.Love the strings too.Brilliantly conceived, written, played and sung.
Very good ;D
Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 03:31:53 PM »
There's a real sense of urgency here - I think it's the syncopated percussion and staccatto strings. The guitars really pick it up as well. The chorus is great - not cliched or obvious. And that little "whoa" every now and then is a lovely detail.
Big and cinematic, really like it.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 08:53:57 PM »
Great stuff @Wicked Deeds Its racing and urgent and dead on the brief. One minor thing is that I might have had the "shaft" guitar a little lower in the mix but that is a minor nit. Top quality Paul  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »
@PaulyX thank you for your continued interest in this song.  I was always going to write a bond song for my collection just as I do with every film release. I'm really pleased that the forum has embraced the suggestion of a Bond competition but even more pleased that so many have decided to forego tge competition and soimply write to the brief to test their writing skills and enjoy the writing process. Full marks  to you my friend for suggesting this idea to the forum.

Paul

@Bostonfan2 thank you so much for having a detailed listen to this song. :-)

Paul

@redrhodie, thank you very much for your comments about this song.  I simply love to write to a brief and am always surprised to hear kind comments about my vocal performance.

Paul

@Jamie

Thank you my friend!

Paul

@adamfarr thanks  for listening and taking time to reply. I loved your comment about the song being cinematic. Yes, the guitars do I think lend something to the feeling of urgency here.  I'm hoping to hear your Bond song very soon.

Paul

@Pompey thanks for your comment re the volume of the guitar.  it can be difficult to make such decisions when mixing and I, like everyone else makes that judgement call when mixing.  I love the  songwriting part so much and whilst production can be great fun, I would love to sit back and listen to the interpretation of a skilled producer.

Paul

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:25:44 AM by Wicked Deeds »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »
Fantastically layered track Paul, with definite Bond epic quality included for free! I get that 'cinematic' comment above, as there's some almost Surround Sound technique employed every now and then.

I loved the guitar parts in particularly. The only thing that niggled a bit was that stabbing Cello type instrument in the right channel, which I felt needed a bit more 'welly' to it, given the epic nature of the rest of the production.

That minor issue aside, I think the vocal melody is very cool and right on brief, plus your own vocal performance is great. It's like you were a kid in a sweetshop with this, your enthusiasm shines through and it is a compelling piece of work. Big tick :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 12:56:22 PM »
Exquisite, really.

Epic and moody... sometimes almost claustrophobic... with a real sense of drama.

A fantastic song in every respect.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
@Wicked Deeds - Just listening now...ooohhh wacka wacka, cool, I can imagine the car chase TV trailer...American cars, sqealing around San Franciso streets...

as Paul says, a real sense of drama. Well done indeed.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »
This is a way..WAY better than the the song being used for the movie..way better..well done!! 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »
This is a brilliant Bond track Paul. It has all the elements to make the perfect Bond song 8) the lyrics and instrumentation give it that dramatic suspense thriller vibe and your vocals sounds great!
You should submit it for the next Bond movie :)

PaulG

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
Really enjoyed this, so much going on with the different instruments. Very envious of your skills & talent!

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 12:30:44 AM »
This is a way..WAY better than the the song being used for the movie..way better..well done!! 8) 8)

I was thinking the same thing, this is wayyyy better :)