Sound Check (with Pompeyjazz)

• 12 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: January 29, 2020, 10:31:23 PM »
John sent me a soul/motown kind of of number he was working on and I started digging around for some brass samples...I found some from New York Brass and mashed them into shape and we re-worked it into this...once I had written some lyrics and done a scratch version, i reckoned John's voice would be perfect and I'd settle on doing some backing vocals.

Rubbish title, I know...that's 100% my fault...I'm being deliberately vague again, I suppose  :)

Sound Check

Nightmare out there
If we make it to the weekend we won't care
We'll have something we can share

No one knows your name
And no ones gonna care from where you came
If you only feel the same

Feels like someone opening up the cage
Every time the Showband takes the stage

Excitement overload
The sound check cracks the code
Made the music scene explode
When the Showband hit the road

Now we know
We found ourselves a place where we can go
The music's loud and lights are low

It gets us off the street
Gives us somewhere safe for us to meet
Clap our hands and stomp our feet

Kids still buzzing make their way outside
Newsflash sears the countryside
The journey home where worlds collide
Where were you the night the music died?

Adamson/Bradley

Featuring the New York Brass

First go at a mix, so please let me know any problems.

Massive thanks to John for letting me have a go at this one...what a brilliant guy he is to work with  :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:39:58 AM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:19:30 PM »
Tamla Motown is back :) 8) brought this to mind a soon as I heard the beat, the the brass, great job guy's, could hear the Supremes singing this one and having a top tenner with it back in the day.. 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
The brass parts are superb! Some nice guitar licks in there too!

Nice one guys. Couldn't help but tap along.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:01:43 PM »
Great snare sound and the often overlooked tambourine works really well. I enjoyed the verse vocal melody. Vocally, this develops well as the song progresses. Great t hear both of you exploring different genres.

Lyrically, there isn't a great deal for me to get my teeth into. Still there are many fine aspects to this song.

Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
Paul, John,
Lots to like here.
I enjoyed the reminiscing lyrics, and chord progression. Its funny re the prechorus you chose exactly the same chords that I was playing in my head..
Anyway good arrangement and vocals.
My only though was perhaps the vocals were slightly proud in the mix.
Title? I think Showband might be an alternative..
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »
Pomps,

I like this, has a great drive, gotta be that motown vibe...

Sounding great but I would dial back the main vocal level a bit to get it sitting in the mix. feels a bit sat on top and loud here.
Or get a little more compression on it, then eq to help it cut through.

But hey, great work fellas

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:22:48 PM »
Great stuff - I can actually see the horn section guys in the corner bopping. I did think they might have had a role to play in a large triumphant finale rather than just a fade out... Just a thought. I also had a nagging feeling that a few more BPM could have added something too...? (probably just me).

But the drumming, bass and general feel is really authentic, add a great vocal and Northern Soul lyrics and we're transported to another era, very cool.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 01:21:37 AM »
I think this is fabulous! Love Love the Brass! another for the playlist :)

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
Get Happy guys this is a cracking tune that I really enjoyed.
I thought it a very good production and very nicely worked samples. Great collaboration real quality.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
Hi guys, brilliantly authentic motown sound to this one, and Loved the melody.Brilliantly conceived and executed!
 8) 8) 8)
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 11:26:02 PM »
Well I think your title is fine but then I don’t always go for an obvious title and I guess I’m not convinced it matters. This is a really well executed song and sound - really authentic sound - Vocals fit it perfectly, you were right @PaulAds !! Really grabbed me from the get go - actually it came on as a related track and grabbed me immediately.

You guys work so well together. Apart from producing great songs like this, I suspect you have a great deal of fun doing it!

Fabulous!!

K

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 07:51:13 AM »
Hey guys, super collab - nails the Motown vibe perfectly 👍, and I got a whiff of The Style Council from it too. Brass works very well. Lyrically I always love songs about the joy of music itself - always find them cathartic. I got a strong sense of the backstory here... to me it was about downtrodden people finding solace in gigs on a Friday night... bit of escapism. In this one I didn’t think you needed the twist with the newsflash couplet as it complicates the uplifting feel a bit, but maybe it is about a specific event you wanted to commemorate. That aside I thought this was a fantastic life-affirming toe-tapper.
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the great response. I loved doing this one with John.

I kept the lyric vague...too vague, it would seem...but it is, as you could probably guess, about something I really wanted to mention...especially with all the talk of spies and secret agents and good guys versus bad guys floating around at the minute with the release of the new Bond film.

John twigged straight away.

I read something about trying to build a song or a story up to a point where it kind of explodes...and this was my attempt at doing that. The way John sang the lines leading up to the brass solo really knocked me out. For me, personally...it's probably been worth 30 years of pissing about trying to write songs just for the 2 minutes or so here.

It's about the miami showband massacre.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter