konalavadome

Its Been A Long Time

• 8 Replies

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »
Well it has been a long time - This is my long awaited comeback - LOL..
Actually still haven't a lot of time to get back into it due to family reasons - but I thought  i'd check my back catalogue of unfinished stuff to see if i post something to encourage my self to try and make the time.

I know nothing of dance music but this is my interpretation.....Lyrics are sparse to say the least...but here they are:

https://soundcloud.com/oooheroutons/been-a-long-time

Its been a long time
Its been a long time
Since you've been on my mind
But Now you are back
Now you are back
Feels like my heart is under attack.

Feel free to listen.....cheers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:03:27 PM by Morefrog Jones »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »
Contains all the dance things I would want - I do like a large bass and there's plenty of excitement in the electronica. A bigger kick drum would be good I think especially if this was used in anger in a club. To make it really hooky I think you could add a few syllables to line 2 (to match the rhythm of line 4) - "since you climbed into my mind" (or something...)
Anyhow, nice to hear something different from you again.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
Hi,

Didn't know what to expect here. I was thinking "is that all the lyrics?" I'm a pretty traditional songwriter who values lyrics and melody over anything else so I don't think I am your target audience but I can see the skill and imagination that has gone into this. Reminded me of Jean Michelle Jarre crossed with The pet Shop Boys which I think is a very good thing. Not my banana but brilliant nonetheless.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
Yeah ! Great to see you back on the forum MFJ. Hope that life is treating you well. Thought that this worked well and you've got all the necessary components in place for a catchy piece of EDM. Thought that the vocals FX gave it an extra dimension. Nice stuff as always. Always creative and inventive  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 06:59:23 AM »
Welcome back. Interesting to hear you exploring a different genre and I’d say it works well... fulfills its dancey mission. Liked the “hey heys” in particular and the multi-layered ending is strong.
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
This would definitely get them up dancing in that Ibiza place...got all the right stuff in all the right places this has..well done! :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »
Hi, I tried to do a song of this style a few years ago, and realised how hard it is, even if you think its not that complicated a genre. :P ::). This works, bass could be a little punchier, but a nice effort. Like the repetition, that works too.
Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:48:28 AM »
Hi MF,

This is dance music alright... I love the addictive synth hook that comes in around 1:20ish.

This certainly has energy about it and I’d say is bordering on trance/euro pop. The one thing it’s lacking, and I had exactly the same problem when I tried to write EDM, is a prominent kick drum, that smacks you in the chest.

I found writing EDM to actually be fairly easy, but producing it authentically, for me that’s a different story. I do know that kick is king though in this genre, even if I can’t get it right myself.

If you did want to work on this, I’d say finding the right kick sample is key, and then using sidechain compression to let it poke through, and make the music pulse.

Leaving this aside though, still a very enjoyable track and as I said, you nailed that synth riff.

Yodasdad

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »
Ibiza 1997...superb work...love those filters and some of those drum rifffs.

You’re right the lyrics don’t matter at all.

Superb production.

Faultless