All The Fun Of The Fair Revisited

• 15 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: January 18, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been away for a while just to take a break and write some new songs. It's good to be back. Ironically, this is an old song which I have turned into a Celtic Reel and I think it works pretty well. All comments and abuse gratefully received. I hope you like it.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/all-the-fun-of-the-fair-revisited

All the fun of the fair
Let me lead you there
I'll show you things that only kings
And jesters would ever share

We're coming to your town
So lay your money down
The carney's here like every year
Just spin that wheel around

We're a band of seekers, dreamers and runners
From the world that comes to stare
Drifters, riskers, scene stealers and shifters
We've been to everywhere

High wire walkers and machine gun talkers
It's hard to tell what is real
Jugglers, barkers, fire eaters and cheaters
Butterflies dead on the wheel

Step up, step up and bring your friends
There's something for everyone
Bearded ladies and 2 headed babies
Attractions second to none

See the tatooed man
His skin is a battle plan
For wars he fought that came to nought
As through the years he ran

Tomorrow we're moving on
So remember when we've gone
That all we leave is a memory
And cheap prizes that you won

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »
Yeah, there's definitely a Celtic thing goin on ...got only one crit regarding this very good piece..the vocal takes up a lorra lorra space in the mix so when played loud the vocal is too big...otherwise..mega!!! 8) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 09:27:51 PM »
Welcome back Alan. Loved that in yer face acoustic guitar. I thought that the vocals worked well. Interesting lyrics conjure up something that might have happened in a country town on Dartmoor many years ago  ;D Great stuff mate

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 10:09:06 PM »
There are a few names on here, who, when they post a song, I think, I’m probably going to like this, and even if I don’t, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be quality.

Unfortunately, you’re not one of them.

Just kidding, of course you are ;D

This ticks both boxes and a whole load more for me.

I’m sure I could find something to criticise if I tried, but I just enjoyed listening to it.

Nice work Alan.

Yodasdad

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 11:41:50 PM »
Welcome back Alan :) Love everything about this song :-* the Celtic vibe works really well. Loved the violin and mandolin solos.  :)
The sentiment of this song really brings back childhood memories of the fairs that would come though town once a year. We don't see any these days, which is kind of sad. I really like the lyrics in the choruses and your vocals are as wonderful as ever. Each listen gets better and better  :)

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:54:34 AM »
Enjoyed this, The Vox & acoustic have an intimate feel along with a really cool
Celtic vibe groove (love Celtic , I cant play it but enjoy those who can!) Lyrics
are spot on for this, Like Shadowfax said for us who listen loud the main Vox
is a bit overpowering but very nice job this !!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
Hi Alan - Interesting topic - probably could be set in any tone period (or at least any time when they had machine guns!).

The “butterfly on the wheel” quote made me think - it’s quite brutal in a way, and takes us into the perspective of the fairgrounders, not really valued except as a passing amusement.

Love the guitar in particular, very nicely played and recorded, and the fiddle. Perhaps, though it could be just me, I could have done with something supporting the low end, maybe a bigger bass drum sound? Not very folk, though!

Another quality track from you, good to see you round here again.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 07:45:08 AM »
Alan, hi and welcome back.
I remember it well, cool lyrics as ever.
Vocals sound great and I really like the drumming.
It really came alive with the fiddle at 2.18
My only thought is a can’t hear any bass, is there one there?
Thanks for the share, I’m hoping we can here more montydog soon
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
Alan - @montydog - Really like this one, all close mic'd and super clean, Wonderful production, great ideas, hooky lyrics, can't add anything,

Gave me the same images in my head as 'For the benfit of mr kite'

+1 @Neil C - Hope to hear more from you soon.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
Hi Alan. Good to hear another of yours. This one feels a.little more raw in terms of production than some of your previous tracks. Quality of the songwriting and vocals shines through. My listening experience is different to some of the other posters. I actually find the guitars a little too upfront. Not the vocals. It sounds like the guitar was right up close to the mic. For my ears perhaps a slightly softer or even reverb effect on the guitars might work. Also think a bit of bass wouldn't hurt. Love the fiddle
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:41:26 PM by mickyplankton »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 09:45:04 AM »
Lots of interesting textures in that backing track and curious elements drifting in and out. I particularly liked the accomplished instrumental break and wished it could have gone on longer. I got a kind of nostalgic feel from it, those travelling 'carnies' seem to belong to a childhood long since past. Well sung as always.  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi Alan, pretty nice job, nice tight structure lyrically but not much progression in the story which normally could be an issue for me but given the context of carneys, roll up see what we got, off we go, it fits nicely here. Geoff

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 05:57:25 PM »
I like Celtic, so this works for me. Plus, I think Celtic is appropriate for the subject matter, anyway. The only thing I noticed has nothing to do with the songwriting, only pronunciation, because I'm OCD about it--so I would prefer to hear "lead you" rather than "leadjoo". Pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. I always love fiddles/violins. I heard organ, too, right? Perfect for a fair/carnival theme. Do you play all those instruments? I'm impressed!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »
Great folk feel to this @montydog - I always struggle with "celtic" cos here in Ireland we never refer to our music as such (and I know you're not saying this is Irish but I guess we fall into that "bucket") but I recognise in particular the rhythm guitar playing as suiting our trad/folk genre as well as when the session really gets going at the 2.18 mark - gorgeous really and beautifully played parts.. and of course the vocal is smooth as velvet and really quite lovely..

I love the lyrics - they tell a great tale but even more than that they are beautifully crafted - I loved "scene stealers" most :) !.

K

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 05:34:59 PM »
Hi Alan, loved the acoustic guitar sound, how did you record it? Great lyrics as expected.Very good song, well produced and sung. Enjoyed the solos too.
Good work

Cheers
Jamie