New song-The Journey

• 20 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 17, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
Hi all, this is my new creation. Been thinking for a while of doing a prog rock type concept piece. So here are parts one and two of what will hopefully be a longer piece. Not the usual verse chorus or ABACAB type structure, but hopefully interesting enough to hold attention.Some nods to prog rock instruments and ideas. A bit of a 'cut price' Ancient Mariner vibe ;).Any way all constructive criticism welcome.
Cheers
Jamie

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/the-journey

The Journey

Parts 1 and 2
Dawn
Voyage

Sail away, eternity, till the end of time
No return,to find a way, will there be a sign

Forever gone, hope is lost, where else can we go
Find our way, through the night,a fearsome west wind blows

No return, no way back, life consigned to fate
Cant look back, time gone by, God guards every gate

Destiny,a piper plays, listen to his song
Carry on, brittle should, it may not be to long

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 03:15:37 PM »
Very ambitious piece of writing, I like how it drifts through the various movements so coherently even though there is a deliberate lack of repetitive structure.

Must have been a challenge to remember how it all fitted together and evolved. Pulling that off is pretty impressive.

Didn't seem too long though, and it definitely pulls you in all way through., I esp like the melodic final flourish. Kudos for doing something completely different for you and doing it so well.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »
@MichaelA

Hi, thanks for listening. Glad you felt it was ambitious, because I see it that way as it’s not necessarily the type of piece that gets aired here, though there are some notable exceptions. Glad it held your attention, but being a progger, I’m used to 5/10/15 and even 20 min pieces so not an issue for me, but as most songs are 3-4 mins max it an exception to the rule. Any way, glad you enjoyed it! Always worth trying something different.
Cheers
Jamie

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:01:31 PM »
I always have high expectations when I fire up one of your songs.

This one is top-notch. That electric piano thing is great in particular. I couldn't do anything like this in a month of sundays...and as you have done it so well...there wouldn't be any point in me trying!

Lovely vocals and quite amazing that it kept the quality and interest levels right up there all the way through and i still felt like i wanted it to play on.

Super stuff!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 11:22:04 PM »
I’ll be absolutely honest, I saw prog rock and then 7+ minutes and I bypassed this a few times.

I’m glad I gave it a chance though. There were sections that I enjoyed, particularly the elec piano part around the middle and I admire the ambition and undoubtable skill that went in to piecing this all together seamlessly, and I’m not just saying that.

To quote a well known cliche though, it’s not you, it’s me. There’s just very very few prog rock works that seem to light my fire.

I don’t think I’m sophisticated enough, maybe if I had the right drugs??

Yodasdad

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »
@Jamie - love this, a fine journey indeed, the ancient mariner invoked some strong images for me, this i feel is your finest work Jamie, beautiful and well organised, excellent production and each section is a different day on the ocean, different weather, tides, birds...a sight of land.

Too top song

Reminds me of Bill Nelson

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
....one thing i noticed was if you want To make it even more prog if you could drop some strange time signatures in there like 7/4 or 5/4 , makes more work on the drum programming though

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
I thought this was going to be background music but it ended up drawing me in much more than that. The longer structure gives the opportunity for more music and not rushing to any chorus.

It does contain one of my least favorite sounds (the vibrophone-like thingy around 2'45") which is used a lot in jazzier prog rock, but in general I really liked it - plenty of variety and it didn't seem long at all.

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
Well. hi jamie, For me the first part before the first verse came in, I was not enjoying that. If that was to be an intro it was too long. however I did enjoyed listening to your verses and chorus and the rest of the the song to the last note. I think if this song had started with a shorter intro it will be more well received by a lot more people (just what I think)

That being said above I like your vocal style. The production sounds very professional I can see that you have talent. beautiful song.

Irwin

Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 05:34:40 PM »
Hi Jamie,

Haven't seen Ancient Mariner mentioned in the forum before - are you a Maiden fan, or are you referring to Coleridge's original work?
It's definitely proggy  to my ear.
Not 100% my taste, but great job putting it together.
The part starting at 4.27 really does make me think of the sea and sailing. You just drift.....
Really does take you on a journey.

Ambitious and it works.

Digger

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
I like the introduction, the preparation of the trip ...
And when the voice appears @Jamie  .. It's fantastic !! Very balanced volume ... Good job, reminds me of so many good things... which now seems to be impossible to recover ... or not?
Very good work, it has been a bath of what music gave us a long time ago, traveling ...

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening. I was slightly in trepidation posting this song, as many see prog rock as pompous, self indulgent, pseudo intellectual and pretentious, but.... I did it anyway ;)

@PaulAds Hi Paul, thanks a lot your comments are very supportive. Yes, we all have our niches, and I certainly couldn't do most of the stuff you post! Yes, I'm pleased with the e piano sound and solo too.Glad it didn't drag and kept you entertained.

@Yodasdad  ;D, just to say I wasn't chemically supported in the production or writing of this music! 8).Glad you took the time to listen and got something from it. Prog rock is probably my favourite genre and to quote my wife this song sounds like something I'd listen to, unlike most of the other stuff I post here!Yes, I was pleased with the E piano part too. Thanks for your kind comments!

Cheers
Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
Hi all thanks for listening!
I understand a lot of people will be put off by the prog rock tag, but I thought I'd be honest :o.

@cowparsleyman Hi Rich, great comments, thanks. I saw your notes on soundcloud too, thanks! You also mentioned odd time signature, which is also spot on. I always think songs which change time signatures in the song are more entertaining. Can this be done in logic pro x? Glad I painted a picture for you that made sense for the subject!

@adamfarr Hi Adam, Glad you got something from listening. I'm not sure what you are referring to in the instrumentation. There is no vibraphone  in the song. The instruments were as follows, grand piano, e piano x 2, chorale mellotron thing, hammond organ, guitars, bass, drums and vocals. :o

Cheers
Guys

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening!

@irwin, cheers, thanks for your kind comments, I always thought some would find the structure/style a bit challenging, but hey that ok too!Great comments ref the song and singing, its much appreciated!

@digger72 Hi,No not a maiden fan, poetry dear boy... 8).Love your comments ref ambition, as you will see from my other comments previously I know this wouldn't be for everyone. Glad you got something from it!

@moraamarolaloba Hi Mora, delightful comments you are very kind, glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers
guys

Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 07:18:37 PM »
@Jamie - I don’t know anything about logic, but I’m pretty sure that it can be done, imagine all those artists that do this...however there is an alternative if you will play all the instruments yourself...ie not relying on the midi heartbeat, just programme the drums how you want including all the wierd time sig changes and fills, record the bass track so at least the backline is ‘followable’ as it were , and just play along, bit like a stand in jazz session.

If you’re dependent on midi instruments to follow the time sig changes then you’ll have to find out how to put in these makers on the time line, it’s usually a breeze. The other thing to note is that odd time sigs can sound even more pronounced if you use 4/4 or whatever the ‘normal’ time sig is for the song. Woolway was a live drummer, Hazey Purple was BFD3 drum program, both have sections of time sig changes, the former I followed the time sigs, with the latter I pretty much kept to 4/4, ensuring the fills fell in the right place...you might need to play with the Length of the Patterns.

Maybe take a copy and play a while till you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps

Best of luck with it