New song-The Journey

• 20 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
Jamie,
I can't freakin' stand prog rock and that length was a bit of a hard swallow moment. Nevertheless, due to your gold plated pedigree on here, I gave it a listen.

OK, yes, it's ambitious but it does feature your superb vocals and attention to detail in all things. Love the B3 as well. I think you have to have trained your brain to appreciate this kind of thing and my brain is unschooled in these ways. There is a lot to admire here but it doesn't touch me emotionally so I have to give it a thumbs down on a personal front.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
Hi @Jamie An ambitious piece indeed and you've made a great job of it. I love it when writers look beyond what they usually do and push the boundaries a bit/lot. I love the variety and the way that you build it up and bring it down again. A fine array of instruments in there as well. I really like the hammond organ. Great stuff man  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening! I thought it was quite ambitious, I'm pleased that quite a few of you agreed, sometimes through clenched teeth ;D ;D ;D ;D.

@cowparsleyman Hi Rich, yes you were right about time signatures, it is possible and is actually very simple in LP x. I found a tutorial on youtube. I'll give that a try in the not too distant future! I play all the instruments live myself, except the drums, so can only blame myself if I can't work it out! :P ::) 8)

@montydog Hi Alan, I was laughing out loud when I was reading your post, I could feel your tension ;). As I said previously in this thread, I knew that this wasn't for everyone, and that some people will look at it and think, no way......  :P But, as I said I posted it anyway. Trying to educate the masses ;). Loved the pedigree comment you are too kind.Yes the Hammond sounds great, its stolen from Keith Emerson's tone so can't take all the credit :P.

@pompeyjazz Hi John,thanks you are too kind! It's good to do something different now and again, as you and your mates know only too well! Yes, I tried to emulate some of the instruments used by prog rock greats, ELP,King Crimson,Yes and Genesis. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
@Jamie maybe that vibrophone was a mellotron... Nothing wrong with it. Just not my cup of tea!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »
@Jamie,

Melodic guitar introduction, lays the foundation for everything that is to follow.  This is not a genre that I have much experience of listening to. I'm so attuned to writing songs that I pretty much avoid long instrumental sections but I acknowledge your well of ideas here. When the vocals kick in, the melody is there and that is no  surprise as you base all of your ideas on a solid foundation of harmony. Ideas happen abundantly and there are many rewards to be found with the twisting and turning journey that you have embarked up on.

Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening!

@adamfarr No problem 8).

Hi Paul,Loved your thoughtful review. Glad I made you think, and as I've said before I know that this won't be for everyone, so I'm pretty pleased that I haven't upset too many people, as far as I know.... ;) ;D :o

Cheers
guys

Jamie