konalavadome

Perfect Hold Music (collaboration with the South Coast Massive)

• 12 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:56:27 AM »
Hi all
So here's another collaboration with @Binladeda and @pompeyjazz AKA the South Coast Massive.
This one was a backing track from Bin that, to me, had a charming, slightly wobbly analogue feel to it... as if it was being heard off cassette tape down a phone line.  That got me thinking of some lyrics around that theme, and I tried to blend a happy/sad cocktail in the words, imagining a guy waiting for some news he is secretly dreading... maybe test results or something.  Vocally it was right at the top of my range so not sure I get away with it - but you'll let me know.   Pompeyjazz gave great feedback and steered the ship throughout; he has also stuck our nascent album on Bandcamp and it'll be on streaming services near you shortly.  8)
Thanks for any feedback.

Perfect Hold Music

I dialled the number given and in a land so far away
You had to check the system.  Why don't you take all day?
I'm gazing out the window and my reflection's gazing back.
We're looking through each other, floating on a backing track of

Beautiful hold music.  While the whole world is on pause, I've got time to reconcile my thoughts.

I'm thinking of ambitions that I had as a kid: to travel like a restless bird, and though I never did
I'm picturing your office, your headset on your desk.  At least, my mind can wander.  Just let me hear the rest of this

Beautiful hold music.  While the whole world is on pause, I've got time to reconcile my thoughts.
Perfect hold music.  Just keep me hanging on the wire.

Because I know when you come back, it could be bad news, so let me swim forever in this infinity pool of

Perfect hold music.  Just keep me hanging on the wire.
It's all too beautiful.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »
Very well constructed song guys, with lots of interesting instrumental sounds, I especially like those tinny new wave style guitars and that whipping technique on that very muscular bass.

It's a well considered theme too, but maybe one of the best thing about the internet is you spend less time in call centre queues these day. Still too much time but not as much as before.

I thought the vocal was comfortable for you @PaulyX, no issues there, and the secondary baritone vocal was a cool enhancement.

It's a catchy enough song for sure, captivating throughout and much enjoyed. The only thing I thought you could have made more of was the chorus backing, which maybe could have had some heavy reverb celestial 'beauty' coming out in, panned wide. But then again, subtlety is not my strong point, so take that or leave it! ;)

Very cool!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
Great track guys,

Solid song ideas too, we can all relate to this,

As for vocal range Pomp, you are on it, sounded cool.
Track for me had lots of interest,

Great sound.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
interesting sort of..Beach boys meets Squeeze sound..to my cloth ears anyway ;D thought yer singing was ok mate, sounded well within range, as already said, chorus could've been a bit stronger in the effects dept but as an actual chorus it kicks ass!!

good stuff all round :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »
Cool song and lyrical ideas. Like the way that the verse flows into the chorus and the way you keep that challenge going each time.

The low harmonies are effective too. The guitars and bass give a floaty sensation and never feel cliched.

That floatiness did at time make me miss a rhythmic element to keep it all together - around 1'00 when verse two starts and the energy picks up I felt I could really use a snare/handclap/crossstick/tambo(?). Maybe even just once a bar. Anyhow...

Love hearing your stuff - some amazing originality going on on that coast...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »
@PaulyX @Binladeda @pompeyjazz - Really liked this one, the lyrics and dual 8va LVox were sublime, real classy stuff guys, I put it down to lots of Sea Air and kiss me quick hats...

Can't offer any improvement, I might have done another Track trying to sound a bit Bowie - ish, but it's really excellent.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 02:57:23 PM »
Hi Guys,

With all that talent on board, I'd have been very surprised if this disappointed. And it didn't. Loved the bass and the insistent guitar riff. Also some lovely harmonies gave it an almost West Coast sound at times. Plenty of invention and imagination meant this never dragged. It's ambitious but you have carried it out beautifully. A wonderful thing indeed.

M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
Hi guys, another really nice collaboration, lots to like. Nice idea for the lyric and the usual 'off the wall' but it works arrangement and instrumentation!
Nice work, must be fun doing this.

Cheers
Jamie

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 10:35:52 PM »
Sounds Great guys, The lower harmony really works here Nice job on this!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:50 PM »
Very engaging lyrics and story line, as I’ve come to expect from Mr X. Wish I could come up with stuff like this, with such apparent ease.

Top class production on this, to my ears anyhoo.  Loved the reverb drenched toms.

You guys keep churning out quality choons, I think you’ve found your lobsters in each other.

Yodasdad

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 02:04:28 PM »
Beautiful song @PaulyX
I like many lines of the lyrics, this one is wonderful "I'm gazing out the window and my reflection's gazing back."
and the chorus works fine!!!
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »
Thoughtful, intriguing and good song - nicely put together.....i'm going for the lightning Seeds as what it sounds a bit like -