finding a producer

• 8 Replies

Duke

• Busker
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
Say I have a song I want to produce so that i can perform it live with a backing track and backing vocals, and I have no record deal or anything I have all the chords and stuff figured out, I just need someone to produce it for me. How should I go on to do that? I would want it to sound professional. Until i've gotten a record deal, should I just perform my songs acoustically? and If I meet with publishers and stuff, should I just sing with the piano?

Duke

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »
anyone? by the way, I play the piano.

Cowbell

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
Hi
It is unlikely that you would ever meet a publisher without them hearing a demo first.
If you want a producer then I would advise that you find a studio with an in-house producer/ engineer. Most studios would charge a flat hourly rate for the studio hire and the producer but some of the more expensive ones charge separately. There are lots of good studios out there at an affordable price with talented producers, so it is just a case of searching for something in your area.
Hope this helps

Duke

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
okay, thank you

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
Have a long hard look at StudioPro's website. They're based in Los Angeles and might be able to offer a bespoke service that matches your needs. If you try contacting studios in this country you'll be an old man by the time any of them wake up to reply to you.

These days, no one in the music industry will listen to acoustic demos; they want to hear songs that are fully produced, so if you've got all your backing tracks sorted, see what StudioPros can do. (I don't work for them, I used them recently to record some vocals and they're first class.)

www.studiopros.com

Chris

Beat-Manufaktur

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:22:14 PM »

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
Try these guys for demo production. I haven't used them yet but they seem like a good place to begin.

http://www.petedymond.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Beat Poet

• Busker
    • Drum Tracks Direct
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
Have a look around your local universities, there are always budding graduates who will mix stuff for free. Alternatively, you could find an online producer.

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
A great production isn't limited to huge studios.

Also, no studio will turn down the opportunity for money. The general rule is, the better a reputation/equipment/engineer at a studio, the more you will pay. Of course, good shopping around will ensure you get the best bargain.

Record deals have nothing to do with getting a good song produced, unless they loan you money to do so, but it's not going to happen without some good tracks of your own.

There will be a lot of freelance engineers with an adequate setup willing to offer services at a low price (You must rememeber that a lot of outboard is unneccesary in the digital era, so you have to ensure that they have money spent in the right places. A good microphone (Worth £400 or more) is RECOMMENDED, however a skilled engineer can pull good results out of a cheaper one.

You may find that getting recordings for free, even from graduates may be difficult but not impossible. A person who is skilled enough to make money from it, may well end up making money out of it (Why not?). But you can expect to get a decent recording for around £50 if you look really well and ask the right producers. Soundcloud is a very good resource of VERY low budget music and how well they sound. Bedroom producers are a very easy target as they have their equipment for the love of making music, and would be happy with a small contribution, like myself!

Another trick you can manage, is if you can find a really amazing producer who's cheap to free, but they have a terrible microphone so you end up sounding rubbish, but you may even have a friend who has a decent mic, so get a good mic take, and get your allocated producer to make something with them.

I wouldn't trust Mihkays recommendation until I see something else other than price. The sound that they produce may well be amazing, but there is no indication as to whether they would have the right sound for you. They have many claims with no examples, it'd be nice to have a few audio demos on the site and maybe some tech specs.