• Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 08:05:05 PM »
This is great. Really enjoyed it.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
@Jamie - It's cool Jamie - I never thought you meant plagarism, Moby Dick eh? I'll have to check it out.

@pompeyjazz - Thanks John - appreciate it.

@Sterix - cheers man.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:34 PM »
Fantastic flash back to the 60's Rich.  ::) Amazing job putting this track together. Sounds very authentic and fab job on all the instruments.
You can really giver on that guitar 8) This is a good genre for you. A very enjoyable listen  :)

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 08:18:12 PM »
Hola @cowparsleyman
I love everything that happens without happening, I find that it is a silent engine that does not stop turning, of course there are those who take advantage of it and those who do not, so having not been in that concert I had a great time listening to it and getting into the ambient, a bath of everything that was not and still is not.
Great atmosphere .... !!
Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:16 PM »
Hi CPM
I have enjoyed a number of your genre hopping tracks and this one is a fine addition to your collection. Great guitar,bass and drums showcased by a first class production job.

The only thing I missed was a vocal and I also think that maybe it was slightly too long, But brilliant musicianship and studio skill.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:49 PM »
Very authentic, if I didn’t know better, I’d totally buy this as a genuine recording of the era.

Not often I enjoy a track without a strong melody throughout but I was able to submerge myself in this quite happily.

Like the way you squoze in all the references, particularly the Hey Joe-esque part around 4:40.

Now I put this down to my ears still being a bit gammy but in the earlier part I was hearing the crowd noise mainly on the left. With the band playing face on, I wasn’t quite sure where I was standing, but hey, I guess not many people at that gig in 69 were too sure of the surroundings or what was real.

Nicely done and some tasty playing.

Yodasdad

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 02:18:02 PM »
not sure quite what i was listening to - but if it was retro you were going for - you've nailed it.....Should be in the Tate Modern as conceptual art, interesting concept and idea.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »
Thanks again to all those that took the brave move and listened to this, I realise it's not everyone's cuppa song...I've had to take a bit of a break from music of the last month, but I'll be back again soon.

@crystalsuzy - Thanks Suze, I do my best...

@moraamarolaloba - I just LOVE your reviews, as much as I like tour music Mora, "a bath of everything" sounds captivating...thanks for the review.

@Grubstar - Good morning, thanks for the  kind review, and thanks too for listening to my other pieces, very grateful for that, glad I was on track with this one and that you liked it.

@Yodasdad - Cheers for the review, a good point about the lack of strong melody line, I guess my approach was to keep the interest by moving the melody around a little, the first 'verse' was slightly different to the 2nd, then the rock n roll section, then the smoke on the water hook leading to the organ bridge , then the Hendrix part, then hendrix and blackmore playing out together...a few of the other reviewers said that it needed a strong vocal line on it, I'd love to try someone doing that, usually a higher range than I can try, I wonder if there is anyone here that wond give it a go? I think you're right about the crowd balance, I was aware of this, but might have slipped up in one of the remixes...

Glad you dig the playing, you know I just love to play...

@Morefrog Jones - Morning Morefrog - maybe the Tate Modern is exactly the place, I love it there, with the de Chirco's "uncertainty of the poet" and Picasso's "seated nude" (I painted both of these and are now hangining our dining room), and that thing by Joseph Beuys with the VW camper van and the sledges covered in fat... love it all. (not in our dining room!)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 11:37:52 AM »
I was blown away tbh!!

How many takes did this take? It’s such a epic arrangement and your guitar playing brilliant..

You capture that live sound so well....tbh I listened before reading and thought the track was some composite of live recordings, so to find out this was all just a concept is a treat!

My hat off to you! I absolutely loved this track

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
@Darren1664 - Thanks Darren, glad you liked it, that's very kind of you...How many takes? pretty much just one all the way through  8) the drumming was the thing that took the most time, along with the mixing, and getting the guitar sound right. I also didn't want it to sound too polished, so I kept a couple of bum notes in, and I think there is one drum fill that goes on longer than I would have liked, but in a live situation that often happens when one forgets how many bars you're into a section..(btw...I remember a West End Show guitarist once told me that he had to follow pages and pages of semi breve rests, then fly into action with a solo, on the money, no mistakes...then counting again) I've also heard this from Viola players and percussionists), it's especially hard if you are depping for a musician who is sick, and you really do have to sightread those blinkin dots.

I wanted the ending bit  (the reprise of melody) to sound like Blackmore and Hendrix were playing together, but I don't think that came across at all, I wanted it to sound improvised, but then the listener would realise that to play the reprise together, they would have had to have at least heard once it pre gig.

You're right the only sampled bit was the announcement / Jimi's voice, that was from 'Hendrix in the West' recorded directly off my phone into the mike... didn't Jimi have such as great voice?

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
@cowparsleyman .....liked very much!! Stuck it on for another listen while I write this reply :P I love that opening riff - for me it's very reminiscent of Rush! and it's just grows and get's better from there!

One take!! Jeepers that's impressive....I think the guitar work is as good as I've heard, very accurate playing but still lively and emotive. I think the little bum notes (that I so didn't notice) simply add to that live feel. Life isn't perfect, nor should music be.

Jimi did have a great voice, very distinctive and a really nice tone to it. Very blessed to have the vocal to go with the guitar ability.

Thanks for making this track :)