A love song for Valentines Day: 'You are a good friend of mine'

• 8 Replies

JimboScot

• Busker
  • Songwriter, songwriting tutor
    • Songwriting Magic
« on: February 14, 2020, 01:14:30 PM »
For all the lovers on Valentines day. I wrote this for my wife Pat back in 2012: You are a good friend of mine: 
Award winning songwringer. Writing songs for over 40 years. Most notably wrote with Marti Pellow of Wet Wet Wet and Jazz singer Carol Kidd MBE. Solo artist and band member.

My Songwriting Magic Course: https://www.udemy.com/course/songwriting-magic/?referralCode=9B035131EC5154CA40CB

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »
Hola @JimboScot

I like the arrangement and the song, the rhythm, the cadence. Nice dedication of love. The chorus is beautiful and very catchy!!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »
Hi, welcome. Thought this was a really gentle, touching song. Intriguing percussion - shakers? Nice backing vocals. Great video too, I found those old photos surprisingly moving. Can you post the lyrics please? Bit hard to make some of them out.
It's all too beautiful.

JimboScot

• Busker
    • Songwriting Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »
Hi, Thanks for the lovely feedback; very generous of y'all to say. The percussion is just me dragging my fingers across a piece of paper combined with hitting my guitar. When I was making the songs on that record I was into home made percussion. One of the other songs has me hitting the back of my sofa with a stick. All good fun. :-)

Here are the lyrics:

You are a good friend of mine
You make me laugh, you make me smile
Nobody quite like you
make love hearts, make sunshine

And I love the child in you
dancing round, running too
The brightest star don't shine as bright
as you do when you share your light

And we all need the days
When rain don't fall, rain don't fall
And we all need the days
when love it calls, love it calls

So now we sit, side by side
No need to talk, nothing to hide
But if you could hear my heart would sing
these sweet melodies your love provides

And we all need the days
When rain don't fall, rain don't fall
And we all need the days
when love it calls, love it calls

You are a good friend of mine
You make me laugh, you make me smile

Apart from a couple of songs, the entire album is very mellow. I meant it that way; an antidote to what was a very stressful time.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:50:57 AM by JimboScot »
Award winning songwringer. Writing songs for over 40 years. Most notably wrote with Marti Pellow of Wet Wet Wet and Jazz singer Carol Kidd MBE. Solo artist and band member.

My Songwriting Magic Course: https://www.udemy.com/course/songwriting-magic/?referralCode=9B035131EC5154CA40CB

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
Lovely song, Jim @JimboScot ...a really gentle and relaxed feel to it.

I thought I recognised you from your signature and the link to your Udemy songwriting course.

I'm maybe half way through the course and have found it very useful and interesting.

Great to have you around... I hope you enjoy it here and get something out of it. It's been amazing for me in so many ways.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

JimboScot

• Busker
    • Songwriting Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »
Great to hear you are enjoying the course. :-) If you have any feedback or suggestion for improving it I've very open to them. I want to make it as useful as I can.

As you may have picked up from my approach - I think it is a lot about confidence and belief. Confidence that you have the ability (which of course you have) and belief that you will get that song you are working on finished!

Keep writing your songs.

Jim

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
Well, I like mellow, I like good harmonies, I like home-made stuff (like your percussion), and I love the type of message in your song. So, no nits from me. And now I'm inspired to try something "home-made". Of course, there's a difference between being inspired and having that inspiration last long enough for me to do something about it...so we'll see what happens.

Looks like you're new? Welcome to this great forum. I hope to see a lot more of you around the boards.

Vicki

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
The direct lyrics and straightforward production coupled with a a lovely melody all come together to pull at our heart strings. This has real charm and should appeal to many listeners.

Welcome to the forum.

Paul