konalavadome

Hazey Purple 1969 - Bootleg Live Gig

• 26 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Hi All

This idea came to me again on a Sunday morning lying in bed, I was wondering what to try next, and this idea came up, I just wanted something to happen that never took place, a rather special live gig, and a bootleg recording of that night, rather lo fi, warts an all type thing...I know it's 8:04 mins so a big thanks up front for listening...

...it's cold in your bedroom, it's December 17th 1969, the day before your 16th birthday, and you think you are coming down with a cold, your best mate Harry has brought you a huge poster of your hero Jimi Hendrix, He's wearing his Hussar jacket and his hair is as wild as his playing, you chat all night listening to his wonderful playing on your Mums teak effect stereogram.

You say night night to Harry and climb into bed way too late, feel under your pillow and find an envelope, your too tired to look at it properly, but it's a Deep Purple Gig in Newcastle City Hall, your a bit dissappointed, you're not really into them, but you'll give a rock concert a try.

You go and kind of get into the vibe, although it's VERY loud,  when halfway through one of the seemingly never ending instrumentals something happens that you'll never forget....

There was a rumour that someone made a bootleg recording of that gig, it didn't surface until now....

Enjoy...

Credits
CPM - all instruments, arrangement, mixing and production, headaches, broken strings, blown speakers, patchouli oil, Loons with a triangle of red material sewn in by your Mum, splitting headache in the morning...

Anyway here it is, Gloves Off please...Might well go into the 'Genre Jumping Vol2' as Vol 1 will be released soon as an Album.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 02:15:49 AM »
sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!
Glad I got in that time capsule to the sixties - bell bottom pants and platform shoes and all.Thanks for sharing the bootleg - hope you don't get into any trouble having it  ;D ;D

Paul

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:49 AM »
Ok gloves off....You nailed the vibe and feel of what could have been, well played
& Arranged ! Sounds just as it should, Fantastic job :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 09:16:34 AM »
Waddya mean this never happened? :o 8) ::) :P..I was there mate and it was awesome..you've captured the night perfectly... ;D ;D 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »
Well you’ve absolutely nailed it, with modern production quality.
Loved the crowd in there and a good bit of zep in there too.
8 mins is about right for the era :-)
Great guitar playing and some lovely bubbling bass
Just needed a screaming vocalist!
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
Hi, brilliant .love it,great idea, captured the feel. Deep Purple are the loudest band I ever heard. Great playing and I too got a touch of Led Zeppelin in there.
Brilliant production and playing.
Excellent!

Cheers
Jamie

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »
Yeaaaah mate, that was 2 rather exceptional tribute acts for the price of one.
In fact  make that 3... I'm pretty sure John Bonham did a turn on the drums too at a few points.
I always love the very well developed back stories you have for your songs.  No idea how you come up with them, but they transport me to the vibe you are creating for sure.
Loved this, it is beyond critique, no surprise the crowd were going batshit for it throughout.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »
Hey CPM,

What a blinder! How to make a track sound like Deep Purple without copyright infringement! Superb musicianship and production. It is a little long if I'm being brutally honest but you can't have too much of a good thing.

M

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:02:26 AM »
Astounding work! I wish I had 10% of your imagination. And I execution is really, really amazing, it must have taken so long to do this. Your guitar playing is top notch and your use of effects to get it to sound like a bootleg shows real expertise. Like someone else said, you could have borrowed Ian Gillan or someone to add some high pitched screams!

I am in awe Mr CPM.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 10:43:34 AM »
Really appreciate the feedback, it's always gives me such a huge confidence boost to know that other songwriters dig my work, thanks very much indeed.

The thing is I'm not really a heavy rock fan at all, I was never into Purple, or Zep (Michael Tadman who sat next to me in Biology was mad on them), in fact I have only heard 'Stairway' and 'Smoke' and nothing else, I was, however, more into Jimi, I loved the way he ripped everything apart, a black guitarist with 2 posh white blokes, a 3 piece, no rhytmn guitar, the way he used his left fretting hand thumb...and of course his lyrics and that voice....so soft, not like screams of AC/DC or Zeppelin.

I was partly inspired to do this by the intrigue of tecnically how to capture a live gig, and partly by the somewhat surprising response to 'Woolway', I honestly didn't you it would go down too well here.

From a technical angle this song was indeed a challenge, The drum programming (fxpansion BFD3) was quite difficult (I could never play like that!) especially the fills (I was always a sucker for triplet fills), I also wanted to make it sound convincing as a live gig, didn't want to be too slick, a few mistakes here and there...

@Paulski - No knocks on the door yet, would you like a copy? only nineteen shillings and sixpence.

@Bostonfan2 - Cheers man, yeah I would have given anything to see Jimi (My boss at work saw him..), might do another 'gig that has never been' any ideas?

@shadowfax - Honestly, was there a Purple/Hendrix gig?, really? When was it? I 'll have to google that....

@Neil C - Thanks, I 'spose a screaming vocalist would fit, I'll put my feelers out to a few on the forum...How about you Neil, you'd be welcome.

@Jamie - Thanks, I honestly didn't make any attempt to sound like Zep, as I don't really know any of their stuff, so that was completely by chance Jamie, which bits sound like Zep?, so I can at least be aware of the sound.

@PaulyX - Glad you like the backstory, I enjoy writing them, to me they are as much of the experience (no pun intended) as the music...The crowd was one area thet I was particularly unhappy with, in fact there are 3 crowd samples, 2 were free downloads from a fx site, and the 3rd was part of Hendrix in the West (recorded from my phone directly inot my mic!) intro to the band on God save the Queen, I can alwys hear the differences, and it still bothers me, so glad they didn't put people off, I know now you'll be listening out for them... 8).

@montydog - Hi Monty, lovely to hear from you...I thought it was a tad short in places  8), I did wonder about making some of the Hendrix numbers a bit longer...felt a shame to stop on 'Red House'. Glad you liked it.

@Bill Saunders - Blimey you're too kind, I just love playing, and making music...it was done over a 5 week (period just before Christmas, I'll explain how the sounds were achieved, maybe it'll help others here. Slowish bpm, although live gigs are usually faster than albums, due to nervous energy, and the fact that the songs are so well rehearsed by then that they are just easier to play faster.

Organ is an Arturia V collection 7 Hammond B3
Piano is a just a std piano from my Korg N5ex synth
Drums were BFD3 heavy kit which I customised (there are 2 snares) and re tuned, there was a bit com ACME XLA3 compression and Soundtoys Decaptitor (marvellous thing that is in small doses) on the drum buss.
Bass Yamaha RGX 350 though an Amplitude Ampeg Sim

Amp sims - Purple bit = Strat & Waves PRS Supermodels Archon and Dallas, Purple Solo = Yamaha SG 1000 & Amplitude 4 Mesa Boogie Triple rectifier, Hendrix Bit = Strat (Fender fat 50's pickups, selected in neck position)- plugin alliance bx_rockrack 800 clean channel, just pushed, used automation to change the level of the gain when he starts the solo, did try to use a Amplitude 4 Wah fx but that didn't convince me at all!

I tried a few amp sims to get the Hendrix sound right, and I was completely surprised that the PluginAlliance (UAD) won the day. I would have expected the Amplitude to be more suitable, as a result it went up in my estimation quite a bit.

On the Master buss there was smidgen of bx_townhouse compressor, then Elysia Museq M/S EQ, just sparkling up the sides a tiny bit, and trying to keep the bass fequencies focussed in the middle, Lexicon MPX Native for the concert hall Verb (the amount was crucial for the concert hall sound, and took a few tries to get it right), and the Sonnox Inflator after that.

For those who don't know, the Hendrix songs there are: Power of Soul - Live at Filmore East, Castles made of Sand, Red House - Hendrix in the West and If 6 was 9, and the outro is sunshine of your love by Cream, which Jimi completely nailed live on the Lulu show on the BBC.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 04:42:37 PM »
You're at the top of your game with this one @cowparsleyman. I know you like genre hopping, but you should stick with this one a little longer as you've got it nailed. Must have taken a lot of working out to get through all those sections - and the live gig interplay  - if only we could go back to that era and you'd be a mega star!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
Hi Cpm,

This is a great idea for a track, Rockin too, Since it was the year I was born....

Great instrumentation and totally captures the feel of those crazy drug induced bands of the time....Crazy peeps.

As I am just a whip of a lad, @Mikey was there....more his vibe..

Sounding great, time to crack out the purple velvet suit

Top work Fella.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 06:36:27 AM »
An easy listen and convincing pastiche - great live atmosphere sounds. Great back story too (as ever!)

The one thing I noticed is that the crowd seemed quite patient and subdued during the Jimi part - I might have them rise and fall a bit more or have some random shouts or whistles during the quieter parts.

However, amazing job and you really nailed what you set out to do! Again!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 01:08:29 PM »
Thanks again gents.

@MichaelA - I might just do that, I rather enjoyed the ride...if only...can you imagine the poster, Deep Purple with supporting acts, Metallica, AC/DC, Cowparsleyman...maybe not huh? what kind of merch would I release? would I really be approached by gibson for a signature /Custom Shop guitar range? Would I be able to cope with the endless radio interviews .."and why are you called Cowparsleyman?" hmmm....

@Cawproductions - @Mikey - You can borrow @pompeyjazz 's Purple velvet suit, I'm sure that cool dude has one.

@adamfarr - Cheers Adam - Your'e quite right about the crowd,  good call Adam...I based the response on Hendrix in the West, I listened to the whole thing a few times on my lunchtime walks around the block, and they really were pretty quiet...maybe it's the combination of deafness and LSD, and his spell binding playing....I did actually think about tracking whoops, whistles etc, so it sounded more like I was standing next to someone in the audience, but, sorry to say, I couldn't be bothered...I kind of ran out of time..

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »
@cowparsleyman
Hi Rich, I wasn't suggesting plagiarism or anything like it :o. It was the phrasing of the opening riff, it made me think of a song from Led Zep 2, called Moby Dick. Not anything like it, but if you listen to it you may see what I meant. Good stuff!

Cheers
Jamie