konalavadome

Ever hear of StreetJelly??

• 2 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Anyone here ever use streetjelly.com? I looked it over briefly. People can play their music there, as in, perform. I checked out a couple of them. I think I only heard covers. I would think some would play their own music, but I don't know for sure. The thing is--it's live music only, although it looks like shows are available for a short period of time for replays once they're over. Looks intriguing.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
I had not heard of it, but it certainly seems interesting. Looks like mostly for covers and great for buskers. I suspect it would take a lot of time and effort to build any sort of audience, but if I get the time , might try it .... would be interested to hear from others of their experience.

Cheers

Kevin

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 02:14:40 AM »
I've been watching some of the shows, and there is a mix of those who do covers and those who do original work. Those who do original work tend to alternate with covers, as audiences have a tendency to want to hear something with which they're familiar. I suspect, over time, they get familiar with a lot of the original work of artists who have been having shows there for a while.

I'm working up to having a show. I haven't worked out all the tech stuff yet--it would be nice to have my own tech department! Plus, we're moving to a different apartment sometime within the next month, so I've stowed some of my gear and won't have it back out until after the move. And I need to practice, so I appear somewhat proficient in a live setting. I don't memorize songs easily, so I think I'll use a crutch of some kind for the words. And backing tracks to remove some of the performance pressure. And, like you said, @kevysc it probably takes a bit of time to build your audience/following.

Right now, as I mentioned, I'm taking in some of the shows and chatting with other audience members, so getting to know them. I think, having them get somewhat familiar with me ahead of time might get some of them to login to my show.

It occurred to me...if there's one site like this, there are probably others. So I did some searching and, sure enough, there are others. I like how this one is set up (probably because I'm already a little familiar with it), so I think I'll stick with it.