konalavadome

Island

• 5 Replies

House463

• Busker
« on: December 28, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
Hi all.

This is the first post for me. BIG music fan. Thought I would try my hand at writing, any help or advice would be great. Thank you.

Song below is one of the favourites I've been working on. Very relative topic at the moment focusing on mental health with emphasis on men opening up to each other.

Island:

It's on everyone's lips
But we still don't talk
I know I never told you
Oh god I hope you know

Your father thinks
It's weakness
Your not starving
But it's real
Oh it's real

Your anchor kept me safe
From storms and sirens
Look at me the same
Please look at me the same

Don't worry brother
I'm right here for you
Don't worry brother
I'm right here for you
Don't worry brother
I'm right here with you

The shoulders of the many
Can take any weight
Don't worry brother
I'm right here for you

Don't worry brother
Don't worry

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
Hi House,
And welcome. Neat lyrics to a relevant theme. Favourite line, the shoulders of the many...
you've not got any rhyming scheme but I dint think that matters in this instance.
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

House463

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Thanks @Neil C

Rhyming isn't something that really comes naturally to me, I have tried it in some other songs which I'm sure I'll get round to posting at some point but for this one I went more for repetition to try and get the catchiness (as well as the point) across.

Really appreciate your feedback though, thank you!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:43:04 AM »
From my read on this, I'd say that rhyming has a time and place where it's relevant and important, but your lyric isn't such a time and place.  Sometimes I see poetry/lyrics where trying to make things rhyme would become artificial and interfere with the communication. 

I'm a compulsive "rhymer."  It's rare that I write anything that doesn't rhyme.  But I can certainly appreciate poetry/lyrics that doesn't rhyme.  I wouldn't make any concessions to rhyming in THIS lyric/poem. 

That's not a statement that would cover everything you write.  It's a "case by case" basis.  But this one is perfect like it is to my eyes/ears.

One other thing.  I read your lyric before I read your comment/explanation on/of it.  I loved it.  I don't love it any less after reading your explanation, BUT, now it just means what YOU meant when you wrote it.  Before I read your explanation, it meant "something I couldn't quite put my finger on" and "something I had to figure out." 

Now, there is nothing left for me to figure out. . . and one of the reasons for re-visiting your lyric is gone.  (Same applies to giving "another listen" to a song.   

Something I've learned is that what a lyric I've written means to a reader/listener is every bit as important and valid to that listener as what I meant when I wrote it.  And many of them WILL see it differently than I meant it.  Seldom does it mean to "them" what it meant to me as I wrote it. 

As writers, (if we want to be taken seriously as communicators) it's very important to treasure the interpretations of our audience and the thoughts and emotions that we evoke.  I'm not saying "don't explain songs."  That's always a hard decision for me, and I think for every writer. 

But I am saying to be very conscious of treasuring their interpretations, ideas, and emotions. 

Hope that helps you as a writer.   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:54:21 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

House463

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
Thanks @hardtwistmusic really appreciate your comment.

I totally get what you mean. Part of what I love about music is that people can find their own meaning in a song and they can connect to a song in their own way. Maybe I will be a bit more careful with being upfront about what I wrote a song to say so that I don't rob people of the chance to get out of it what they want.

Thank u.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
"careful" is the right way to be.  Don't just decide to explain, or not explain.  CAREFULLY consider what the explanation will provide and what it will take back.  There are no "right answers" in art. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.