konalavadome

Homeless In A Heartless Land! Festive comp.

• 13 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: December 21, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
Well hopefully this makes the deadline for the Xmas competition :) Who knows what time it is over on your side of the planet  ::)
I didn't really have a whole lot of time to put into this track, but I hope you get the gist of what I was trying to do. I don't know how well it flows between the different parts :-\ It needs more work I'm sure, but didn't have the time :) I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and happy holiday :)

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/homeless-in-a-heartless-land

It’s that special time of the year
We shop till we drop and spread lots of cheer
Have turkey dinner with family and friends
Get the latest ipads and clothing trends

I’m a dirty old bum, living on the street
I didn’t choose addiction as my disease
I can’t control my cravings or my broken mind
I’m hungry and cold, most of the time

I’m homeless in a heartless land
Ya, homeless in a heartless land

Can’t you see the twinkling lights?
Can’t you hear the bells at night?
Santa’s coming with his loaded sleigh
Bringing lots of toys for the kids Xmas day

Can’t you feel my pain, can’t you hear my cries
Can’t you see the suffering in my eyes?
So much consumption and so much waste
But the poorest of the poor don’t even get a taste

I’m homeless in a heartless land
Ya, homeless in a heartless land

We give hampers to some of the poor
And the kids get a toy, that’s for sure
We open shelters when it’s really cold
We can only do so much; it’s out of control

Mental illness, addiction and brain injuries
We’re treated like we have social leprosy
Why is our disease treated so differently?
Than lupus or asthma or diabetes

So much Stigma….

So many homeless in a heartless land
Who’s at fault, who’s to blame?

We just want a little compassion; a little dignity.
We’re human beings not aliens. Why are we shunned?
We’re not contagious. We didn’t choose this life.
Maybe we’re here too help you expand your hearts
So that you can love unconditionally.
After all, how would Jesus have treated us?

The world needs more love....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 12:13:13 PM by crystalsuzy »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »
Hi CS, nice piece of social commentary, a problem pretty well everywhere. Loved the twists and turns of the arrangement and the instrumentation. Probably the best harmonies I've heard from you, really good. Your usual  unexpected twists and turns.

Merry Christmas!
Cheers
Jamie

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:25:40 PM »
Wow, that's three or four songs in one... a real journey... but it hangs together really well thanks to those surprising segways.  I really like the bluesy bits and the soully ending in particular.  Bits of it reminded me of Prince in a playful mood.  Utterly unpredictable and original, nice one Suzy.
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
I'm really glad that you managed to get your submission in Suzy. Great, poignant lyrics. Your songs are like musical adventures where you never know where you're going to end up. That's really exciting and refreshing.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
A fantastic Christmas journey...switches effortlessly between lovely images of fun and frivolity and then kicks you in the teeth with the uncomfortable truth...all wrapped up in the inimitable style that's all your own.

Super sentiments behind this too...I loved it and thank you for highlighting the plight of those less fortunate than us at what must be a pretty grim time of year for some.

Great stuff, CS!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »
Hi Suzy,

Classic CS tune; lots of clever twists and turns and thoughtful and thought provoking lyrics.
I do like the darker side of looking at this time of year; It's not all turkey and tinsel.
Like the gospel ending. Where'd you get all the voices?

What I like about your tunes are that they go from A-Z with lots of zigzagging.
Mine go pretty much A-B.

Have a great one.

Digger

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
Hi CS, nice piece of social commentary, a problem pretty well everywhere. Loved the twists and turns of the arrangement and the instrumentation. Probably the best harmonies I've heard from you, really good. Your usual  unexpected twists and turns.

Merry Christmas!
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks so much for your kind words Jamie. I kinda had to rush this one, just to get it finished in time. I wasn't even sure I'd post it because I thought maybe there was just too much going on, so I'm glad you enjoyed all the twists and turns.                 
I hope 2020 brings you the best year ever!

Wow, that's three or four songs in one... a real journey... but it hangs together really well thanks to those surprising segways.  I really like the bluesy bits and the soully ending in particular.  Bits of it reminded me of Prince in a playful mood.  Utterly unpredictable and original, nice one Suzy.
Thanks PaulyX! Love the "Prince in a playful mood" reference! I'm glad it held together for you, despite the 4 songs in one :) I'm still not sure whether the speaking bit adds anything or not?

I'm really glad that you managed to get your submission in Suzy. Great, poignant lyrics. Your songs are like musical adventures where you never know where you're going to end up. That's really exciting and refreshing.
"exciting and refreshing!" Can't ask for much more than that John :) Wasn't sure if this song was worth entering, so much appreciated. :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
A fantastic Christmas journey...switches effortlessly between lovely images of fun and frivolity and then kicks you in the teeth with the uncomfortable truth...all wrapped up in the inimitable style that's all your own.

Super sentiments behind this too...I loved it and thank you for highlighting the plight of those less fortunate than us at what must be a pretty grim time of year for some.

Great stuff, CS!

Thanks for such a thoughtful and kind review Paul. I'm glad you found the switch between genres smooth. I was a little worried about that.
There seem to be more and more homeless these days, even in my small town, which was once a rare sight. Fortunately a new 44 room housing unit was just build and some of the homeless, were moved in before the weather dropped below freezing.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 04:47:11 AM »
Hi Suzy,

Classic CS tune; lots of clever twists and turns and thoughtful and thought provoking lyrics.
I do like the darker side of looking at this time of year; It's not all turkey and tinsel.
Like the gospel ending. Where'd you get all the voices?

What I like about your tunes are that they go from A-Z with lots of zigzagging.
Mine go pretty much A-B.

Have a great one.

Digger

thanks for taking the time to listen and leave your kind comments digger. Means a lot coming from you. The gospel BV voices in the outro are garage band samples. I thought you'd like the darker side of Xmas :) I love your A-B songs.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »
Hi @crystalsuzy

I love your song, full of fun but depicting so well the differences.... lalalalala I love this....
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
@crystalsuzy,

This is quirky contrasting and delightful. I love your verse sections where the vocals especially shine. This held my interest from start to finish.

Paul

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
Hi @crystalsuzy

I love your song, full of fun but depicting so well the differences.... lalalalala I love this....
thank you so much mora...means a lot

@crystalsuzy,

This is quirky contrasting and delightful. I love your verse sections where the vocals especially shine. This held my interest from start to finish.

Paul

I'm happy that it held your attention throughout. I'm not sure which part you mean as the verse because there are two different ones, but thanks very much for the kudos on the vocals :)

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
Wow. This is so charmingly, weirdly and quirky personal that I lift my hat as to salute you. This is like listening to the child prodigy offspring of The Moldy Peaches and Frank Zappa accordingly. I dunno. But here I am with a grin on my face. Must mean something. And that intermission between verses. Pure inspiration.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 11:23:45 AM »
Wow. This is so charmingly, weirdly and quirky personal that I lift my hat as to salute you. This is like listening to the child prodigy offspring of The Moldy Peaches and Frank Zappa accordingly. I dunno. But here I am with a grin on my face. Must mean something. And that intermission between verses. Pure inspiration.
thanks so much for taking a listen skogge and for your kind comments.
"the child prodigy offspring of The Moldy Peaches and Frank Zappa"! Gotta love that!