Thank You , Songwriter Forum

• 13 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: December 17, 2019, 09:34:23 PM »
First thing off... yes, I'm drunk. Bur it's been one of those days and I needed booze. lots of frikkin' booze! Yes, I've consumed of lots of booze! :D

I joined this forum just over a year ago (seriously, it doesn't feel that long?!!). But in the last year, thanks to joining this forum, I've garnered opportunities I never thought  I'd ever even have a sniff of. For the last year or so I've been writing the lyrics for oother artists. Whilst it's not been all champaigne and roses, I've learned a lot about the "business". It's easy writing lyrics for myself. Writing for other people... not always so!

I started off with one band where, let's just say, I ended up disappointed. I thought I'd written some decent lyrics (at least as a first draft) but the communication between us was prerry much one way and the project fizzled away. What I learned from this was that it's a two-way system collaborating: I get some music, write some lyrics. But then you need some feedback from the band so that I can either touch up the lyrics or re-write them totally. The first band just stopped communicating. Not that they communicated much in the first place. A pity - I loved the music I was writing to.

Then came along a second band. The first collaboration was fairly easy as they liked one of the lyrics I'd published here and wanted to adapt it to one of their tunes. From their we arranged for me to write a lot of their album.

I have to admit I wasn't prepared for the (slow) pace. I'm used to writing songs (lyrics at least) on a whim and several hundred a year depending on how creative I'm feeling. On the other hand, writing for someone else there's a feeling of wanting to get the wording as good as I can get it as I'm writing for someone else and not my own standards. There's an awkwardness to it - I'm not writing just to satisfy myself but other people have got to appreciate it as well!

Still... I must be doing something right because I'm not only writing for this particular band but I'm writing for another band as well (recommended by the first band). So I'm currently writing for 2 bands!

I got my first taste of proper collaberation (as in a song completely created) here too. I must thank pompey for liking my lyrics to Robotic Wedding enough to want to record them. I actually cried when I heard the song played. Although it was sung not exatly as i had it in my head, it was still one of those "wow" moments. My lyrics... for all the world to hear! That was special!!!!!

I'm hoping this year goes from strenght to strength. I'm nervous about it. But I'm also excited about it. This could very well be my "breakaway" year. I'm writing as good as I ever have (I feel) and, hopefully, I'll have something physical to show for it (hey, I have an EGO to feed! ;) )

So once again, from a very pissed (drunk!) Sterix (Martin) - thank you to this forum for providing the opportunity for me to do what I love to do. Hopefully in 2020 I'll be able to increase my horizons and get to work with more of you tallented people.

Love,

Martin. AKA Sterix.

PS. Merry Xmas me hearties!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
Nice one Sterix. Keep it up man  :)
Thank's @pompeyjazz !

Listening to Robotic Wedding was one of the highlights of the last year. Allowing my lyrics for that to be used really was undescribable. I actually cried when I heard the sung version. Thank you.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
Good for you, Martin...you write some great stuff!

Best of luck with your future writing...and thanks for the kind words about the forum.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 10:14:38 PM »
@Sterix It was an absolute privilege to work with your top quality lyr. Not forgetting @ScottLevi of course who belted out a fabulous vocal  :) Music is Power  :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 12:38:34 AM »
best of luck @Sterix  i really enjoyed reading your news..
found it quite uplifting..
go for it mate
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
This is really great to hear

Collaborations can be really difficult but it is amazing when you find the right connection(s)

I had a band cover one of my songs and it really is an amazing feeling to hear something you created being performed by someone else

I am sure 2020 will go from strength to strength for you - and hopefully the forum  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »
:) Inspiring post, sounds like you've been doing really well - reading stuff like this brings a huge smile to my face. Well done on your effort, shows others that all it takes is a bit of drive and consistency to get some momentum going. (Plus, having John around helps :P) <3

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 04:52:44 PM »
Great post. This is a great place deserving of all you say. And your writing is also great and deserving of being heard.
Hope the head's OK today...
Best wishes to all

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
I really enjoyed reading your report of your experiences on the forum. It has done a lot for me, as well. I've tried other forums for songwriters, but this is the best one I've found so far (although, to be fair, I'm accustomed to this one, so others feel "strange" because I'm not used to how they work). I'm so glad you've had a good year. I look forward to your input for a long time to come.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
+1 re John So true, he's always On

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 01:06:06 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your report of your experiences on the forum. It has done a lot for me, as well. I've tried other forums for songwriters, but this is the best one I've found so far (although, to be fair, I'm accustomed to this one, so others feel "strange" because I'm not used to how they work). I'm so glad you've had a good year. I look forward to your input for a long time to come.
I too have tried a couple of other forums as well but this one is the one I feel most comfortable on. Certainly the one I've gelt more at home on, as well as the most welcome. The others have felt a little... "colder" in general.

I'm hoping 2020 will be even better. Since joining this forum I've written more lyrics than I have in a long, long time. I'm hoping this continues.

PS... when I wrote this I said I needed booze (was very stressed)... well I had a bit too much for my own good that night (apparently) from what my wife tells me (although I may have thrown in a diabetic hypo into the mix she says which can complicate things). All I know is that I woke up naked in bed (without a clue how I got that way - I never sleep naked!) and she told me she had to clean out the bath! I have a wonderfully caring wife! She didn't even shout at me for getting in such a state (to be fair - it's extremely rare I will get in that much of a state).

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
So is there a place to peruse your lyrics?..I hate writing lyrics :P
@Sterix
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:39:59 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
So is there a place to peruse your lyrics?..I hate writing lyrics :P
@Sterix
The lyrics section would be a start. I have a topic in the collaberation area which has a link to most of them in the first post (though I need to update that when I get the time!).

I do have a site where I've uploaded quite a number of lyrics (message me if you want access), but I'm working on something different from that way (again, when I get the time).