When my friends say they hate Christmas - I don't believe 'em
'Cause when they hear I'm wrappin' gifts they want to see them
..and they want to squeeze them!

Maybe I'm a sentimental fool
Maybe I'm a dreamer - maybe not
When it comes to Christmas
~ I'm very festivious!
When it comes to Christmas
~ and I'm not even very religeeee - ous!
When it comes to Christmas..
I LOVE ITS GUTS!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:43:09 AM by Paulski »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 04:17:45 AM »
Great production Paul. Clever lyrics and I love all the little asides you have included, certainly makes for repeat listening.

Like a lot of your songs this would be perfectly at home in a stage production. You have a real knack for this sort of thing.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »

Hey Paul, Hope all is well old chap ;D

How can anyone not like this ;D ;D .  Perfect Christmas song Paul. 
 This will definitely be on my festive playlist, in between Bing Crosby and The Pogues ;D ;D

Hope you have a great Christmas mate.

Loved it...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »
Hi Paul, another one of your Broadway classics ;). Great production and playing, the song would grace an appropriate stage show. Very clever, as ever. Don't recall hearing you playing acoustic guitar before :P ;).
Nice one, put a smile on my face!

Cheers

Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »
Hi Paul. As others have said, it's straight out of a Broadway show. Made me chuckle with you sound effects. It must of taken you ages to pull all of those together. You have an uncanny knack of writing songs like this. Well done  :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »
@seriousfun - that you Allan? - welcome back! Thanks for the kind words on this one. Are you still writing? Let's hear some tunes man!  ;D ;D

@Binladeda - cheers bin. What's not to like? Well the word "guts" seems like an obvious choice  ;D That seems to be the achilles heel in this one. Thanks for overlooking it  ;D

@Jamie thanks Jamie yeah sometimes I take my Godin out for a spin though I'm not the guitar player you guys are  ;D

@pompeyjazz cheers John The sound effects are the easy part - just log onto freesound.org they're just a click away. Appreciate the warm reception on this one  ;D

.. and a merry xmas to all who listened  ;D

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
You are prolific in your prolificness my friend, as has already been said and as I always keep saying...your stuff is good enough to on a West end stage or Broadway, great lyrics!! please do something really bad so's we get a chance to offer a critique :(

have a good one Paul :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:28 PM »
Great track Mr Paulski.  Liberal use of sound effects and comedy touches right down to the last second.  And great layering of the track, it ebbs and flows and swells and builds.  By the way, is the phrase "I love it's guts" a thing?  I've never heard it before.  Is it a Canuckism?  I was certainly intrigued by that title.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
In the interests of time and energy, neither of which I ever seem to have, I'll just second everyone else. Well, I'll say a little bit more, but nothing original. I love it! It should be famous and you should make a lot of money. Which is also true of many of your other songs. You have a knack, for sure.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Very very nice indeed.

Has a lively warmth to it...very clever use of near rhymes and is very engaging.

I'd have to say that I wasn't overly keen on the "guts" lyric really... I think I'd have avoided it as a hook personally...which is probably ridiculous for me to say bearing in mind how brutal some of my lyrics are. Our sensitivities are a funny thing, are they not 😃

Anyway it's every bit as good as we have come to expect from you...which is a very tall order...and a definite contented for the paper crown.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
Lovely not lively...bastard autocorrect...my reply wouldn't post at first... and then when I tried to edit it to correct the autocorrect I got some "message body left empty" error...gggrrrr

Anyway... Happy Christmas 😃
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »
What a perfect thing it is. I definitely got and appreciated the "love its guts" expression. I was worried that the comedic bits would be too much but they are very well done.

Without the lyric sheet I didn't understand "festivious" and so I heard "fastidious".

But I think it's turned out fantastically.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
Hi Paulski. I'm always wary of listening to Xmas themed songs because (let's face it) Chris Rea smashed it back in the day and NOONE can beat Driving Home for Xmas. However you run him close with this one and I have to admit I was chuckling all through this one. (Spoiler alert) The line where the present gets broken is hilarious. As others have said this is perfect for the West End and your talents deserve a much bigger audience than the small but merry band of devotees here. Happy Christmas

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »

@shadowfax cheers for that Kevin. Glad you liked the lyrics - I wondered how those might go over  ;D

@PaulyX thanks Paul. It's funny you should mention ebb/flow. I slowed it down 5 bpm for the bridge and back to normal for the rest (mainly because it was too hard to sing at that speed). "I love its guts" is a riff off the expression "I hate his guts" which was a childhood expression of dislike for someone back in the day.

@CaliaMoko thanks Vicky - very kind of you to say that. I don't know about "knack" though - more like "curse"  ;D ;D

@PaulAds thanks Paul - you should really turn that autocorrect off  ;D and you should fill up your message body when it runs empty ;D "Guts" is pretty obnoxious isn't it? hehe  ;D My better half didn't like that word either. Oh well - it seems to get people's attention  ;D

@adamfarr cheers Adam I may have sang "fastidious" - oops! Thanks for the kind comments.

@mickyplankton thanks Micky - happy you found some humour :) Cheers for the West End comment - made me chuckle - I wish  ;D ;D

And a merry xmas to all - it's almost upon us!  ;D
Paul

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
Hi,

It's a very successful piece.
The vocal interpretation reminds me of the way Bowie can go from one intention to another as if he were several characters in one song.  It's very rich, and the structure catches the attention.
The simple and effective acoustic solo is welcome.

It's a really good Christmas story  :D
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189