Fakin It

• 14 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: December 14, 2019, 08:35:06 AM »
Hi all. Its been a while since I posted anything. Been working on this one for a while is half the reason. The vocals are a first take (with a cold) but I have to publish this as its cathartic in light of the absolute disaster that happened in the UK election this week.

This song is dedicated to our Prime Minister. Any feedback welcome and integrated into future updates of this song. Thanks in advance for listening

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/fakin-it-demo-1

FAKIN IT.
Read about you on the internet, and all the good things that you do
But we all know that your just faking it.
Theres a massive disconnect, between what you say and do,
That’s how we know that your just faking it.

Billionaire in PR mode, offering a cash unload, we all know that this is all lies.
Evading tax the default thing, helping people secondary that’s how we know that your just facking it,

2000 years ago, Marcus was the man who knew, opinion is not the same thing as fact. 
your not fit to lick his shoes, because you don’t respect the truth, that’s why we say that your just fakin it.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
@mickyplankton - Your best yet micky - political comment is the truest punk pedigree.

It sounds like a cross between The Skids and The Undertones, so I'm lovin it.

Superb work, maybe some additional angry shouts in the chorus.

Very nice all round.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 03:15:14 PM »
@mickeyplankton

Nice one, got a great punk feel, as Rich said somewhere in the Skids/Undertones zone! Loads of energy and the content suits the genre very wii.

Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »
Well what a breath of fresh air this is @mickyplankton I have to say that I think that this is probably your best piece of work. You've really captured the spirit of 77, Clash influence but your own distinctive style. The production has come on in leaps and bounds as well. Top work mate, loved it  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
Yeah...totally agree with what's already been said...this is really great and you've whacked it out of the Westminster bubble here. Has the essence of real punk spirit spiked with an intelligence that helps set it apart from quite a lot of the other punky protagonists.

Great listening and right up my Downing Street...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »
Love the passionate punk spirit, Micky :) A little too intelligent lyrically to be labeled truly punk, which is a good thing IMO :)
I think you've done a great job with the production and vocals. Punk isn't usually my thing, but I totally enjoyed listening to this  8)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
Hi

Love that this feels like it's on the edge of all dropping to pieces - such attitude.
Vocal seems pushed to the edge.
Music is that simple, in your face, punk of my childhood years.

You don't like Boris then?  :D

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 08:26:55 AM »
Yo Micky - great energy here, obviously "inspired" by something or other. In particular great rhymes - internet-disconnect, mode-upload, shoes-truth. Very cool and sounding great (cold or no cold).

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Can't help but get a bit of a John Otway feel to this, both in lyrics and in performance.
Kind of John Otway meets 90's Britpop.

Very much like it - if I were to change anything I would chunk out the rhythm guitar on it, as it seems to be in a very similar frequency band to the lead.
It results in the rhythm being kind of a wash and a bit lost.

Short of that minor recording critique, I think this is an absolutely awesome track!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 01:40:24 AM »
we're sick of all your lies and bullshit!

Love the f-you attitude in this.
Yeah get it all out - hope you feel better now  ;D

This song is universal - no matter what country you're from we all feel the same about politicians.

Love its guts  ;D
Paul

pnb99

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 02:50:11 PM »

Hi,

I listened to this song 3-4 times.

This is normally the kind of music I don’t listen to so, to begin with, it was a little challenging.

But, by the 3rd listen, I thought it was really very, very good.

Tonnes of energy in the track and the passion in the singing, and the sentiment of the lyrics, (which I wholeheartedly agree with) really came through.

The solo came at just the right time and led to a rousing finish.

My only “criticism” is with some aspects of the mix/recording rather than the song. The instruments seem to be reasonably well balanced but, there is a definite “pumping” sound on either the overall mix, or between the vocals and guitars. Did you use side chain compression on the guitars, triggered by the vocals? If so, it felt like it needs to be a little less obvious. Otherwise, just turning the guitars down slightly and/or making an EQ cut round about 500Hz or so, might achieve the same thing.

If you haven’t used sidechaining on this, I’ve no idea what’s causing this effect, but it was a little distracting.

Whatever it may be, do not change the song itself, its absolutely great.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for letting me listen to your music.

Paul.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
Bags of energy and authentic punk venom.

I look forward to your follow up ‘Boris is a ****end’

I can’t trust my ears at the moment as I also have a cold and they’re a bit blocked. I thought I heard some pumping of the volume though in the first half of the song....probably just my ears.

Good work.

Yodasdad

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
hi @mickyplankton
great song

I wish I could get this kind of groove going. Maybe one day.
good, positive angry and relevant.
oh and fun too.
Nice work!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:50:03 PM by Rightly »
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »
@mickyplankton - Your best yet micky - political comment is the truest punk pedigree.

It sounds like a cross between The Skids and The Undertones, so I'm lovin it.

Superb work, maybe some additional angry shouts in the chorus.

Very nice all round.
@cowparsleyman thanks mate!

Nice one, got a great punk feel, as Rich said somewhere in the Skids/Undertones zone! Loads of energy and the content suits the genre very wii.

Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie
[/quote]

Thanks Jamie

Well what a breath of fresh air this is @mickyplankton I have to say that I think that this is probably your best piece of work. You've really captured the spirit of 77, Clash influence but your own distinctive style. The production has come on in leaps and bounds as well. Top work mate, loved it  :)

@pompeyjazz ahh thanks man took a bit more time on the production for this

Yeah...totally agree with what's already been said...this is really great and you've whacked it out of the Westminster bubble here. Has the essence of real punk spirit spiked with an intelligence that helps set it apart from quite a lot of the other punky protagonists.

Great listening and right up my Downing Street...

@PaulAds Ha ha thanks Boss.

Love the passionate punk spirit, Micky :) A little too intelligent lyrically to be labeled truly punk, which is a good thing IMO :)
I think you've done a great job with the production and vocals. Punk isn't usually my thing, but I totally enjoyed listening to this  8)

@crystalsuzy thanks Suzy!

Hi

Love that this feels like it's on the edge of all dropping to pieces - such attitude.
Vocal seems pushed to the edge.
Music is that simple, in your face, punk of my childhood years.

You don't like Boris then?  :D

Digger

@digger72

Glad you like it. Ha - re Boris - whilst its dedicated to him, its not specifically about him - more about the wealthy and powerful in general who use PR, spin and outright lies to bullshit the rest of us into thinking they are somehow decent!

Yo Micky - great energy here, obviously "inspired" by something or other. In particular great rhymes - internet-disconnect, mode-upload, shoes-truth. Very cool and sounding great (cold or no cold).

@adamfarr Ta Bud

Can't help but get a bit of a John Otway feel to this, both in lyrics and in performance.
Kind of John Otway meets 90's Britpop.

Very much like it - if I were to change anything I would chunk out the rhythm guitar on it, as it seems to be in a very similar frequency band to the lead.
It results in the rhythm being kind of a wash and a bit lost.

Short of that minor recording critique, I think this is an absolutely awesome track!

@David Christy Jones  Hey David - thanks for the observation - not sure exactly what you mean by chunk out but im aware with other comments i need to look at the rhythm guitar. ive duplicated a few of the tracks to get extra volume - rthym guitar was one and i think i may have overdone it,

we're sick of all your lies and bullshit!

Love the f-you attitude in this.
Yeah get it all out - hope you feel better now  ;D

This song is universal - no matter what country you're from we all feel the same about politicians.

Love its guts  ;D
Paul

@paulski thanks!

Hi,

I listened to this song 3-4 times.

This is normally the kind of music I don’t listen to so, to begin with, it was a little challenging.

But, by the 3rd listen, I thought it was really very, very good.

Tonnes of energy in the track and the passion in the singing, and the sentiment of the lyrics, (which I wholeheartedly agree with) really came through.

The solo came at just the right time and led to a rousing finish.

My only “criticism” is with some aspects of the mix/recording rather than the song. The instruments seem to be reasonably well balanced but, there is a definite “pumping” sound on either the overall mix, or between the vocals and guitars. Did you use side chain compression on the guitars, triggered by the vocals? If so, it felt like it needs to be a little less obvious. Otherwise, just turning the guitars down slightly and/or making an EQ cut round about 500Hz or so, might achieve the same thing.

If you haven’t used sidechaining on this, I’ve no idea what’s causing this effect, but it was a little distracting.

Whatever it may be, do not change the song itself, its absolutely great.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for letting me listen to your music.

Paul.

@pnb99 appreciate you considering this aspect of the mix. your suggestions are much appreciated - although i need to do a bit of googling to figure out what to do next. not sure what side chain compression is (dont worry i will look it up)

Bags of energy and authentic punk venom.

I look forward to your follow up ‘Boris is a ****end’

I can’t trust my ears at the moment as I also have a cold and they’re a bit blocked. I thought I heard some pumping of the volume though in the first half of the song....probably just my ears.

Good work.

Yodasdad

@Yodasdad thansk Yoda - no not your ears - i think ive perhaps over amped the guitars and drums - will have a look at toning it down and seeing if it helps - along with the other observations.

@
hi @mickyplankton
great song

I wish I could get this kind of groove going. Maybe one day.
good, positive angry and relevant.
oh and fun too.
Nice work!

@Rightly thansk for listening pal. I would love to be able to get the groove you have so the feeling is mutual!

thanks all for the feedback!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 01:50:50 PM »
Hi Micky,

This takes me back to summer 1977 when punk was setting the world alight. It so sums up that time but you've updated it to be contemporary with our times. Love the delivery, lyrics and attitude. Simple, effective arrangement. Top stuff.

M