konalavadome

Where will we run to?

• 24 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:45 PM »
Hi all, my latest effort, a lyric that follows a well trodden path. The first step to solving a problem is to know you have one.This song could be about a global, international, national, local or a personal issue. I'll let you guess what I was thinking about. Look forward to any constructive comments!

Cheers

Jamie

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/where-will-we-run-to

Where will we run to?

Will we find the tears of Gods
Will there be release
If we run with the dogs
Will it ever cease

And where will we run to

If we feed, feed the fire
Where will we run nd hide
The devils and the gods conspire
Will they be denied

And where will we run to
When the time comes
When it comes

You can't see what you don't want to see
You can't hear what you don't want to hear
You can't feel what you don't want to feel

You can't be what you don't want to be
You can't say what you don't want to say
You can't know what you don't want to know

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »
indeed @Jamie Where will we run to. This had quite an epic quality to it with the descending strings and bass and indeed the organ later on. Some lovely chords there and nice transition into the M8. Solo is effective but maybe the guitar needs to come up front a bit. Another enjoyable listen. I always enjoy your continued quality output  :)

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:48:58 PM »
A real beatle vibe to this. I think its your vocal melodies that create it. Its a quality piece of writing, my only nit would be the opening guitar is a little simplistic with its simple sound lacking character to my ears, but that's being super critical. Maybe if it was doubled or done with harmonies?  The solo later on sounds great.

Vocal delivery and choice of melody is sublime.  I love the way its away from the predictable. Very nice song mate.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
Hey @Jamie,

This enters James Bond territory from the beginning and this is reinforced by the 3 note motif.  I really enjoy your approach to writing. There are so many musical twists and turns.  it really does invite me to consider what you and I  produce when we write together in the future.  I think that we both enjoy a similar musical path that embraces emotion and musical contrast. An excellent song and production!

Oaul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »
@Jamie - Writing as I listen..No idea what the lyrics are about. Love the vibe, the dual vocal line, really like the space you put into it, so many songs have not enough space.. Oh dig that Hammond...superb work on the bridge, maybe the LVox could come up a bit. (only listening on Apple earbuds, so don't chnage anything...)

It might benefit from 2 female BV lines in the last Verse.

Yip nice arrangement, lovely.

I Like your work Jamie, consistently top drawer.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »
Hi Jamie,

I too get a McCartney vibe form this, and a dose of Bond.
Jamie McCartney doing the next Bond theme tune?  :D

Those opening bars sound really good to me.
Well judged delivery, letting the track breathe.
Great production as would be expected.

Nice one.
Digger

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening and commenting!

@pompeyjazz Hi John, thanks for your kind comments. On the guitar solo, I listened to it at different volumes and in the end I felt I wanted the strings/synths to create a 'wall' of sound and I wanted the guitars to be in the wall rather than over or in front of it, if that makes sense? :P Yes I think the organ parts compliment it glad you mentioned that!

@seriousfun Hi Allan, delighted with a comparison to the Beatles, I'll take that anytime ;D. The guitar part you mention in the intro is actually my jazz bass. I was trying to create a harmonic counterpoint to the piano notes, and was noodling at the 'dusty end' of the neck to get the sound I wanted. Great comments  Allan!

@Wicked Deeds Hi Paul, love your comments, and yes of course we should try to collaborate in the future, I feel it could be a great combination! I didn't think of a Bond feel before you mentioned it, but I suppose there have been some great Bond themes (and some turkeys  ::)) so thank you!

@cowparsleyman Hi Rich, Lovely comments again, thanks. Glad you like the hammond and the 'space".I tried to incorporate some of your coaching points in the mix, hope it added to the production!

@digger72 Hi Digger, long time no speak!Hope you are well! Love the McCartney and the Bond comments, I've had he McCartney comments before , hopefully it relates to him in his early career and not so much lately ;).It's cool that you and Rich mentioned breathing and space. It's something I try to get, so pleased you commented on that, as I always feel your stuff does that very successfully.

Cheers guys, your comments help to make the efforts worthwhile.

Jamie

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
Apocalyptic lyrics wrapped in your inimitable musical style...gets better after a few listens...the way a song should be my friend!! :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 12:36:21 PM »
Hi Kev, thanks for listening.Yes a bit apocalyptic, but it could be about an apocalypse..... ;). Thanks you for your kind words, glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers
Jamie

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 03:47:45 PM »
enjoyed this jamie,
like the mood
good vocals .. the chorus gets under the skin
im getting colin bluntstone crossed with barclay james harvest..!
both of whom i have in my record collection..
ask santa for mellotron this xmas
fine work
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
Hi Jamie

Where do you find those chord changes?!? They're fantastic. The chorus is really brilliant too.

Another winner...your stuff is so good!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »
Hi Jamie
This is f-ing awesome.  ;D ;D
Love those chord progs and the vocal is super.
Oh yeah and the organ - well judged !
Not a nit in sight :)
Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 08:22:28 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for listening!

@nooms, yep I’m a fan of Colin blunstone!, not so aware of BJH, but I can see what you mean! Glad you mentioned the chorus, I’m pleased about it too. I have got a number of mellotron sounds in my repertoire.
Might have to use them more often then.....

@PauAds, hi Paul yes chord progressions are my thing, I work hard at trying to write some that are interesting and different without being out there. Glad you mentioned the chorus. Thanks Paul you are too kind!

@Paulski, hi Paul see my comments above about my chord progs! Love your awesome comments!!!

Cheers guys, it’s always appreciated.

Jamie

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »
Hi,

It's a good song that reminds me of Pink Floyd, especially in the intro. The sound of the bass must have a lot to do with it too. The interpretation is successful. I like the melody of the voice (especially around 1'50) and the general atmosphere. 
The entry of the electric guitar brings something to the song.

It's really good work!
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

pnb99

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
Hi,

I’ve listened to the sing 3-4 times.

I think this is a great strong song, but with some arrangement and mixing challenges.

The mood is great...puts me in mind of Thirteen Senses (who I love)

Both the chord structure and melody are very interesting.

The drum pattern sounds good and general choice of instruments are good but there are some playing/recording issues I think with some of the parts.

To my ears, the playing on the piano, strings and possibly the bass needs to be a little more legato in feel than they currently are. i.e. the chords (and the parts) need to flow into each other a little more)

The piano is a little thin (perhaps play bass octaves in the left hand. It would work well with the bass guitar)

Low end needs to be more consistent. It disappears at times.

Overall the mix needs “glueing” together a bit with some light mix bus compression and possible a little mix reverb.

Don’t get me wrong; I think this is a really good song, I really enjoyed it. However, I think it needs a bit more work on the production/mixing side to be not just really good, but great!

Best wishes,

Paul.