konalavadome

Your DAW's Top Features

• 13 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: December 09, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »
Hi all

Just saw @pompeyjazz 's post re: Repear 6.0 I've never used anything but Magix Samplitude..I was just wondering what are the features of your DAW that you really like an that make you not want to look around, conversley, what makes you spit feathers about it...

Would be very interested to hear...

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi Cpm,

Mine has to be the fact that I have almost grown up with Cubase from the days my mate has it on the Atari for his outboard synths, right through to Cubase SX and onto what it is today.

You get so familiar with your daw choice, which means for me, when creativity strikes, boom, I am in, setup and recording in minutes, getting the original idea down.
Then you are just creating all the way and not getting bogged down with tech.

I find I need to work quick, so not to forget or get bored with it.

Cheers
Andy

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:45:43 PM »
cubase too.
It appealed to me right from the start.
It's a means to an end.
I wouldn't claim it to be the best.
It has to work immediately for me, the less fuss the better.
I think the optic works for me.
I suspect the good daws have many similarities.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 01:49:33 AM »
I use Audacity and Reaper, mostly Reaper. I mostly only record on it and then give my vocals to someone else, since I can't seem to figure out production. I've been told Audacity isn't a real DAW; I don't know why, but maybe it's because you can't turn plugins on and off. Once you apply a plugin, it somehow merges right into the track, so that can be a problem. If it was chemistry, it would be a solution instead of a mixture.

I use Audacity when I want to convert a file from, say, m4a or whatever to mp3. Or WAV. That kind of thing. Or if I get tired of generating all those reapeaks files. They create a lot of clutter. If I'm just recording, it works fine for that. But I still usually use Reaper. Habit, I guess. Plus, I feel all smug, knowing I'm using a "real" DAW instead of a fake one. ::) :P ??? :o

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
@CaliaMoko - if it works... qed

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
I’m using GarageBand.  I’ve used old free versions of cubasis years ago but since transitioning to a Mac 10 years ago, GarageBand was the obvious choice, given it’s free.

However, until the last couple of months, i have only dabbled.  I am feeling that I’m reaching certain limits, I can’t my finger on all of them but it just feels like I should have more control.  Maybe more control over plugins, mixer window, better audio editor built in etc.  I do use the excellent Audacity as well but having to export the song with only one track playing so I can import to Audacity seems clunky, but admittedly, I don’t do it very often.

So should i move to another?  Logic Pro is the obvious choice but the issue with any of the alternatives is the cost against t6e free GarageBand.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 11:59:28 PM »
reapers a brilliant DAW..
im low tech to no tech and i clicked with it immediately ..
i had to switch from tape machines to digital and overwhelmed by it all and the language.. and Reaper was a revelation.
its free to download and use but within a few weeks id bought a 'licence' which was about 40 quid and i dont think its much more than that now..
unlike Logic et all, it doesnt carry virtual instruments or gazillion plug ins or whatever theyre called..
its up to you what you want to add to it. it does carry an arsenal of Eq and effex programs of which i use about four !
i dont know but i think you can get slowed up and messed up playing in the sink when all you want is a glass of water..
but im a mizzle git so..

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:01:34 AM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 06:18:25 AM »
So interesting to hear what you do, reaper and cubase seem a popular choice, logic pro seems a good choice for mac users. My own daw Magix Samplitude is very complex but i know it’ll do pretty much anything i ask of it, and sometimes that’s quite wierd, i love the way i can chop up a track and apply different plugins and automate to that chopped bit without having to make another track just for that tiny bit.

I’m a bit techie minded, so i love the challenge, i love the mixer page, and ara integration with melodyne, also the lovely offline fx.

Thanks again for posting.

@nooms i completely understand....

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 07:48:31 AM »
I used to be a Cakewalk Sonar user but transitioned to Presonus Studio one, which was relatively pain free as one you fully learn one day the basics remain the same - there is just a bit of a learning curve to find your favourite features

My current favourite feature in Studio One is the ability to simply click on an audio clip and it works out the chord sequence - you can then make this the “default” chord sequence for the song and imported samples/loops will follow the chords!

Truly black magic stuff

I used to this “by ear” but I am definitely embracing the technology to give me a bit of time back in my workflow
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
I’m on Cakewalk Sonar still on my Win 7 PC which I bought about 7 years ago. Invested a lot of time in it.
Tried to upgrade to free Bandcamp version but all went Pete Tong with Waves VST.
It works and I can work it do I’m going to put off any movement until it’s properly knackered and then go for new combo.
When you only really know one product it’s hard to know what you’re missing but I seen cool features on whatever Pompeyjazz has and protools looked similar.
:-)
Mr Ostrich
songwriter of no repute..

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
I'm on Cubase and it's top feature is the chord track, I also have Studio one and was looking to move to it when they introduced the chord track but found it to be a big let down..certainly not as good as the Cubase chord track which was disappointing because i think Studio one is a better DAW to work with...so I'll be staying with Cubase then..

@nooms  @Boydie
@cowparsleyman @Rightly @Cawproductions
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:05:21 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
@shadowfax

I would love to hear what Cubase does with the Chord Track that Studio One doesn't - I have really put the Studio One Chord Track through its paces and it has managed everything I have thrown at it admirably well - including complex chords

I did find that you have to tweak the "follow chords" settings for the tracks but it has been excellent so far...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
@shadowfax

I would love to hear what Cubase does with the Chord Track that Studio One doesn't - I have really put the Studio One Chord Track through its paces and it has managed everything I have thrown at it admirably well - including complex chords

I did find that you have to tweak the "follow chords" settings for the tracks but it has been excellent so far...

With the Cubase chord track you can play whole complex chords (and any variation of) with one finger.. you can list the chords in the chord track then drag the chord names to an instrument track and all the chords appear in midi form..you can instruct an instrument to follow the chord track without having to input the chords on the particular track....you can produce harmonies based on the chord track...plus a host of other stuff.
When I tried the S1 chord track I don't think it did any of these things (it may have changed) and I have never been in a situation when I needed a chord track to tell me what the chords are in a WAV file..peeps just usually tell me the chords...

would love to hear if things have improved so's I can move to S1 because I prefer it as a DAW..  @Boydie
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:07:26 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 06:27:20 PM »
For me cubase 10, The vocal align,

Saved me so much time aligning vocals, used to be quite pain staking but I can align, multiple channels (as long as the takes are close) with a click of a button.

Not played with the chord track too much but yeh, feels OK, Maybe something I should dig into a bit more.