She is Hope

• 23 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« on: December 08, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »
Having just endured a few years where creative juices and inspiration deserted me, I have become a grandfather for the first time.  Its only appropriate that this special occasion should be the trigger in my life to motivate me to write again.  So this song, "She is Hope" is written about the beautiful grand daughter my Son and Daughter In-law have produced ( I only produce songs these days ).

Its  a song straight from the heart so as such I present with just piano and bass as accompaniment. I feel the stripped back acoustic arrangement will better focus the attention on my vocal that hiding it away amid a full production. This is a special song for me, one of only three I have ever written. My first was when my father in-law died, the second was when I feared I may die and I wrote a goodbye to my wife and of course this one.

You can here it here

https://soundcloud.com/allan-kilgour/she-is-hope

She is Hope
=========

VERSE ONE

It rained and rained for days and days
but the weather broke when she was born

With jet black hair and skinny legs
her pretty face arrived in the morn'

CHORUS

She is loved
she is soft as soap
she's cherished
She is Hope

VERSE TWO

Her tiny nose and wrinkly toes
a perfect babe in every way
Her dark black eyes brimmed with surprise
A miracle has come to stay

CHORUS

She is loved
She is soft as Soap
She's cherished
She is Hope

BRIDGE

Her father loves her
And her mother loves her strong
Her nanny loves her
And her Poppa loves her so much that he even wrote this song

CHORUS

She is loved
She is soft as soap
She's cherished
She is Hope

She is loved
She is soft as soap
She's cherished
She is Hope

(c) Allan Kilgour 2019.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
Hey Allan @seriousfun  - welcome back :)! I remember you from before from another site.. it’s great to hear your music again.. This is a very sweet song - such beautiful sentiments and sincerity oozing from this. Lyrics are beautiful and they are delivered perfectly with this simple piano / vox arrangement. I just loved it!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »
This is lovely. No extra wordiness. The stripped down treatment is perfect. I have no nits.

You only wrote three songs ever?? In your whole life?? Who wrote "That's the Way We Roll"??? One of my all-time favorites, by the way. Is that one of the three? It doesn't sound like a good-bye song, so I am very, very curious.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:37:08 PM »
@monnoDB    Thank you so much for the kind words. This song has given me so much pleasure in producing and comments like yours are the icing on the cake.

@CaliaMoko    Thanks also for your kind praise. I can understand how you are confused, I have re read my original post and its not word as succinctly as I had thought, so its a little ambiguous.  What I was meaning to say is that I have only ever written three songs that are of special significance to me personally.  The total number of songs I have written is of course much, much, much , much greater. Its called the shotgun approach. If I write hundreds of songs maybe one of them will be ok :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
So nice to hear your music again Allan :) I can see why this one is so special to you, it's beautiful. It's so much from your heart, it touched mine.
There can be nothing quite as aw inspiring as the birth of a baby, so your first grand child is a momentous occasion and you've written the perfect
song for it  8) I love the stripped down version and I hope you are inspired to write more music  :)

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:15:27 AM »
@crystalsuzy Thank you for the comments. I also hope I am inspired to write again, only time will tell. But this one was so special, it forced its way out of me.  I have been struggling so much lyrically over the past few years, nothing has seemed to inspire me. I don't want to just write about the same old stuff using different words, and I don't have the creative mind that you have to be able to delve into such strange and diverse areas. You are very gifted in that respect where, dear Suzy, I am a little grain of sand on the beach surround by millions of other identical grains of sand and I just cant see past them.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 06:52:36 AM »
Hey Alan,

It's been such a long time. I hope you are well.

I think you were right to present this song with a limited pallete of instruments. The song takes centre stage. It is heart-felt and proud, This is a lovely gift to welcome your grandchild into the world. Love is the greatest gift we can give to anyone! Fine piano playing, choice of words andca neat vocal. Great to see you around again.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:36:27 PM by Wicked Deeds »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
Hi Allan - great to see you back. I sometimes would wonder where you were, remembering how helpful and encouraging you were to me in my early days on this forum and recording.

Love this one - it has a little tinge of Bob Seger in the piano and lovely original lyrics. Your voice sounds fine to me - I might even raise it a touch in the mix...

Hope you are doing well and we can hear more from you again!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 05:22:52 PM »
Hi Allan, you haven't been around for a while! Hope all is well.

Nicely understated song.Simple arrangement suits the feel of the song too.Nicely done Allan.

Cheers
Jamie

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »
Hello Allan, I think this is the first one of yours I have heard.  Well this has a great heartfelt honesty and simplicity to it and the delicate stripped back production suits the mood very well, as do the calmly delivered, natural sounding vocals.  Heart warming.  Congratulations to you and your family on the arrival of your little 'Hope'.
It's all too beautiful.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »
Hi there, and congratulations on your news! It is very sweet that this inspired you to write a song, and the song itself is as pure and beautiful as anything a grandfather could possibly come up with. A family treasure to go with your new family treasure!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
Hey Allan, great to see you back on the forum after a long time. I remember form my early days and how much encouragement you gave to me.

This is a lovely arrangement full of emotion and you can tell from your voice that it's from the heart.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
Great to hear from you, Allan. This is beautiful. I guess it could have been longer...but I'm only saying that because I was really enjoying it :-)

Hope you get to enjoy many wonderful years watching her grow up.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »
Absolutely beautiful
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »
@Wicked Deeds Thanks for the kind words. Yup, my Hiatus was much longer than I ever thought it would be, but it is nice to be writing again. Long may it last.

@adamfarr Thanks for the welcome back. Its so nice touching base with old friends.

@Jamie glad you like. Thank you for the encouragement.

@PaulyX Thanks for the well wishes. And, yes you would not have heard any of my work before, I have had 3 years away.

@MichaelA Thank you for the kind words. Nice to touch base with you again.

@pompeyjazz Hi mate. That avatar of yours got me at the start. I thought at first you had one of those 'Afro' haircuts from the 70's then I thought no its just a weird hat, now I realise its the background behind you lol.

@PaulAds Thanks for the comments. I kept it short so I could remember the words lol.

@ hardtwistmusic   Thanks for listening mate. Glad you enjoyed,.