konalavadome

Cruel Waves of Time

• 10 Replies

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« on: December 06, 2019, 03:33:52 AM »
Hello again all you lovely and talented people!

I'd like to preface this post with an apology for my lack of consistent activity recently.
Life has a funny way of getting in the way, and I've been battling a creative block for a long time.
Long story short: I discovered David Lynch and got such a blast of creative juice that I started writing again! :) 

Anyway, the basic story behind this one is that a good friend of mine has been practicing writing songs that are very simple and don't have too much going on. In effect, keeping the form simple.

I wanted to give this a go, as I usually go the opposite direction when writing (perhaps this contributes to my writers block?).
This is the result :)

The general theme is my own lonely struggle with depression and self harm while being locked in my shed/studio for nearly 4 years straight and becoming a recluse. It ties into what put me into that place, and how utterly hopeless it felt. I hope that some of this feeling may translate through.

Verse 1
It takes a lot to make a lonely man cry.
But it takes less for him to sit and wonder why;
And ask the same questions time after time:
Was it me or was it you?
Was it fate that saw us through?
Or was it just the cruel waves of time?

Verse 2
There are times when all you can do is sleep.
Others when you struggle to even eat.
But it's always easy to sit and wonder why:
If I changed would it be different?
Would I be lonely beside you?
Or would the cruel waves of time get you too?

Instrumental Break

Verse 3
There are whispers calling soft beneath the trees,
That cause us to pause and wonder why;
And ask the same questions time after time:
Was it lies or was it true?
Was it me or was it you?
Or was it just the cruel waves of time?
Was it just the cruel waves of time?
Just the cruel waves of time?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »

Hi,

Lovely song sir ;D .  The stripped back approach works really well.  I especially liked the delicate harmonies and mandolin (?)
 Got a big whiff of Johnny Cash here, and that's a BIG compliment in my book ;D

A great piece of work...it all comes together beautifully

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
This is pretty special DCJ... has a timeless, trad folky feel to it.  Great subtle harmonies on your voice, crystal clear finger picking and there are some killer lines in the lyrics like 'Would I be lonely beside you?'.  I thought it conveyed the bleakness of 'the black dog' really powerfully.  Anyway great to hear your creative juices are flowing again and hope you are feeling better dude.  Keep the tracks coming.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 01:14:38 PM »
Hi @David Christy Jones - rather surprised at the genre, hadn't put you down for this type of thang, anyway well played and produced, no nits from me, just fine as it is, good voice David.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »
Good harmonies and melody, alot of heartbreak in these lyrics. well done!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Hi David,

Well, as you mention David Lynch, and I love Twin Peaks, thought I'd better check it out. (We are talking about the same David Lynch?)  :)

Cool song. I too get Johnny, but mainly during the first 2 lines of the verse.
Nice playing and the vocals really fit well; they have a world weary detachment but with hints of hope.

Keep battling on.

Digger

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:50:37 AM »
WOW! This is gorgeous David :) I love the simple approach with the song; it suits it well. The guitar and vocals are lovely and I too get a Johnny vibe in the first two lines, but then it seems to take on a bit of a Celtic feel...might be just me :-\  Love the harmonies :-*

There seems to be a few of us lately, that have been going through tough times and a bit of a dry spell creatively. I hope you keep writing :)

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 02:11:01 AM »
WOW! This is gorgeous David :) I love the simple approach with the song; it suits it well. The guitar and vocals are lovely and I too get a Johnny vibe in the first two lines, but then it seems to take on a bit of a Celtic feel...might be just me :-\  Love the harmonies :-*

There seems to be a few of us lately, that have been going through tough times and a bit of a dry spell creatively. I hope you keep writing :)

Thanks so much :) Usually when I write I do have a style or artist in mind. On this one, it was my first recording with my brand new Yamaha Transacoustic so I just let the guitar play itself :P The words followed in a dreamy state and this was the result!
Glad you all liked it!

(Ps: For those of you who also mentioned being big fans of Lynch and Twin Peaks in particular - watch this space! I have something you'll love cooking right now!) 
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 08:06:37 AM »
Hi David. This is a very beautiful song. The lyrics convey a lot of pain but the vocals and guitar provide a very melodic thrust. I like how you have kept the song compact. This is as binlada says the kind of thing Cash was so good at. I think you have your own style but the echo of Jonny Cash is in here which is a very good thing. Keep fighting.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »
Hi, not genre I would choose to listen to, but I did enjoy it. I too got the Johnny Cash vibe which is a big positive. Good song, well sung and played, particularly liked the harmony vocal.Hope it was cathartic!

Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 09:38:52 PM »
Liked the simple approach you took. Sometimes it's much harder to keep it simple rather than disappearing down a rabbit hole of FX and the like