Black Bl**dy Friday plug in mele.

• 7 Replies

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« on: December 05, 2019, 09:03:23 PM »
Hi all,

For the first time this year I have managed to refrain from the plug in sale mele and bought nothing.

Got me thinking.
How many flippin plugins do you really need, I have mentioned on previous posts about how I streamlined my plug in collection to a few favs, but I got the feeling this year that the developers are trying to re invent the wheel.
Each Daw comes shipped with a host of options.

Ok, all the different vintage comps and EQs have been done, we have clean ones etc. add to that every other hardware emulation, I sometimes feel its the same Sh*t -  different plug in interface.

Also with some developers offering subs with a large number of items, do we really need them all FFS?

Its the first year I have felt like this and I wonder if anyone else was on a similar track or have I just found what I like and finally happy, I think not.

Anyway, was just wondering as I know a few of you guys have a large plug in collection.

Andy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »
I couldn’t agree more @Cawproductions

Unless a plug-in does something “new” I have managed to kick my plugin purchasing addiction

I also think there is a lot to be said for the “golden oldies” of plugins - I still LOVE the WAVES Gold Bundle and the WAVES SSL strip and classic compressors

Sonically they still stand up today but they were designed at a time when home pcs were less well spec’d so they are really light on resources with simple interfaces

I remember listing them in a separate thread but I would be perfectly happy with half a dozen plugins and nothing else - the only problem is that you need to kiss a few frogs before you find your Prince!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
@Cawproductions @Boydie - Yip I agree totally, it is very easy to go bonkers on plugins, the question one could ask is "Will listeners hear any difference between plugins?"

Plugin wise I'm sure I have everything I need, my search now is more on the virtual instruments and and sims, as I don't have a Gretsch Country Gentleman, a Ricky 12 string or a Gibson Byrdland I'm on the hunt to get these tones for my Genre Jumping crusade.

It's still a load of fun, blimmin tricky sometimes and yes there are plugins that make the whole thing easier, for example the Abbey Road collection was used pretty much on the 1950's & 1960's songs...I didn't use anything from that for my '80's SAW thing, and different ones again for the '70's funk, some freebies, I know when it's sounding right for the track/mix. But I am finding there are a few that keep appearing, and sound just right.

Your'e right Boydie, my lips have had a distinct Frog flavour 'bout them. I do have a few that I just don't use, and these have been unistalled and written off to experience, with no regrets at all.

I've certainly found that the decision table of a song's sounds contributes greatly to the choice of plugins, and Plugin manufacturers know that, what I mean is this...

Most bedroom artists like us like to experiment, and that's when the combination of "A once in a lifetime deal" meets the lure of "I wonder if I buy this, will  I get the sound I want"...Sometimes buying new strings makes more difference on guitar tracks than many other things, or long nails on acoustic gtr tracks, so maybe sometimes the answer is cheaper and more effective, looking elsewhere.

...Years ago  artists would choose their Studio based on the sound they would get from it, and the producer & mixing engineer. The desk, outboard gear etc, wasn't much, nowhere near the amount that is around in the average bedroom producer these days...(I wonder if every plugin I have turned into it's actual hardware, how much space it would take up....?....shudder to think)

After all this talk ....This Black Friday I upgraded to Arturia V7, bought Sonnox Inflator, Upgraded to Magix Samplitude Pro X4, and I think got Maag EQ4...

...guilty as charged  8) croak croak

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:14:17 PM by cowparsleyman »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
I'm with you - my old laptop died recently and I'm reinstalling things that I actually need. Turns out about 90% less than the things I had. On black Friday I picked up a harmonica VST for 4 quid but that's it.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thats interesting,

As you know I am a Slate fan and think that his subs package covers most of the bases (no pun intended) but agree with Boydie that the old SSL waves stuff is cool though not a fan of waves.

The subs thing was strange at first but much like I fought Spotify when my kids had it, I wouldnt be without it now and It feels like a natural to listen to music this way.

I guess its the winds of change and we gotta move along with it.

Ozone stuff puzzles me too, feels like they are trying to create a plug that you just load on, press and sit back as it creates this perfect mix....Prob not far away looking at some of the new AI stuff. I guess if you have a business then time actually IS money and anything that will aid that is a bonus.

Anyway, great to hear peoples perspective on things.

Onwards....

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
I have a large plugin collection and as far as FX are concerned, I’m done. The one area I have recently invested in (invested sounds better than “splurged cash on” doesn’t it?) is guitar amp sims. I think the technology has come on a lot in the last few years. Yes, I could have got by on what I had in this area five years ago, and no one else would have noticed, but it gives ME pleasure to improve my tones in certain areas, so I don’t feel guilty about that.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
Yeah, been whittling my stuff down for a while now, using one verb..Valhalla Vintage, one compressor, Klanghelm MJUC, one channel strip, Softube Tube Tech Classic channel, treating it like it's a desk like back in the day when they only had one desk to work with...works for me...+ various effect plugs of course...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
Guys,
Theres no shame in a bit of sheer indulgance sometimes.....great that you guys have rooted out some bargains...

Rock on 2020.
Andy