Nobody Get A Free Ride

• 30 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:06:56 PM »
Hi guys, once again I've been A-wall due to RL drama, but I thought I'd throw this one before you all to get some fresh ears. I started working on it a while ago and just got bogged down with the mixing, so left it alone for a while and just came back to it recently. Thanks for taking a listen and any constructive comments are most welcome.  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/nobody-gets-a-free-ride

Here I am on the road again, trying to find my way home
I guess I didn’t realize, just how far I’d roamed
I keep walking through the dark, trying to find the light
But no matter how hard I try, I just can’t get it right

No body said it would be easy
No body gets a free ride

How many times have I walked this road, barefoot and all alone?
How long must I carrying this load, reaping the seeds I’ve sown?
How many signs on this journey, will I choose to ignore?
It all seems kind of familiar, have I been here before?

No body gets a free ride

I am watching myself as I’m sleeping…..
When will a wake….
I see myself stumble along, watching my life, go buy
I see where I, I have gone wrong, when love, was denied

I've been a warrior; and I've been a priest; a beggar and a thief?
How many times will I go around, before I wake and see
That life doesn’t have to be a struggle, with suffering and pain
If I awaken to my true self, will I drop these heavy chains?

No body gets a free ride
No body gets a free ride

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:55:21 AM by crystalsuzy »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
Hi @crystalsuzy We've missed you for sure. Hope all is ok in RL. Love the harmony work in this one and that lovely bouncy piano. The M8 breaks out into some of your usual unconventional stuff which is great. Lovely upbeat song in terms of musical composition although lyrically maybe not so. A fabulous listen

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »
Hi suzy, hope you are well. The instrumentation  is wonderful. I think at times the vocals are a little too prominent. They could sit much better in the mix. However, this song gtows and it is evident that there is real quality as it reaches it's conclusion.

Paul

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:39:11 PM »
I listened to this the other day
I really like it. a very sweet production, delightful voice with a hard resonant message.
You can be proud of this one.  :)
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
This is up to your usual very original standards, really like the sound of this..only one crit..the vocal could do with a bit of automation....
otherwise...super :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 11:14:27 PM »
I can hear world-weariness in the lyrics which seems an interesting contrast to the swinging effervescence of the music, particularly in the sparkly piano playing. The rich vocal harmonies have come together very well. It must have taken some effort to mix and balance everything. I suppose a single voice might have achieved a more intimate effect with the listener. However, I’m glad you went with the choir-like harmonies. It seems to lend the song a kind of collective wisdom to be shared with the audience as something we can all relate to. Wonderful song.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:02:21 AM »
Nobody Get A Free Ride

Now you tell me! I've been looking for a free ride my whole life!
Glad no-one else got one either  :D
I liked this - Elton did a good job on the keys and it moves along nicely.
There are a few pitchy vocal spots and the mix could be tweaked but somehow that just makes it more charming.
Oh yeah and welcome back. The place's not the same w/o you  ;D

Paul

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Really liked this.  The standouts are the tumbling piano (that's ace) and the vocal melodies / harmonies which to my ears had a fantastic late 60s / early 70s feel to them... a little bit Carol King.  The percussion is well judged too - it ebbs and flows with the track very effectively.  Also I liked the way the lyrics are quite bleak but that's offset by the perkier instrumentation... keeps it all 3-dimensional.   One of my favourites of yours I think.
It's all too beautiful.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »
Hi Suzy,

Hope you are well. RL is a burden at times; easy to get lost in as I unfortunately know all too well.

Anyway, this is really good - and rather instant; Catchy chorus just gets its hooks in you straight away.
Great groove throughout.
Your harmonies always work well and here they are at their best.
Lots going on as always, but it all just comes together.
The ending is a quirky delight.

Digger

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 01:01:05 AM »
Hi @crystalsuzy We've missed you for sure. Hope all is ok in RL. Love the harmony work in this one and that lovely bouncy piano. The M8 breaks out into some of your usual unconventional stuff which is great. Lovely upbeat song in terms of musical composition although lyrically maybe not so. A fabulous listen
Thanks for the thumps up on the music and vocal harmonies. I guess that's what I was focusing on in the song and the lyrics just came out as is. Glad you liked it adn I missed you guys too

Hi suzy, hope you are well. The instrumentation  is wonderful. I think at times the vocals are a little too prominent. They could sit much better in the mix. However, this song gtows and it is evident that there is real quality as it reaches it's conclusion.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I know know what you mean about the mix and I appreciate your comments regarding the vocals. I will try and get them sitting better.

I listened to this the other day
I really like it. a very sweet production, delightful voice with a hard resonant message.
You can be proud of this one.  :)
Thanks so much Rightly for your kind comments. I'm glad you liked the message.

This is up to your usual very original standards, really like the sound of this..only one crit..the vocal could do with a bit of automation....
otherwise...super :) 8)
Thanks Kevin for your kind and encouraging support. I had to look up the concept of automation, as I don't think I've tried much of that in my songs. I will see if I can figure out what to do with this song. If you have any specific suggestions, please let me know.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
A more traditional structure here and none the worse for that.
As others have said the piano is a showstealer and so is the banjo (?).

The harmonies are part of your trademark though I could help thinking they’d have a bit more power if you left them out (or dialled them down a little) during verse 1 and then they help accentuate the chorus.

But a great song concept (I especially like hooks that can appear in everyday conversation) and catchy writing.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:25:51 AM by adamfarr »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
A great listen. Lovely to hear from you again too.

I enjoyed the way it kept shifting gears around that excellent piano.

Super storytelling lyrics. Your vocals always seem to convey a sense of sweet confusion despite some real understanding of the world...I'm going to call it the "baffled genius" effect. I love it, anyway.

Top marks :-)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
Strong lyrics Suzie. And a lovely upbeat happy backing tracking. Always good to hear your tracks and listen to your sweet vocals.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
Hi Suzy, well you are back again on top form. There's some real skill in that piano playing and the vocal lines/harmonies are pretty damn unique, whimsical and delightful.

Great how you slow it all down, then move back up to speed again with such ease.

It's almost like a modern hymn this time in parts, totally captivating track!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:26 AM »
I can hear world-weariness in the lyrics which seems an interesting contrast to the swinging effervescence of the music, particularly in the sparkly piano playing. The rich vocal harmonies have come together very well. It must have taken some effort to mix and balance everything. I suppose a single voice might have achieved a more intimate effect with the listener. However, I’m glad you went with the choir-like harmonies. It seems to lend the song a kind of collective wisdom to be shared with the audience as something we can all relate to. Wonderful song.
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. I actually tried starting the 1st verse with a single voice, but it just didn't sound as good. I really don't that good a solo voice. And you're right, I didn't want this to be just a personal song, although it's how I feel a lot of the time. I'm glad you liked the harmonies and yes, it was very difficult to mix and I'm not good at it, so I don't think it's right yet.

Nobody Get A Free Ride

Now you tell me! I've been looking for a free ride my whole life!
Glad no-one else got one either  :D
I liked this - Elton did a good job on the keys and it moves along nicely.
There are a few pitchy vocal spots and the mix could be tweaked but somehow that just makes it more charming.
Oh yeah and welcome back. The place's not the same w/o you  ;D

Paul
I'm sorry Paul, someone should have told you years ago, that nobody gets a free   ride :) I knew there would probably be some pitchy spots, but do you think I can hear them? NO! so if you have a spare minute, could you point out to me on the track where they are? And how can the mix be improved? Thanks

Really liked this.  The standouts are the tumbling piano (that's ace) and the vocal melodies / harmonies which to my ears had a fantastic late 60s / early 70s feel to them... a little bit Carol King.  The percussion is well judged too - it ebbs and flows with the track very effectively.  Also I liked the way the lyrics are quite bleak but that's offset by the perkier instrumentation... keeps it all 3-dimensional.   One of my favourites of yours I think.
WOW< thanks PaulX...Carol King! and I loved the 60's-70's sound :) And thanks for the thumbs up on the drums...not my forte. I like the 3D effect.