konalavadome

The Impossible Staircase (South Coast Massive)

• 20 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »
Just to prove that we didn't spend our get together last weekend getting drunk and talking rubbish (although we probably did) The South Coast Massive have been working on a couple of little numbers.

This one started it's life as one of @Binladeda backing tracks. @PaulyX wrote the lyrics and provided the vocals and I added a little bit of instrumentation and some bv's and mixed it up.

I hope you enjoy it  :)

She wrote her number on a Mobius Strip
Put it round my neck like she was playing hoopla for a goldfish

I'm in that painting by Escher - that impossible staircase
I climb and I climb but I keep coming back to the same place
How could this happen? 
I'm chasing Fibonacci patterns through the caverns of her heart

So strange we're travelling at the same velocity in the same dimension to the same certainty
So much in common, it seems a cruelty that she'd deny me a little of her company

I'm in the hall of mirrors trying to find myself
Contorted and distorted - she's turned me into someone else

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »
"South Coast Massive"...great name!

I have two favorite bits in this. First, when your voice goes down low, @PaulyX ; oooo, I love that! And then the section with all the similar sounding words: velocity, certainty, cruelty, company. That works really well for me. Oh, and a third favorite spot. "Contorted and distorted - she's turned me into someone else". Brilliant. All those little internal rhymes surprising me here and there. This is definitely more interesting that what I think of as mainstream, and I like it much better. When I read the lyrics, I couldn't imagine how it could be set to music but, hey, obviously it can!

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 11:37:48 PM »
`Nuff respect to the South Coast Massive !! Really enjoyed this. Lovely production, interesting composition & intriguing lyrics. Well done everyone & thank you.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 11:26:55 AM »
I love this track! It's a show case of all three of the talents that went into the making of it :) I love Bins beautiful jazzy backing track. :-*
The lyrics are amazing! The vocals and BV's are equally as brilliant, as is the mix. Kinda reminded me a bit of some of Stings stuff, which of course is a huge compliment!  Very classy collab guys  :-*

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
Very cool atmosphere created here, has a haunting vibe to it between the keys
And guitar. Creative lyrics and the vocals sound great, nice job guys!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 05:19:01 AM »
I adore this song. The production, guitar work vocals and lyrics are fantastic. One of my favourite songs on this forum for sure. 

If I have my way, I'm relocating Tom the southeast of England.  I've already met Steve but it would be good to one day catch up with the rest of the guys if I make it that's far!

Quality. Well done!

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »
You had me at Mobius Strip! Love the rhyming in this one - patterns, happen, caverns...

Your voices blend so well, you should do it more often.

Perhaps the backing is a touch busy (though if it was originally an instrumental that’s probably why). The guitars sound fab - especially the woody acoustic.

Really minor taste thing - I somehow wanted to hear a jump down in the melody on “case” in “staircase”...

Amazing work that in no way sounds like a quick weekend’s effort!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »
Wow, I thought this would be perhaps riotous after hearing about your get together - thought you would have lost it in a cacophony of overdrive and booze!

But this offering is delicately delightful in many ways. Lovely guitar riff motifs and interchange underpinning everything. Then PX's vocal is very sweet and well controlled as it meanders through the well layered musical landscape in quite unexpected ways. Harmonies very well done and delicate too.

The song is almost circular in structure too, like the impossible staircase itself. Very imaginative lyrical concept, wish I had thought of it. (So I will have to wait a couple of years before shamelessly stealing it! :) )

All the ingredients combine to deliver nothing else than pure quality. One of the best ever collaborations I have heard on here. More please!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

Interesting vibe you've created here; totally out of my normal listening.
Lots of layers that a blowing in the wind revealing a little at a time then hiding it away again - almost.
Love how the atmospherics lurk, and then peek out here and there.
Creative stuff.
Tasty playing.

Digger

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
Very enjoyable guys! The lyrics are beyond awesome! Really intriguing stuff! You guys do sound great together. That guitar is just fab aswell. Bravo!🎶👊🏻🎶👊🏻🎶👊🏻😄🙋🏼‍♂️

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
Love Pauls vocal on this...it's really fab. Lyrics are brilliant...some of it was slightly beyond my unsophisticated grim northern life experience!

I might have liked a little bit more of a drop-out somewhere...it was pretty busy all-round...but why fiddle with it when it sounds just great as it is...

Had a few days in Brighton at a trade union conference a few years back...funny old place, I thought...a hotel bar manager took a bit of a shine to me...flogging a dead horse...anyway...it felt like being abroad somehow...a long way from Newcastle anyway.

Three very talented fellas cooking on gas.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 09:05:44 PM »
I was checking an upload on soundcloud of my latest song and when it finished this started. I listened.  Gee, I though that's really nice. Classy and clever lyrics.  Now I realise it was yours lol.  (  but I still stand by what I said - classy, clever, crisp, champagne music )

Outstandingly clever lyrics. The goldfish sure got my attention and the vox are sublime.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 11:51:31 AM »
Brilliant collaboration guys, this shows how three talented guys can get something recorded that any one of you wouldn't have written. Loved it, great lyrics ,great ideas, great playing, singing, all great !
Cheers
Jamie

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 07:59:34 AM »
Hi all. This is a class song. The production is incredible and the song has great rhythm despite hardly featuring any percussion. Immaculate timing on the instrumentation. The vocals are seductive and the lyrics are mind blowing. Whoever came up with the Fibiacci patterns line was either taking the Micky or a Genius. That one was over my head so I don’t know. The only thing I would change is I would take out the bass drum that briefly makes an appearance for 10 seconds or so at 2.13. It doesnt add anything to the ambience. The flow and rhythm are fine without it. Cheers Micky.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
really special track guys..
beautifully put together
dreamlike exquisite mix
opening just draws you in..
words and vocal just perfect..
iz complete !
like being knocked out by velvet