and he sees everyone
He travels the world with his reindeer
and I hope Santa enjoys the ride

Christmas comes once a year
and everyone he sees
says Santa my dear, beware of high trees
and i hope Santa enjoys the ride.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:37:54 PM by dinnerwithgreedo »
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
Hey DWG

Great dynamics in this...nice punchy sound...good drums and guitars and the vocal is really good too. The King Kong merrily on high bit gave it a spooky unsettling feel towards the end...and I thought it was maybe a little short? That's probably a good sign, in that I'd have liked to have seen it carry on for a while longer.

And yes...high trees...got to look out for them...I think I remember hearing about when a US fighter jet was a flying off-piste through a valley in the alps and it sliced straight through the wires of a cable car and it crashed to the ground, killing the occupants...when you reckon how sturdy those cables are...and how flimsy a plane wing seems to be...the jet must have been travelling at some speed. Anyway, that's enough festive cheer for one post...

Nice entry...Good luck in the competition!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »
I was just reading somewhere about making sure your song has a catchy title. And a good hook. And they're often (usually?) the same. But this song is a bit different. Definitely a catchy title--probably more catchy than what I believe is the hook: "and I hope Santa enjoys the ride". The hook gets its oomph from the melody and the blast of music that accompanies it. "Beware High Trees" is intriguing and makes me want to know what that's about, so I'll for sure listen to the song.

This is truly my style of music. I could listen to this type of music all day and never get tired of it. Well, maybe. I guess it's possible to have too much of anything, even a really good thing.

I love upbeat, rocking tunes like this one. I wouldn't have minded a bit of an instrumental and then a repeat of the last verse so I could enjoy it a little longer.

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »
@PaulAds I think 'King Kong Merrily On High' would have been a better lyric. :D

@CaliaMoko I don't think there's one song on Nirvana's Nevermind album that follows that rule (maybe one). I chose Beware High Trees as the title coz 'I Hope Santa Enjoys The Ride' is an awful name for a song :D

Thank you both for your comments. I've just listened to all Festive entries (thus far). It's gonna be tough!! :D
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
Hi Greedo, enjoyed this whimsical slice of Christmas cake. I liked that musical emphasis of the latter sections of the verse/chorus, adding a kind of hook in itself - and the fact that I could easily remember the tune after only first play. So must be a catchy one, essential for any Christmas song.

Good luck in the comp mate! :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »
Hi there - this is a fun listen. Really like the waves of sound which really give it some unique DNA. Tight but effortless sounding guitars and vocals. Great title and twist on the theme. Nice work!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Really good job on this mate. Ill be listening to this song a lot this Christmas. Maybe have it on repeat on Christmas day :)

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:25:51 PM »
Playfully distils the spirit of Christmas with great joy. This is a genuinely fun song to listen to, which I personally think is the kind of song that requires great talent to write. The powerful vocal performance and driving guitar riff keeps the song taut and exciting. Let the good times roll!

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:00:21 AM »
Loving the song!

My favourite part is definitely the bass line that rocks back and forth on those semi-tones.  I sort of feel like this wouldn't be out of place in a Primus album!
I think this is up in my favourites list for the xmas enteries so far!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
Sweet track Greedo... has a sort of traditional old school feel to it somehow.
The title was intriguing and made me smile a lot.  For some reason it put me in mind of threatening gangsters... 'Now, you wouldn't want to have a little accident with a high tree, would you Santa?'.  That put an extra little surreal spin on it in my head!
It's all too beautiful.

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 11:25:36 AM »
Thank you all so much!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »
this is so much fun DWG! Definitely got an old school rock vibe going on, which I love. The lyrics are really fun and uplifting and I guess the interpretation is up to the listener  ;D Fab guitar and vocals, and I love the bass. I too well be listening to this one throughout the season  8)
this comp is gearing up to be quite the accomplished bunch of songs 8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »
Hi Just distended to PaulAds Christmas song which is great and I really like this one too! And I usually hate Christmas songs......There was a familiarity to the chords, but the dynamic of the arrangement and the playing meant it had a charm of its own.
Very good, if all the Christmas songs are as good as there two then it'll  be a tough choice!

Excellent!

Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 03:29:49 AM »
Hi dwg - good track!.
This is so tight - I never get things to fit together this well!
I like how you held back the punchline to the end.
I hope Santa enjoys the ride - I sure did :D
Good luck in the match!
Paul