"There Was a Fish!"

• 11 Replies

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« on: December 29, 2019, 03:24:05 AM »
Hello again all!

I've been experimenting with loads of electronic and MIDI stuff recently, and also experimenting with vocal sampling. It's something I've never really explored before, but I hope I've been able to use it here to good effect.

Some of you will immediately be able to identify the source of these samples. If you're one of those people then give yourself a mighty big pat on the back for being so awesome!

If not: These samples are taken from David Lynch's Twin Peaks series. David Lynch has become somewhat an object of my obsessions recently. His whole approach is just staggering and wonderful, and it has really inspired me to try and get outside of my usual creative box.
The result is this track. I hope everyone enjoys! :)

"LYRICS"

"I believe a pledge is sacred."

"Speaking as a man and a fellow employee of the federal government, so do I"

"Well I may reveal this much.... The owls are not what they seem. The owls are not what they seem."

-"Sorry"-

"A damn fine cup of coffee. I've had I can't tell you how many cups of coffee in my life and this: A damn fine cup of coffee. Cup of coffee."

"Among my many tasks is the maintenance of deep space monitors aimed at galaxies beyond our own. We routinely receive various communications - space garbage to decode and examine. They look something like this:
The owls are not what they seem. The owls are not what they seem."

"A damn fine cup of coffee. I've had I can't tell you how many cups of coffee in my life and this: A damn fine cup of coffee. Cup of coffee."

"Fellas, don't drink that coffee! You'd never guess.... there was a fish in the percolator. Fish in the percolator."

"Fish".

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:03:23 PM by David Christy Jones »
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
@David Christy Jones - Happy new Year David - Hells Bells, this is damn fine, right up my street, love those synths, and the samples sit perfectly, drums perfect, oooh yes, like this one, edgy.

Was it nutty Leyland?

Superb piece of work, I was kinding of  expecting a complete stop with something on the radio, then MAHOOOSIVE broken bit damaged drums, and everything caves in to somewhere that most people wouldn't enjoy, then reaching out from this mayhem would be the arm of saftey (being the main hook of the song, lifting you , drenched and burning out of the lake)

Nice work indeed.

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
@cowparsleyman that ls very much you gent! 😁
Been learning as best I can with this new fangled synth business but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Do you like my owl noise? :P

Happy New year sir, and here's to hoping that gum you like will come back in style.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »
@David Christy Jones

Hi, love this. Great sparse but effective sounds, love the synths. Very interesting and enjoyable.
Good work sir!

Cheers
Jamie

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
That was an enjoyable listen, I think you did a good job of combining the digital sounds, with that repetitive keyboard line holding everything together.

Very intriguing, I think I may need to check out this twin peaks business now.

Yodasdad

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 05:37:15 AM »
That was really rather splendid. The glitchy glowering synths are fantastic. It felt like we were trapped in the Matrix. An excellent piece of modern electronic psychedelia. And I've never trusted owls anyway... anything that can rotate its own head 180 degrees needs a wide berth.
It's all too beautiful.

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
Hi

I really enjoyed this track it reminded me of something 'Death in Vegas' could have produced. Loved the electronic production and use of the vocal samples which you have incorporated very well with the eerie synths and drums. I'm also  a big fan of David Lynch particularly Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet I  love the way he uses the music of Angelo Badalamenti in his films and Twin Peaks.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »
Well this put a smile on my face mate! Great job! I especially loved it when the "there was a fish" line came in. Cool track I really enjoyed it.🐡👊🏻🐡😁

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:49:27 PM »
Wow! What a fabulously dramatic mood to this.. just loved it! Reminded me a tiny bit of Nineteen (n-n-n-n... :-)) Couldn’t dream up something like this in a fit but I really enjoyed it!

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 11:18:19 PM »
Very cool, captures the mood and intrigue of the show and sounds great, nice job!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 06:30:28 AM »
Never really got into Twin Peaks (saw the film version which I thought was terrible and never had a tele when the real thing was on).

Still, this is a great piece of work. I also get a bit of Stranger Things from the synths and the whole thing is full of foreboding and otherworldliness (and owliness). The drums also feel very appropriate and cinematic.

pnb99

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »
I’ve listened to this song about 5-6 times.

I almost didn’t listen to this as I tend to avoid anything with an “Ironic” title ;-)

What a mistake that would have been.

There are some great layering techniques in play here across multiple instruments/sounds that could, if not careful, easily crowd each other out. Good production.

I love the main “Dulcimer” theme…is that one of your own? It’s fab.

Clearly, it’s not a traditional song structure and therefore, for me, it’s one of those pieces that I like to listen to when doing something, rather than passively listening to it.

I don’t recognise any of the samples…I guess I’ve lived a sheltered life.

Great sounds, well put together, I enjoyed it.

I shall never judge a song by its title again!

Thank you for sharing your music with me.

Hope this helps,

Paul