Yesterday will leave (fully produced)

• 26 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 10:40:26 PM »
No faults here Paul.  This is a classy piece of songwriting and the vocal sits so well with its soft and understated approach.  I deffinately wouldn't put anything else in the song unless it was as a replacement of something that already exists. Less is more and the balance at the moment is about right.  I really nice listen. Showing some talent with this one for sure.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »
Thanks for the reviews my friends.

@adamfarr re the graveyatd lyric, it was literally about a meeting in a graveyard. In hindsight, it's about leaving behind the hurt of previous love that failed. It's almost like the journey to the graveyard was necessary to say goodbye to the past so that two people could embark on their new chapters and finally 'learn to live, learn to love again.'

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »
Paul. The fully produced version is lovely. A class piece of writing with or without the production  :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »
You've made a good song better...period!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pnb99

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »
Now this I really like!

A beautifully sensitive arrangement superbly put together. Those pizzicatos, strings and harp are to die for…full of admiration for those

You know your style and you execute it so, so well.

Melodically I liked it very much. Last time I reviewed one of your songs I think I likened you to Neil Tennant. This time I’m going to say Ian Broudie (particularly when you inflect the melody upwards). Again, this is intended as a huge compliment.

I hope its ok to mention a couple of production observations that, while in no way detract from the song, might make the listening experience even better (for me at least ;-) );

1. Editing the vocals to eliminate some of the non-singing sounds from the track would make the vocal track sound a little tighter and tidier.
2. To my ears, the vocal is panned slightly left of centre (about 11o’clock) and that feels a little strange as my brain is searching for something to lock onto in the centre. In addition the vocal is then masking some of those lovely string elements I spoke of earlier.

In any case, this is a great song and I loved listening to it and reviewing it.

Thank you for sharing your music with me.

Paul

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Yeah this is a good song. Nice work Paul. I think the piano part is genius. Perfectly compliments the vocals and mood of the song. Liking the graveyard lyric. Intriguing. Vocals also great.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 12:48:00 PM »
Hi Paul

I can hear this is quite a bit of work, love all the different nuances going off in the back, the pizzicato strings, and legato strings (if they are programmed that's a lot of work), piano motifs, very effective, with a simple bass line gluing it all together.

Did you use any compression or EQ on the master bus?

Nice work

Rich

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
Hi Paul,

A lovely gentle, thoughtful song which is so typical of your work. The highlight for me is the orchestration which lifts the tune to new heights. I don't think it's your strongest song but I still found it to be a lovely listen.

M

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
My God this is beautiful!! Oh I love it. Produced brilliantly.

Well done.

Excellent.

The piano parts are gorgeous!!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »
Lots of interesting melodic elements in this to hold interest and you bring them in and out a move them all about nicely (oh oh the Hokey Cokey).

I think you’ve arranged it really well, although personally I’m not a huge fan of having the lead vocal to one side, as I find it a little off putting. In this case it did seem to allow space for the other instruments to be heard though, so I think it could grow on me.

Very nice, delicate track.

Yodasdad

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »
A big thanks to the following: @Jamie, @pompeyjazz, @pnb99, @mickyplankton, @cowparsleyman, @montydog, @Sebandme, and @Yodasdad.

It's strange how we grow attached to certain songs that we write. This is one that's I have favoured since I first started to hang a suit of production clothes on to what started out as an acoustic guitar/vocal sketch. thanks for all the comments. The main one that I wish to address, is  the panning of the vocal. I always thought that's it sounded like it was panned slightly left, yet it registered as centre. I'm not sure why that is. If anyone could suggest a reason, I'm all ears (no pun intended on my failure to trust my hearing as I mixed).  I accidently lost the logic file so had to  do a time restore on my Mac  to retrieve the project. It was my version, minus the string parts. Still the vocal sounded left yet registered as central.  I guess I should have trusted my hearing more. 

@cowparsleyman,

As I no longer have the original final mix, I don't recall what was on the master bus. But eq is very likely.

Back to the song, it's still one of my favourites because it speaks loudly about happiness and that is often in short supply.

Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:24:00 PM by Wicked Deeds »

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »
Hi Paul,
All I can say about this song is that your voice fit in very well. I notice you have a lot of replies so I clicked to hear what was going on with your song so, as I listen I found that the song it is not bad and it is not good. To me it just happen to fall into that groove.

The song it just didn't kelp my interest. But what I would say is that you have a nice style of vocals. That I like more than the song. I'll leave it has that and would not comment any farther.

Irwin
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC