Sozzled (On Christmas Day) colab. with MichaelA #festivecomp entry

• 17 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
It's my great pleasure to introduce to you @MichaelA 's and my collaborative entry for the Festive competition.

I had an early stage song called "Henry The Eighth" which mentioned Christmas and asked whether MichaelA could be interested in working together on it.

Now, I think I am quite amusing and have a quick way with a lyric, but working with Michael was a revelation. We went through a few iterations (Christmas repentant Romeo song, Christmas hedonistic Romeo song, Christmas drunk Romeo song, Christmas Romeo engagement song...) and ended up with the ultimate Christmas party anthem riotous karaoke drinking song.

A few tracking sessions later, Sozzled was born. Many thanks to co-parent, Michael, whose DNA has helped make this truly unique.

Hoping it's as fun to listen to as it was to make. Looking forward to your comments as always.

Sozzled (On Christmas Day)

V1
Come on take the bait
I'm not Henry the Eighth
Although I've mislaid several wives before
I liked collecting them
Christmas was fun back then
Now Santa says I can collect one more
Your reformed Romeo
Under the mistletoe
Let's sing a song, then maybe three or four

CH
Happy Christmas, War Is Over
Rocking Around the Christmas Tree
Merry Christmas Everybody
Sing Jingle Bells and Santa Baby
Proper Crimbo, Let It Snow
And All I Want for Christmas Is You
Cos that's the kind of slushy thing to say
Sozzled on Christmas Day

V2
It's karaoke time
As we knock back the wine
You sing Last Christmas, pop a champagne cork
But I won't break your heart
Say yes to a new start
Murdering Fairy Tale Of New York
Baby It's Cold Outside
Blue Christmas stay away
Cos maybe I could Stay Another Day

CH

M8
Fill your glass babe
Cos it's Christmas
Cheeky snowball
Sneaky fizz
Karaoke
Hokey Cokey
Okey dokey
Christmas kiss

FINAL CH

(c) 2019, M. Duffy, A. Farr, all rights reserved

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 02:48:26 PM »
Wonderful from the introduction. Menacing vocal  melody and guitar. The lyrics are exceptional too. This would have been great for a John Lewis video.

I'm struggling to warm to the bass in the chorus sections but that may not be the case for other listeners.
"Karaoke Hokey Kokey, Okey dokey" - a lyrical treat in my opinion. An instantly catchy song.

Exceptional fellas!

Paul

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
I'm impressed with how many Christmas songs you mentioned! :D
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:13:04 PM »
Well, what a Christmas cracker this is chaps. Excellent lyrics and music. Vocals delivered in fine sardonic tone @MichaelA and I thought the backing vocals @adamfarr deserved a special mention as they were sensational. This should be top of the charts pop pickers. Excellent work  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
I'll leave it up to Adam to manage this thread, but I'd just like to thank him for the kind words above in introduction to our collaboration. The best thing about it was that we both seemed to surprise each other with our contributions, so we ended up producing something that was a little removed from what we might have normally come up with on our own!

So a productive and most fun collaboration in my view, so I'm grateful to this forum for making it possible, and to Adam for such fascinating guitars, backing vocals and production. And for not taking either of us too seriously either! 🙂
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 10:24:42 PM »
I don't seem to be able to edit the above post on my iPad...but was trying to add that hopefully one or two others will also enjoy the song as well. And then Adam and I will be quids in. So let's see how it goes...
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 11:07:58 PM »
That's a fantastic slice of seasonal joy fellas... very welcome down my chimney... Laugh out loud lyrics and expertly delivered (including the BVs).  Loved the brass in particular and the party blowy-things at the end (how can I have come through life not knowing what those things are they called?!).  Has to be a strong contender to take the (paper) crown in this comp. Ho ho ho...
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
A very special piece guys...talent in spades, super lyrics and super fun.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »
Oh yeah, now that's what I'm talkin' about. This is brilliant. I love it. The prosody is a bit off here and there, but I think it suits it, so I won't complain. Well, not anymore than I already have. Besides, aren't prosody police kinda like grammar police? Nobody likes them. So, I'm not. There you are.

Great piece. The harmonies are awesome! All I want for Christmas is one of these.  ;D

Vicki

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
Well this was always going to be interesting and unlikely to be conventional (I mean that in a really good way) and you certainly don’t disappoint! Clever lyrics on a clever theme and so well played, arranged and sung by both! And that M8 lyric is genius.

FANBLOODYTASTIC!!!!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »
Great slice of festive frivolity...clever and fun lyrics.

I liked the brass-band type bass parts and the backing vocals were great.

The whizzing toy thing at the end put a big smile on my face too.

Thumbs (and bottoms) up!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »
this is a fantastic collab you two :) it's charming, it's witty, it's funny, and so beautifully sung, produced and arranged  :) Brilliant entry guys

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »

Excellent song guys ;D  Outstanding lyrics, humorous and entertaining. Delivered with a crystal clear, and slightly irreverent vocal...really catchy ;D
 Great production, and a Uke and a Tuba ?...what more could you want. My cup runneth over ;D ;D

Loved it guys..top song

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 02:57:03 AM »
I'm not a fan of Christmas themed songs generally speaking (I'm a grinch, I just don't really like xmas!) but I'll make an exception for this sort of thing.
Definitely can't help but draw the comparison to Fairytale of New York in terms of overall tone.
A very clever song with incredibly well thought out lyrics. Can't really fault it!
If I had one minor gripe it would be the hi-hat that comes in a bit loud for me in places (the one panned left). Just stands out a bit in the mix. But honestly, I'm nitpicking here.

Can't wait to hear more from you! I'm sure the valentines day edition will be a scream!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!