konalavadome

Filthy Weekend

• 13 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
Hi,
Here's a new tune written for a local songwriting challenge where we had to include some rather bizarre lyrics they're in middle 8.

Lyrically it was inspired by the hearing Lloyd Cole's 1985 single Lost Weekend and a set of personal experiences of the recent rainy weekends.

It was written and recorded in GarageBand on my iPhone and then transferred to my DAW to put the vocals, mix and master. Warning it contains no guitars.

Anyway thanks for stopping by and look forward to your feedback.

:-) neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/filthy-weekend-demo-master-2-nov-2019

I've been been having issues with the weather
I mean its pouring cats and dogs
Trying to sort my breathing out
I can’t seem to get it right

Great to see you, looking happy
And we went up to town
Got my head stuck in the doors
Slightly painful, it made you laugh

Hurt? Just a little
With lots of helping hands
The kindness of human nature
Got me through this - filthy weekend

Got the train, better late than never
With the sleepers and the drunks
You had to wait, you’d had your date
Pretty tired but proud as punch

Food and drink & Mr Brad Paisley
You couldn’t take your bike
We had to drive to Nottingham
KFC, sweet emergency

Hurt? Just a little

Kangaroo’s jump away
Desperately from life's strange consequences
Kangaroo’s jump away
Although their fluffy tails remain

I saw the words with no meaning
Didn’t understand a single thing
There was no icing on the cake
Or breaking the camels back

My metaphors were all mixed up
The rhyming scheme won’t work
Just knuckle down and sort it
With 48 hours of rain

Hurt? Just a little

C N Connor 2019
songwriter of no repute..

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Very interesting Neil!  And a bit bonkers.  In a good way.  The lyrics are really interesting... the scanning sort of doesn't work but then again weirdly it really does, because it feels like that is the point of them!  Very unconventional and rather surreal lyrics, and I love the way you actually reference that in the last verse with the lines about the rhyming scheme and metaphors.  Nice finish too.  I'm not really sure what it's about but it's very knowing, feels like it is giving you a wink.  Now, Lloyd Cole... one of my heroes... went to see him play in Guildford a couple of weeks back (and he played "Lost Weekend").  It's funny you mention him because his recent album also ditches the guitars a lot and is much more electronic, like this track.  Give it a whirl if you haven't already.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 02:12:29 AM »
Well, that is so delightfully weird! My favorite part is the "metaphors mixed up" verse. And the chorus (the "Huh? Just a little" part is the chorus, right?) I can't really think of anything else to say about it. Well, except I really didn't miss the guitars. I liked the accompaniment. Now I want to try something like that....

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
Strangely catchy mate..I reckon geetars would've pushed it in the wrong direction, you got this very right :)

lyrics...yeah, like em alot!! what were you on?
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
This track didn't really work for me (which is rare for one of yours). It felt a little... off.
The chorus was catchy though!
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:33:52 PM »
Yo @Neil C

Weird and wonderful lyrics and a super hooky punchline.

It's cool to experiment with writing options,I've been sampling some different angles myself,just to get the juices flowing.

Interesting stuff Neil.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
Kangaroos in Nottingham? That wasn't quite the filthy weekend I was expecting (hoping for?).

I really like the individuality of this one - unique rhythms and unexpected lyrical turns. And I also like your vocal here - this type of story song seems to suit you.

Sounds like the challenge worked...

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »

Hey Neil ;D ;D

Hope all is well old chap.  Put a BIG smile on me mooey ;D ;D .  Lovely mix, as usual..
 Loved the story/lyrics. My only thought was that the third line should read "Trying not to step in a Poodle"  ;D

Great song/entertainment  ;D ;D
 take care mate...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 11:27:18 AM »
Hi Neil, hope your head is OK after the barely explained door incident. But I do like all these casually thrown away nutty lyrics. Very understated English eccentric, all very charming. Plus there aren't enough good kangaroo songs, so you have that going for you too. :)

Really interesting narrative song helped along by a very catchy chorus - one which really suits those tight harmonies that you've delivered there.

Your writing process via a quick Garageband sketch was similar to my own normal routine. Very useful tool, especially as it fits in your picket - via the phone - and can go anywhere. Especially good for secretly writing bass lines, phone concealed under the table, when supposedly having after dinner conversations with dull relatives!

But it's a perfectly agreeable musical backdrop you've created there, in different circumstances, despite us all expecting some signature guitar. Very versatile, top job! Your local songwriting club sounds fun too, with an oddball challenge such as that...
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Hey Neil, it's taken a while for me to get onboard with this one. It just didn't click until the fourth listen over several days. I'm glad I stayed with it as I finally got my reward..Lovely quirky keyboard arpeggios and a subtle but rather cool chorus. I'm not a fan of heavily keyboard driven songs but that's just me. Overall, s rather cool song. As for Lloyd Cole - he's a genius writer with a marvelous voice!

Paul

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »
Another Lloyd Cole fan here. I remember when his first album came out it changed my song-writing. Not sure if that change persisted, but it probably left a small indentation.

This has a very catchy chorus and a great set of lyrics. It took me a few goes through - still not convinced of the verses, but those aforementioned lyrics and chorus make it all worthwhile!
West Country Country Boy

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Hi
I really enjoyed this song it was not what I was expecting at all. Lyrically strange but interesting and the chorus is first class. Also really liked the arrangement and instrumentation.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »
Well even if you pry the guitar from Neil's hands you can't steal the catchy melody..:)
Odd lyrics and recorded on an iPhone and from the sound of it I'm guessing you did well in this challenge? Nice job Neil...:)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
Great to try something different, Neil...

The lyrics are very good indeed and it's amazing that something that sounds this good can be achieved without the instrument you're so accomplished with.

Very catchy...with a big dollop of humour too...nice!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter