Angel

• 12 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »
Hi all, this is a song I wrote years ago, and had completely forgotten about it till I came across it about a week ago by accident. I liked it and re wrote the lyrics, re recorded the vocal and added harmony and instrumental colour. And of course re mixed and mastered it.All constructive comments welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/angel-1

Angel

She lay in sheets white as snow
Her pale skin glistened and she'd breathe so low
Life is cruel and love is blind
You cannot make the clock unwind

Pre chorus

We make our choices and no-one knows
The cards are dealt and we go with the flow
The seasons come and the seasons go
The sun still shines and the wind still blows

Chorus

An angel came in the night
She took your love and it don't seem right
The dawn breaks and brings the morning sun
We all need to love to love someone

The night is still rain gently falls
Shadows dance across the walls
Memories fade but the feelings strong
You can't help yourself it still feels wrong

Pre chorus

Chorus

The night is still rain gently falls
Shadows dance across the walls

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
@Jamie,

It’s only when I listen through my studio Speakers that I realise how big the production is on tis track.  The piano is lovely.  Powerful and prominent.  I think I can hear some string pads sitting beneath the mix during the first verse and I might suggest that they are raised a little in the verse section.  This is an uplifting and driving song (to my ears.) The best I can say is that I acknowledge your skill as a quality songwriter.  I guess that you are following your instincts and producing exactly the kind of music that you wish too.  I’m sure that you are fulfilling all of your own goals.  Other reviewers may wish  for  the introduction of ideas but it’s really important that you continue travelling your own unique avenue.  Quality music Jamie!

Paul

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »
Good work
I've only got weak speakers here
I think a lot work went into this.

I enjoyed the listen
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
Jamie,
Listening on the iPod phones and enjoying it very mucho.
Just so naturally put together, verse leading to prechorus and then get to a cracking chorus. Your vocals seem to float effortlessly over the pop/prog soundscape.
Great bass in there and cool ending.
Mature in a very good way
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »
Hi @Jamie - just listening to it now on quality cans...lovely held back vibe, would think about bringing up the LVox a couple of dB and EQ it to pop out a bit more...if you have an LA2 that should sort it..doesn't need much.

Maybe bring the drum buss up a couple of dB..

A truly tidy song, nice production, love the piano and the strings, just right, good work on those, perfect moog solo.

Good work Jamie

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »
Well thank God u rediscovered it mate cos it's a gem!!😁🎶👍🏻🎶 I love your chord choices in the verses, nice pre...and then that chorus with the synth underneath is just glorious. No nits from me mate. Excellent work!🎶👊🏻🎶

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
Agree with the general consensus I do....some unexpected chord changes in there, probably cause your using chords I've never heard of ::) keep on keepin on mate!! 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
Another classy offering from you Jamie.

A very enjoyable listen indeed.

Since no one else has mentioned the bass being a little prominent in places,perhaps it's just me. Listened on KRK 8400 cans and M-Audio monitors. I have to add,I tend to run a bass loud in a lot of my mixes,because I do love the instrument,so maybe it's intentional.

I notice it particularly in the parts 1.00 to 1.18 and when it repeats 2.30 to 2.48.

Canvas a little more opinion,as I could be talking rubbish! In any case,loved the track Jamie.  8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the feedback, its appreciated!

@Wicked deeds , cheers Paul, thanks for your kind comments, I have since increased the volume on the pads in the verses, but have't posted it, thanks. Great comments about following my instincts, you are right, I don't know if it's being pretentious but I don't try to write songs in anyones style so It's cool that you make such great comments. I'll take the 'Quality' comment all day!

@Rightly, thanks for the comments man!

@Neil C  Thanks Neil,Loving the 'mature' comment! Great comments, cheers!

@Cowparsleyman, Cheers Rich, I tried to follow your recent comments on production stuff re bass and vocals. Still some work to do eh? :PWill go back and have a listen to the parts you've pointed out.Love your comments!

@Lostboy, thanks Leo, lovely comments, they're appreciated!

@Shadowfax, lol thanks Kevin, yes there are some little crackers of chords in there 8) ;). Thanks for listening

@Skub, Thanks Davy, I have listened and I can hear what you mean. I think its because I added in some whopping low synths into the chorus to beef it up. Maybe went too far? :P ::) 8)Glad you enjoyed it!

Great positive feedback guys thanks again!

Cheers
Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 04:56:12 PM »
Lovely moody number this @Jamie .. Lovely arrangement - lots to get my ears around, - I particularly like that piano (it's a lovely rich sound actually - what are you using?) That pre-chorus is very strong also. A fine piece of songwriting, sir, very well arranged and produced! Lovely!!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »
Hi Jamie, I'm glad that you re-discovered this little gem of a song. I love the piano and the clever chord changes. As Paul says, this is a pretty big production and it sounds fabulous on my studio monitors. Another fine piece of writing sir  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback!

@MonnoDB Hi Karen, thanks great comments glad you enjoyed it. Yes I’m pleased with the piano sound it’s more or less how I wanted it to sound, probably the first time I’ve managed that :P. I use a Korg Kronos keyboard the voice is German grand piano.

@pompeyjazz Hi John, yes can’t believe I forgot about this one, glad I found it! Yes I’m pleased with the overall sound, it’s one of my best production efforts I think! I always search for ‘different’ chord sounds and progressions so I’m pleased you mentioned that!

Cheers guys

Thanks again

Jamie

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »
Very moody (in a good way). Sounds great.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)