Woolway - The latest for the 'Genre Jumping' Suite

• 18 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: November 10, 2019, 04:31:26 PM »
Well here's another for the Genre Jumping suite, it's an instrumental piece and a sketch/memory rather than a full blown "Song"

SoundCloud Sleeve notes will tell you all about it.

I'm sure there's a 'Anyone fancy a pint' moment in it for everyone.

It's Gloves off, as always, fingerless, mittens or GoreTex, they all welcome.

Thanks in advance to all those brave enough for stepping into the Kings Arms on a Sunday lunchtime for listening, surrounded by jazz buffs, enjoying the long self indulgent solos and with so much jazz knowledge they could indentify when solos were in the style of  famous musicians....

Anyway, hope you find something you like in there....

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
I though that this was a very interesting listen @cowparsleyman Not immediately accessible maybe worth a few listens to get into the vibe. Some excellent playing and production. I got a big prog vibe. I can imagine whispering Bob introducing this on TOGWT back in '73

Good work cats  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
I feckin love this.Stanley Jordan, Billy Cobham, Jeff Beck, Frank Zappa, King Crimson are all brilliant musicians/bands and this could  easily have come from one of them.
Loooooovvvvvvveeeeee iiiiiittttttt!Great playing, composition and production imho!

Cheers
Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »
@cowparsleyman,

Unmistakeably, the production is first class.  Lovely guitar tone here.  Great to hear you embrace so many genres of music.  I wonder which genre you wish to be mostly associated with or if you prefer to simply have fun  hopping from to another whilst advertising your wares as a producer?  This is a fine addition to your catalogue of work! 

Paul

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:37 PM »
Hi Cpm,

Nice piece played well, top work there fella,

Production sounds great here to, Not much of a jazz dude but I can recognise a well played tune. Nice and tight, just how we like it.

Great work.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
thrilling
I like this. Sounds very sophisticated.
Where's your lovely vocals?

Good job!!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »
Goodness I didn't have a clue how this would go down, but I'm glad you took a listen.

@pompeyjazz - Definitely not easily accessible, I can just hear Bob huskily saying something like "Touches of "Rotten Veg and Rowing Boats" by The Snake in the Sandwich there, nice to hear Clam on Bass" - thanks.

@Jamie - Cheers guy, this is just lovely of you to say, I had to revert to playing the drums on this one, and I was quite self concious about it, there should have been so many more fills and clever stuff that Billy would have done, but I'm no drummer, so it's all pretty straight I'm afraid....but really appreciate the comments, those guys are my heroes too, (take a listen to my remix of My Hamster, that has a few Jazz rock influences in the solo..I asked David (the songwriter) if I could have a go at bunging a solo on it , and he was kind enough to let me have a crack at it...let me know what you think...) My sister met Billy Cobham and managed to wangle an autograph - To Rich ...all the Best Billy Cobham....it was hanging over my kit for a while.

@Wicked Deeds - Glad you dig, I love it all...every genre is a challenge, and sometimes very difficult, this one was a breeze...Which one do I want to be associated with? none in particular, that's up to you I guess, Which one would you pick? There will be an album...one day...

@Cawproductions - We always said tight in - tight out, and anything in between...at least the audience would at least think you knew what you were doing...

@Rightly - You must be thinking of another cowparsleyman, I don't rate my singing voice just as Jimi Hendrix didn't, as for sophisticated, yip Ian Woolway used to write some very good songs, this one was one of his best, it really was a honour to play with him, Rich '4 skins' Butcher, and Rob Stacey (Bass).

Thanks again...

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
I'm with @pompeyjazz on the Whistle Test context. Part of it reminded me of King Crimson, if you know them, esp the climax at the end of each main section. Long time ago!

I like your genre hopping freedom and this must be a very creative way of approaching your compositions, you never know what's coming next.

You seem to have done this quite effortlessly and have another accomplished slice of 'something different' to put in your ever diverse song cabinet! ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
Just heard from Ian Woolway, the composer of this piece, (I haven't seen him since I played this with him in  the early '80's) he's kindly commented on it, and he digs it too, if you want to hear more from him ....check him out....I'm definitely going to...He's one hell of a musician.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-woolway

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:55:03 PM by cowparsleyman »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Yo @cowparsleyman

What a fine track indeed.

It reminded me a lot of my listening habits in the 70s,bands such as  Crimson and Gnidrolog spring to mind.

Super playing and production. Thanks for the feeling of Deja Vu!

I had a listen to a track on Ian's cloud, 'Song to the Moon'. I dig absolutely.  8)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »
Cool impressive playing, like an out take from a Steely Dan session..
I’m interested in your genre-hopping, which I do a bit. Is it to learn from a writing, arrangement and production point of view? And I guess what’s the real CPM?
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »
I love your genre jumping stuff mate, it just keeps making music fun and of course works at those muscles u wouldn't normally use! You must have Pecks to die for???😂👍🏻 this sounds great man! Keep fighting the good fight!🎶👊🏻🎶😁

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
Very impressive playing @cowparsleyman - bass is fantastic! Great swing to the whole thing I gotta say... Love the motif / repeating melody line.. works very well! Enjoyed the listen very much...

K

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »
Thanks again for lending me your ears...

@Skub - Glad you liked it...One of the genres on my list is a bit more adventurous prog rock, with wierd time sigs (can't play those drums I'm afraid), the ubiquitous Hammond B3, probably end up as a mashup of something like 'Frame by Frame' by Crimson, 'Hocus Pocus' by Focus...would I be brave enough to do the funky lead yodelling?...and something entirely off the radar, (there's a song on my drum kit that you can play along to called 'Wicked' and I might just use that as the backing drums, and it is wicked indeed)...been toying with an idea I've had for ages, 4/4, 5/4,6/8, 7/4 then back again, might not work but I just like the 'sequentialness' of it all.

@Neil C - Thaks Neil for the comments, Never thought of that really, made me think to put some horns i there somewhere...Yes, it's to learn how 'they' did it, in all aspects, lyrics, harmonies, instrumentation, vocals and production, it does take ages, and sometimes I feel I've missed the target, but I've learned so much, especially on the production and arrangement side.

As to What's the real CPM? Well I've changed though this process, I didn't think I'd love the EDM production as much as I do, also 'Texas Twister' and 'Lets Play a Game 1962' were really very enjoyable, getting a real Texas vocalist was really a lucky break, but enabled me to capture exactly the vibe I was after. the '70's thang was a right gas too, 'SuperFunk 77' and 'Dance HJ' both had me dancing about in my car, singing my head off.

I suppose I'm evolving, and the comments I get here, are always very helpful in knowing how my un mapped jouney is going.

@LostBoy - Cheers man, My pecks are to die from, not for..

@MonnoDB - K you're too kind, a bass is just a long necked, string challenged Axe...one just needs to play it not like a lead or rhtymn guitar, and listen to what the drummer's doing...

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »
Really enjoyed this. Had no idea what to expect so was here with open mind and open ears and I loved it. Super playing and lovely tones throughout. Great funky feel and it kept my interest throughout. Really well done!
West Country Country Boy