konalavadome

La Belle Marie

• 12 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: November 09, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/la-belle-marie-high-balanced-1

I don’t seem to be able to find the time to produce as much as I would like.  However, I do write in a prolific manner.  This is a story of love.  There is a dark undertone, simply because the story  involves a meeting near to Hiver Castle in the South East, in a graveyard where a stuffed witch-like character hung above the heads of the two lovers. 

This is “La Belle Marie”  written for my beautiful French partner.  We had a lovely time recording her spoken translation of some of the lyrics. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a recording session so much.  We laughed and joked as we decided how to deliver the spoken word sections.  It was delightful.   Marie has a wonderful singing voice too and I’m sure we will record her in the fulness of time.  For now, here it is, 2minutes and 30 seconds of happiness with a deliciously dark undertone.  Further production and backing vocals would I think, make this shine but these days, I’m far more interested in writing. 

Note:  I have revisited this song.  It is now mastered in WAV format and now includes backing vocals and another I think (neat) surprise!  I hope this is well received.  It's ready for my new album "Midday In The Universe" which, has been delayed for almost a year. 

Paul

For Marie.

La belle Marie

Marie said she'd wait outside the station.
I drove all day to make it so.
I travelled south to find the graveyard waiting,
Illuminated in the glow.

I never thought the witch that hung above our heads would cast a spell of love.
The sweetest love a man could find.
The sweetest love that leaves all chaos far behind.
La belle Marie,
You've set me free.
La belle Marie Dupuy.

I made a promise then to always keep you.
Champagne bottles in the rain.
I knew that nothing in this world would  ever
deny our happiness again.

I never thought the witch that hung above our heads would cast a spell of love.
The sweetest love that leaves all chaos far behind.
La belle Marie,
You've set me free
La belle Marie Dupuy.

Rest your weary head upon my arm.
I'll keep you safe beside me, safe from harm.

The sweetest love that leaves all  chaos far behind.
La belle Marie,
You've set me free
La belle Marie Dupuy.

Written by Paul Vasey October 2019

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:25:57 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
Nice one Paul, lovely airy feel to this. Great vocals,melody, and some nice chord changes. Yes you could add some backing box but it sounds great as it is.
Nice work!
Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:40:04 PM »
C'est superb M. Paul. It sounds pretty upbeat compared to some of your other stuff. It's a lovely uplifting song. Glad that things are moving in the right direction for you  :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
Interesting change of direction for you and a marked upbeat approach...quite a cinematic feel to the intro though the suddenness took me by surprise cause my speakers were at 11..LOL, something about having a French girl speaking the lyrics that is so effective....this works well my friend..well done :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »
The top and tail spoken French is a lovely touch.. Wonderfully uplifting love song. Strings work very well and give the whole thing a fantastic drive.. This is great!

K

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »

@MonnoDB Thank you for your lovely, positive comment.  Yes, full credit goes to Marie for the spoken French.  :)

@shadowfax  - again, I'm so delighted that Marie could bring a little extra to the production and yes, it is a departure from my more recent deeply emotional stripped back songs.

@pompeyjazz - Yes, this is a very upbeat song indeed and life has brought some exceptionally wonderful, heartwarming surprises lately.  There is  a new mastered version, in WAV format with backing vocals and guitar on soundcloud.  I think this song is now very much complete!

@Jamie Thank you so much.  I think that it is now sounding better than ever.  It has been mastered and is now driving along nicely!

Paul
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:34:44 PM by Wicked Deeds »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »
Hey Paul, coming on here boasting about your 'beautiful French partner'. most of us are probably jealous and depressed now!  ;) But good on ya!

Actually she has got a very sultry voice!

Besides...I was actually thinking that done slightly differently this could be a kind of disco epic, style of Pet Shop Boys, and your voice sometimes reminds me of Neil Tennant, except a more soulful version.

I like the chorus very much and the contrast with that more delicate section to the frantic strings and the robust guitar. Yep. performed very well, especially by the two vocalists! Quality item this.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »
Paul,
Great to hear you in fine spirits, sounding so upbeat and great vocals too.
Twisting and turning it motors along with real passion.
And those rather loverly strings.
My only thought is around the mix, the vocals and lead guitar are slightly proud and perhaps the ending with those lovely strings are a bit abrupt.
Going to have another spin
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »
Morning @Wicked Deeds - Paul - very intricate this one, lots going on, love the French, I also like the underlying message, she set you free, I'm sure that's from the heart. I married a German girl, it brings such a rich cultural flavour to one's life, traditions, food, values  etc. I really like it, especially the very difficult to do strings in the chorus. Chunky sounding Lead Guitar, cool, what is it gtr and amp wise , Paul?

Well produced and a refreshingly different song.

With regard to the mix, I'm tending to keep the LVox higher than I would normally do, I've been doing allsorts of test with this particular area, doing a few mixes with the LVox at slightly different levels..i.e. What you think is right, then take a +-2dB, +-4dB, the results are quite revealing. Also been doing tests (as a result of @MonnoDB 's comments about the level of my BVox, 'Commit' she said, so I've been toying with those in relation to the LVox.

Producers used to listen to the final mix with the studio door closed and see what dominated...and I've noticed that it's the LVox on pro mixes that is very high in relation to the rest of the mix, This mix sounded spot on (on AKG k701's).

Hope this helps

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
Yo @Wicked Deeds

A very unusual and very original song Paul

Super guitar work,love the spoken word too.

The song didn't click instantly with me,like some of your other tracks,but I began to dig with further plays.

Kudos to you for pushing that envelope and so glad to hear you happy again.  8)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
Well I'm a sucker for witches and castles and lovers and graveyards. And you don't disappoint. Very atmospheric and a great production full of unexpected elements. Great guitar and vocals and the fiddle and drumming is very well played, too. I think the spoken bit might be more powerful if it came in later rather than right at the beginning - I know there's a bit at the end already. Top marks.
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 04:23:37 PM »
This is delightful. I love the strings--they're so lively and joyful, a perfect accompaniment to the joy expressed by the lyric. That's all I have. Short but sweet. :D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
Hi Paul - great to hear this - it has some real drive at times, and that guitar solo was the cherry on the cake.

Shades of “Les Initiales BB” with the almost classical strings and dramatic spoken word sections, love that.

I usually tend to avoid real names in songs as it makes them very specific and not universal. But as that’s kind of the whole point here I found it added to the (unique!) story (and in folk music they do it all the time so...)

You really know how to bring over an emotion, sad or happy. I think I once wrote a happy song but I never play it... Best wishes to you.