Bucket Lister - a song close to home!

• 11 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
Hi all, well here is a new song actually inspired by current conversations going on round at our house. My wife, you see, is approaching a delicate milestone birthday in the New Year. As a result she is acting very odd...

A conversation in bed the other morning centred around her deciding she was going to write a bucket list. What for, says I, you're not dying. Doesn't matter says she, this birthday is making me think I won't be round forever and I want to live more for the moment...make a mark, y'know.

She'd been on Google and had come up with all these supposedly thrilling and quite frankly outrageous ideas - skydiving, climbing Sydney Bridge (what!), scuba diving with sharks, and other such bollocksy notions. How come they all involve danger? says I. But she's pretty much ignored my protestations for now.

So what else was left to do but write a song and keep out of her way. She might calm down in a bit.

Anyway I'll let you know if we're still married after said birthday events have concluded!

So here's my attempt at self-therapy, which I hope you'll enjoy:

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/bucket-lister

Lyrics:

Bucket Lister

The conveyor belt of life
Moves us on and that's not nice
On the ride towards the end
Oh no

As we grumble in the dark
See you want make a mark
Not something I comprehend
Oh no

There's something good on the telly
The sofa’s calling

CHORUS
No need to take me climbing
Up the Sydney Bridge
No need for bungee jumping
Off Kilimanjaro ridge
Don't need to go sky diving
To feel that I have lived
Dear bucket lister
Just take your sister
Not me

Scuba diving with the sharks
Trekking through safari parks
On a high wire between trees
Oh no

How about Southend on Sea?
On two deck chairs, you and me
Fish and chips and mushy peas
Let's go

And we can stroll on the promenade
If it's not raining

M8
Now that's excitement
A scrabble triple word score
And that's contentment
A well organised sock drawer

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:30:39 AM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
Great Stuff @MichaelA You can always be relied on to come up with something different. I like the guitars on this one, there's a kind of country feel to it. Nice dual vocals and bv's Up to you're usual high standards  :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:13:03 AM »
I listened to this very nice song with a smile, a very enjoyable listen and a good writing idea.... :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 12:43:02 PM »
Hi, nice lyric, made me smile. Love the guitars too! What does your wife think of it?  ;)
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
okay
listening now
you've got so much going for you with that voice
cool lyrics, relateable
I like that prominent guitar! n backing vocals

Bungee jumping - horrible idea. lol!

Michael A
always high-quality songwriter 
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »
Thanks for these comments people.

@pompeyjazz , thanks for not suing me for also writing a song about a bucket list about a week after you had done the same thing! But I'm innocent guv, honest!  :) Thanks for the nice comments however!

@shadowfax , glad to provide the smile. Worth a lot to me that  ;)

@Jamie, cheers. Actually my wife is semi-amused by it. She's still making that list however...

@Rightly , thanks for the comments on my voice and my output in general, very appreciated!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
Michael,
Loved the backstory to this put a huge smile on my face. My wife is coming up to one next year but she’s into experiences but not danger.. so apparently I’m going down under too!
Re self therapy have you played it to her?

Lovely mellow tune which ambles around beautifully and provides a suitable backdrop to your wonderfully wryly written
lyrics.

Like the woozy guitars. Cleverly constructed with great pre-chorus leading the chorus and pay-off line. Smart
Really liked that second vocal line too.
All topped off off with your charming vulnerable vocals.
Lots to like
:-)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 02:10:05 PM »
Yo Michael funny guy!

I listened to this a few times a week ago and admired the craftwork involved.

This one has a cleverly couched message wrapped up in dry humour,it packs a lyrical punch.

Sweet sounding guitars in there too.  8)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »
And he's done it again! Nice one @MichaelA ... love the inspiration (did she like it??).. Lovely arrangement, particularly the guitars - they're fab! - as has been noted by others..

Lyrics are really great - Unusual to have Kilimanjaro feature in a song :) ! And I love the "Take your sister, not me.." line.. Might be my fave of yours so far... A wonderful song (and see I didn't use the Q word!!)..

Fantastic!!

K

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
@MichaelA - heard this a few times, really dig it, you have your album title right there 'Bollocksy Notions'.

Really really like this, I like the laid back feel, slide guitar, very nice indeed.

Could pop in a 'radio' sounding spoken vocal in there, pick a line from the chorus maybe, usually in the outro..

'Dear Bucket Lister, just take your sister...' might work

Super song Michael

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
Thanks for these kind comments folks! It all really helps to keep persevering with this odd hobby...

@Neil C , cheers for that. Yep I have played this to the reluctant subject of the song - thankfully she is amused. So finally, some good has come out of being a songwriter! 😉

Hey @Skub , thanks and so pleased you like the guitars as I am so often in awe of yours!

Hi Karen @MonnoDB , yep she liked the song, amused even, so songwriting sometimes helps in surprising ways! Might not have to abseil Sydney Bridge now 🙂
Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Thanks @cowparsleyman , yes ' Bollocksy Notions' does sound like a cool album title! Could even be the title for a forum thread! I liked your radio vocal idea too.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
What do you mean ‘hobby’? This is life!

Anyhow, I have always said if I ever retire, all I really want to do is write songs and hang out with Mrs Lutehill, not travel ridiculous distances on an airplane, and certainly not jump out of one...

This is a great song - I think because of the balance - lyrics, melody and feel are all superb (good songs need two, great songs need all three to be great), and between humour and “make you think” moments. Nothing overdone and all beautifully judged.

One of your best I think.