Secret weapons

• 14 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: November 04, 2019, 07:38:17 PM »
Im just working on a song now and I thought what secret weapons do i have ...and it struck me that my shaker is one, its an SH5R its a little dual barrelled red thing i bought in Thomann, my other shaker is an empty ballcock filled with rice...both sound just great but I always a an aphex aural exciter to bring it out in the mix, but keep it low volume wise.

Would love to hear anything you swear by (not about)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:46:03 PM by cowparsleyman »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Gotta be a tambo for me,

Smack that baby in the background on the chorus and you have an instant but subtle lift.
Dont go crazy though or it'll sound all folky

Thats it for me.......over and out

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:44:10 AM »
For me it is “automation”

I like to get my mixes to what I refer to as a “static mix” - ie all processing (EQ, compression, fx etc.), volume balancing, and panning so that the whole track sounds great

Then I will listen for those special little things (or I will have noted them down previously) that I want to bring out in the track - eg a little piano flourish, a bass run, a drum fill, a guitar riff etc. and use automation (usually just a little volume lift) to gives each element a little moment in the spotlight

I keep it VERY subtle but it definitely adds a bit of interest to the track and means the listener usually picks out something different on each listen

I also like to use automation on a bigger scale to give a subtle difference to each verse or chorus - eg in verse 1 I might keep the piano loud and guitar quiet and then in verse 2 I will bring the piano down and boost the guitar - keeping things subtle

This keeps the “feel” of the song consistent but there is a subtle variation to maintain interest
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »
Agree Boydie

Automation is a game changer for a mix. I use it a lot on lots of material, more so vocals and guitar solos,

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
Thanks gents, very interesting read, Caz calls those thing 'Sprinkles' and I think that's a nice way to put it @Boydie

@Cawproductions - I agree about the tambo, gold dust everytime.

Automation, yes indeed that's a great tool, and I'm with you Boydie, a little is a lot in many ways, what I don't do much of is to automate plugin parameters, I should do more of this for EDM pieces.

I went for the Sonnox Inflator today (a cracking deal from everyplugin.com) ...that might also be what I've been looking for for Acoustic Gtr and LVox, I get very close with what I have...

Thanks for your feedback

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »

I like to get my mixes to what I refer to as a “static mix” - ie all processing (EQ, compression, fx etc.), volume balancing, and panning so that the whole track sounds great

Then I will listen for those special little things (or I will have noted them down previously) that I want to bring out in the track - eg a little piano flourish, a bass run, a drum fill, a guitar riff etc. and use automation (usually just a little volume lift) to gives each element a little moment in the spotlight

I keep it VERY subtle but it definitely adds a bit of interest to the track and means the listener usually picks out something different on each listen

I also like to use automation on a bigger scale to give a subtle difference to each verse or chorus - eg in verse 1 I might keep the piano loud and guitar quiet and then in verse 2 I will bring the piano down and boost the guitar - keeping things subtle

This keeps the “feel” of the song consistent but there is a subtle variation to maintain interest

+ 1 for automation - @Boydie mixed and mastered my album Golden Years, and I learnt so much along the way. There is a huge difference between a static and dynamic mix. A song just sounds so much more interesting when there's subtle volume automation going on. A casual listener would not even notice it, apart from thinking a song sounds better - and that is what it is all about! And the other thing is, from a "producer's" point of view, that the automation stage is so much FUN! At least I think so - it's when everything really comes to life.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Handclaps.
Not only do they help propel a song forward, when done right, but they are also fun as hell to record.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
Of course, it has to be the right kind of song for handclaps.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
@PopTodd - My mind was wondering - Metallica, Queen, Lordi, Bach, Chopin....now that would be fun...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
@PopTodd - Thanks - you inspired me to use Claps - 4 tracks did the job...

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »
@PopTodd - Thanks - you inspired me to use Claps - 4 tracks did the job...
:)
Nice.
Although, if you get a group of folks together around a single mic, that is the most-fun way to do it. Most efficient, too.
But, mostly it's about the fun.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
And, @cowparsleyman : post the link. I wanna hear them claps.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 08:35:21 PM »
Also, speaking of handclaps, I used them in this song, during the breakdown to help propel the thing forward. Without them, the arrangement got really choppy and slowed the momentum of the song. Once we added the handclaps, the thing moved along:
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/break-my-heart

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »
And, @cowparsleyman : post the link. I wanna hear them claps
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:53:31 PM by cowparsleyman »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »

+ 1 for automation - @Boydie mixed and mastered my album Golden Years, and I learnt so much along the way. There is a huge difference between a static and dynamic mix. A song just sounds so much more interesting when there's subtle volume automation going on. A casual listener would not even notice it, apart from thinking a song sounds better - and that is what it is all about! And the other thing is, from a "producer's" point of view, that the automation stage is so much FUN! At least I think so - it's when everything really comes to life.

@Bill Saunders - hi Bill thanks for the tip re cabs, I’m having a whale of a time with two note torpedo wall of sound, just lovely really appreciate the advice