konalavadome

You Must Come With Us.

• 15 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 20, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
Whato All

This is something that was inspired by an Italian TV film I saw in the early '80's on Channel 4, you remember, those arty farty foreign films, some were brilliant, this one was, It was about a very small village during the War that was under imminment threat of being taken over by an Enemy, what the people did in the last few hours, some panicked, some fought one can't imagine the fear.

Another influence was the Ralph McTell song 'Peppers and Tomatoes' which touches on ethnic cleansing.

The oriental influence was reading a couple of books about North Korea and what life is really like...'Nothing to Envy', and really... there isn't anything, and a friend of mine that lives in Seoul, only 100 miles from Pyongyang...

Just imagine for a moment, you hear all the rumours from locals about what the soldiers do to you, the real horrors that happened to your friends that lived in neighbouring villages, real people that you knew, then the whole thing moves slowly towards you, you can hear it across the valley, then you can smell their aftershave, then the fuel of the tanks, you hear the sounds that you wish you didn't hear.....must be awful. Enemy soldiers don't always sound threatening - hence the female voices.

I also wanted to incorporate the '80's band Japan vibe too, so there's a Mick Karn type bass in there, and some Prophet V synths etc...can't do a David Sylvian Vocal...

Anyway this is it, a bit different for me, would be very surprised if you dig it...it's not in genre jumping...too dark.

Gloves off as usual.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 06:26:23 PM by cowparsleyman »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »
Yo @cowparsleyman

I must give my thoughts on this track differently from how I would usually listen and comment.

Firstly,by it's very nature it precludes comments such as,'yeah,you need more harmony on that chorus',etc!

Yanno those kinds of docu/films which enact real life events? Quite often I don't regard them as entertainment,they are usually an uncomfortable watch,yet they resonate and leave us disturbed for a time. I've approached giving my thoughts on this track in a similar way.

It's not a piece to say,'I enjoyed that',or even,'I didn't enjoy that. I think to view it in such a manner misses the point,which is to cause the listener to take a few minutes and consider how war/occupation turns upside down the lives of ordinary people,doing ordinary things and how basically good people can become killers when seeing others under the dehumanising label of 'the enemy',rather than folk just like themselves.

It did all that for me and also made me acutely aware of just how fortunate I've been all my life. We piss and moan about a lot of silly inconsequential things sometimes,thinking of people in this situation gives a healthy dose of perspective.

I did dig the Japan touches,Ghost is a fav of mine.

Potent work Rich.

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 04:19:16 AM »
Well very interesting and cant deny how good the production is excellently executed. Loads going on in that song, and the japan bits i really enjoyed too!

Well done man, your stuff is always to a high standard.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »
CPM,
Intriguing piece this, great to listen to - as a soundtrack to something?
Held together with the bass and drums, you got the Japan thing there that you wanted :-)
Then you're clever clips and vocals take you on a journey. Spot on production.
It may be a bit eclectic but it did hold my attention.
Perhaps it could do with a bit of pruning but hit your briefing
:-)
neil 
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
Phew ! @cowparsleyman There certainly a few influences cited in your introduction. I love your invention. I'm getting the Karn and Sylvian vibe. This is a challenging piece which I congratulate you on as it's great to push the boundaries and do something totally different which is what you have achieved here. There is a great atmosphere conjured up and almost a sense of foreboding and danger.
I think you've hit the spot exactly in what you set out to achieve.

Keep em coming man  :)

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »
As always you hold a high standard @cowparsleyman :) The production on this is splendid, and the dramatic sound does the whole song for me, with the Japanese talking in the background! Wonderful!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »
Boundaries well and truly stretched in this piece my friend..admire your creative eclecticism...a piece to be proud of.. :) 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 10:01:52 PM »
@cowparsleyman I have no idea how you created this. It's challenging for sure, an interesting experience for the ears and the brain.. I really really enjoyed it.. Wasn't convinced I would but there you go... Thought- and ear-provoking! Bravo!

K

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Hi CPM, definitely got the Japan/Karn/Sylvian thing. Only a few days ago I was experimenting with bells/gamelan/marimbas etc to get a Japan style sound, dammit you've beaten me to it, though I doubt I'd have been as adventurous as you have been. Really enjoyed it.Good work, can't all be 3 min pop songs eh?
Cheers
Jamie

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 05:39:37 PM »

Hey Rich ;D

Nice work my friend.....a musical installation ;D .  Got the message loud and clear.
 Great arrangement and production of course.  My only thoughts were on the length.
 You nearly lost me around the 2.5 min mark, but were saved by the storm troopers ;D
 Then I was glad I stayed.....some really nice touches ;D .  Can't help thinking it would benefit
 from a bit more contrast somewhere......don't know where.  Change of pace maybe........
 Something to break it up a bit.......it's a taste thing ;D

Always a pleasure listening to your work  ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
Thanks to all that were brave enough to take a listen. Much appreciated.

@Binladeda - thanks...i know what you mean about holding on...It starts to get very predictable but i try to pepper it with flashes of the general idea I’m trying to put over...no 3min wonder this, i thought folk would need time to get settled their immersion, making the tanks, soldiers, jets more moving. Also see below for an admission...

I also think your right about contrast, i don’t normally linger long like this...i guess i wanted some drone like stability with the contrast coming from the unfolding story.

The preamble was also important to set the scene, descriptive words often open up a painting.

@Jamie - sorry bout nicking your thunder, sometimes happens that way...no i get restless if i keep ploughing the same furrow, you know me jamie, i get bored very quickly man. Yip there were gamelan on there, well spotted, they were totally random notes.

@MonnoDB - hi K, thanks for the kind words, i wonder myself sometimes, i actually wrote this for cowparsleywife cpw..for her yoga...and then adapted it, whena flood inspiration came to me , again one Sunday morning. When i get an idea it’s all extremely clear to me what I have to do, it’s no different from your creativity K...

@shadowfax - sorry i don’t know what electricism means... I’m a bit thick really, anyway glad you liked it. I always wanted to do some in the vein of Mick Karn, he was one of my heroes, i was lucky enough to watch him And angie bowie on ogwt reciting poetry with him on his Wal fretless, tulipwood bass, what a treat. I recently searched a bass forum to see if it was possible to get his sound from a fretless jass bass (thats what i have) they said no way, you need a humbucker and active circuitry....i thought otherwise so I’m rather chuffed ...just eq, eventide flanger and soundtoys phaser ...sorted...more after my thai curry ...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »
Curry was super...im in Germany at the moment...

@LukeArmstrongMusic - glad you liked it Luke...

@pompeyjazz - cheers John, glad it hit the spot for you.

@Neil C - i know what you
mean about the pruning, i think i would rather add more contrast as Bin suggested, i don’t want it all over too soon, it might take a while to get the groove...thanks for the comments.

@Skub - Davy your comments were just great, you got what it was about, the message, the vibe, it was if your composed it. There are folk that forget that freedom shouldn’t be taken for granted. I never do.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 08:35:44 PM »
Hi CPM - this is quite something. If art is transmitting emotion then this is it. Quite subtle and we're left alone with our feelings for much of the time which works really well. The one thing I didn't like was the "Japanese" riff around 6'18" - I think it takes us a bit out of the mood of the piece and is too obviously recognisable. I'm sure you had your reasons but I think you just don't need it.

On the other hand, that "Japan" sound is very authentic sounding and really works with the ominous theme.

And I totally agree, Peppers and Tomatoes is an amazing song.

I really "enjoy" (possibly not the correct word in this case) listening to things that I could not have thought of or brought into the world and this was really worth it (and great to have some sleeve notes on your influences too - as PJ once said, inspiration for songs can come from so many places).

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 08:52:00 PM »
@adamfarr - sincere thanks adam, i think you’re spot on about that cheesey hook nr the end, there is a reason for it, it’s supposed to convey the shallow stereotypes of the western perception of the Eastern culture, you know, but as i used it already earlier in the pice it is unnecessary, so iphone remove it...but not yet.

Glad the Japan thing worked for you , i was in awe of their sound, and wondered what sylvian sounded like when he talked as I couldn’t imagine it, saf london mate, it turned out that he lived right near my mate...catford.

I really liked his brilliant trees album, its not an easy listen but full of stuff a bit like this...

Did you know of peppers and tomatoes before?

I’m just an artist, i used to paint in oils when i got inspired, mainly copied impressionists, picasso, dichirco
Cezanne etc...i don’t get inspired by that now, just create something that no one has heard before, such as BangraDin  i also like to play around with well trodden paths...watch this space...

Rich

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 09:48:55 PM »
No, Peppers and Tomatoes is new to me today and I am very grateful for you leading me to it. Loads of brilliant touches - the wine and the beer, the cigarette smoke...