Musical Beginnings

• 35 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »
I thought that I would start a thread on this one as all of us have come from such different musical backgrounds. My story is that I was force fed music from the day I was born. My family always sang. My Grandma, Winnie thought that she was Gracie Fields. My Grandad Jim used to fiddle with a fiddle. My mums dad was an pretty good pianist. Personally , I was just obsessed by music. Got my first guitar about age 10. I played guitar in the church folk group after that and we used to do gigs for people in care homes  etc etc. Then in 77 when we did a gig in somebody's from garden for her majesty's 25th I teamed up with a couple of original pranksters, both who are sadly  not with us any more. Then I joined a new band in 79, (The Editors) wrote a load of stuff around the time that Two Tone was exploding although I must say that was not reflective music wise as to what was going on in the city. I'm still writing stuff with one of the guys from that band now.

Here's a live track from 1979

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/click79/s-wXsjN

After a couple of years I cleared off to France to work on a campsite,  some cover stuff..

Returned to UK, Joined a Jazz Funk Band (Night Flight)and we had a single out in 1984. I was dead chuffed as we recorded it in the same studio that The Specials recorded "Gangsters" in. I wrote a couple of numbers, got a couple of decent gigs but mostly nothing.

Here's a live track from 1984

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/tonight/s-pMBAb

After that, my old mate Tony and I put some demos together as Crystal Carnival and did some live stuff, had some interest but nothing happened. Interestingly Tracy Tracy of The Primitives is on backing vocals Before she was famous  :)

Here's the demo tracks

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/cliff-says-its-alright/s-Ip1g6
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/i-understand/s-73nEM
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/the-crystal-carnival/s-KV3nN
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/life-in-a-flash/s-G1mXl

I then joined a covers band doing mostly Tex Mex stuff and we used to run a weekly gig where we opened up, then had a guest band and finally a jam session for the last 45 minutes. It turned out to be very popular but unfortunately was stopped as some herbal substances were being smoked ! That was up until 96 or so then nothing until 2015 when I discovered DAWs.Well, that's my story as it is.....

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 11:09:21 PM »
How interesting! How lovely to hear where you've come from @pompeyjazz ...

My background is very boring.. Classical piano and harp (yes, really! What an awful waste of time, eh?) up to grade 8 / diploma in my late teens and then nothing for years and years... Apart from the whistle, which I learned as a kid in a completely different setting - all by ear and played in groups... and I carried my trusty tin whistle around Europe as a student and whenever we ran out of beer money, I was sent off to top up our kitty :) That was fun!

Anyways.. some years ago, I took up guitar and started to butcher a few songs with it.. It was (not very subtly) pointed out that I could probably do less damage with a keyboard /piano and so my husband (boyfriend at the time) bought me a digital piano for Xmas... some time later a friend challenged me to write a song - I did so to prove to her that I couldn't (:-)) but that backfired when I discovered that I could in fact write and I haven't looked back since.. It was the start of a therapeutic obsession!

Interestingly (for me at least), my two kids do guitar lessons (note - NOT harp!!).. They do so in a semi-structured fashion in so far as they do exams BUT the emphasis is on playing and playing in bands... NOT sitting in a room alone playing from sheet music...

Chip on shoulder??? Moi?? Never!

Edited after reading some of the other threads and listening to the musical blasts from the pasts (SUCH A FAB insight! I'll post on them when I've had the chance to listen properly), here's the first song I recorded. It was the third song I wrote ever - I never recorded the first two, one of which was the one I referred to above. This is with a few of my pals, jokingly named "The Durtburds", hollered at us at a party we were playing at (badly - it was late in a long evening!) We used to head off to a (very cheap) recording studio for weekends away every now and again - first couple of times we recorded covers - then came the challenge to write... haven't done it in a few years but it was a LOT of fun. I wasn't the singer of the "band" so this was a bit of a leap.. Here's Alice.....

https://soundcloud.com/monnodb/alice-in-a-maze

K

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Great idea...and excellent to see where you two are coming from.

For my part, my dad was a music (brass...trumpet/trombone etc) teacher, conductor and also a very good player in his day...my grandad and brother all played brass to a top level standard too...but although I'd played since I was about 3, I was never going to be up to much, really. I won my solo section at a contest when I was about 12...but I'm not the competitive type...and didn't really care, to be honest...actually - when the adjudicator handed me the first prize and saw my name, he said to me "oh...are you one of Colin's lads" ?

I'd been coerced by my school to play in their band...which was awful...and into doing my grade 3...which basically meant you knew which end of the trumpet to blow into...and vowed to do no more. I could read music from a young age...simply because my dad was a teacher and it was just what we all did...but I grew very disillusioned with it all very early on...and threw the towel in altogether in my early teens. I didn't like the way that I just felt like a performing seal...and if I jumped through the hoops to an agreed standard, somebody would throw me a fish. Daft, I suppose, as I really like fish.

When I was 17, I picked up a guitar out of curiosity...and found it very frustrating...probablky because I had been able to play pretty well on other instruments...and I was back to being a total novice. That was where the inspiration of bands that I'd always loved, like The Jam and The Clash helped me out. You didn't have to be a great player...you could just get up there and give it some.

I played a few solo gigs...but I knew I was a pretty awful singer...so didn't really take that very far...but by then, I'd started writing songs. I'd always loved poetry and writing short stories as a kid...so it was just an extension of that, really.

I played bass in a punk band...but it was going nowhere...so I sold my old telecaster bass  :'( and bought some home recording stuff and did that instead. I'd pissed about in a few jobs to such a degree that I was almost unemployable in those days...so I'd just wander around in a bit of a fog...and sit playing my guitars and writing songs. I loved it, to be honest.

I played bass in a "clubland-style middle-of-the-road" outfit in the early 90's whilst saving up to buy my first Rickenbacker 330. At the same time, the drummer and I got another band together (with me playing guitar) and started gigging playing a selection of my own songs and covers...Misery-go-Round we were called and "All the fun of the UNfair" was our tagline...we auditioned quite a few singers, as I never thought I was up to it...but none of them were a good fit. It became a case of "either do it yourselves...or forget the whole thing" so that's what we did...and were happy just to be getting away with it. We weren't great by any means...and so the late 90's saw us admit defeat with that line-up.

Then the bass player (my best pal of many years) and I put another, more punky, band together with a different drummer and carried on gigging locally until around 2002 when we threw the towel in again.

I can never seem to leave it alone though...so when I saw an advert about a guitarist wanted who loves The Jam and The Who...I was all over it like a cheap suit. I talked our old bass player into it too and we remained a three-piece...taking more of a punky direction than the drummer originally might have intended  ;)

We did ten years of solid gigging and doing pretty nicely out of it...then my voice clapped out all together and I had to quit. I was diagnosed with having functional dysphonia and a phonatory gap...they told me if I'm not careful, I could lose my voice altogether...so I stopped singing completely for a while. I then had 6 weeks of speech therapy and then some vocal lessons to get my voice back.  It was during this period where I couldn't be out gigging that I started writing again.

After a few months of not really daring to sing, in case I lost my voice...I figured that if you don't ever sing...you might as well not have a voice...so I kept writing and recording and after a year or so out of it, I re-joined my old band when I saw that my replacement had quit. I've been back with them for almost three years now...and we're busier than ever. We have very little finesse, to be honest...we just give everything a real leathering.

I recently had my garage converted into a kind of studio space...and I love disappearing into it...usually for hours on end.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
Oh well this is interesting, and a great idea! Nice one @pompeyjazz.

My story:

Didnt grow up in a musical family but my mum bought me a guitar when i was 12 because i kept getting hurt playing football and she thought it was to dangerous and thats when it all began. Massively inspired by the beatles and john lennon, then brit pop came along in the mid 90s and then starting writing songs in my bedroom.

Did a couple open mic nights in Manchester, thats where i grew up. 18 i moved to Scotland and started my own band which lasted for about 10 years.  Did ok lots of gigging which i loved and miss a great deal. Since then which is about 8 years ago now ive never stopped writing but literally just been keeping them to myself not really showing anyone apart from my old band mates.

Music is in my blood i cant live without it.

Ill never stop.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 06:05:23 PM »
I was perhaps 8 years old,  sitting with my family: cousins, brother and sister at a family wedding waiting to dive into the wonderful food and fizzy pop laid out on the table. I had my back to a piano, turned around lifted the lid and hit it lucky. I played four or five notes that didn't sound discordant! I fell in love with music  at that time and told everyone I could play piano. Years later, I discovered that I couldn't but still, I believed  that I would one day become a writer.

Despite my dislike of musicals as a young boy, I was subjected to almost every musical film as I was outnumbered by my sister and mother who loved that film genre.  From "Edelweiss," to "If I loved You', "The Black Hills of Dakota"  and "Half a Sixpence" the melodies came thick and fast.  My parents listened to Bill Hayley, Buddy Holly, Glen Miller, Johnnie Ray and Frankie Laine. All must have  shaped my musical tastes to some degree..  I tuned in to The Beatles and The Beach Boys but fate decided that the musicals would play a big part in the library of influences that I embraced. In the 70's, I listened to Don McLean, The Moody blues and many more. My uncle Rick had a marvelous record collection and so I began to listen to Pentangle, Thin Lizzy, Gerry Rafferty, King Crimson and many more artists that a boy born  in 66 would have mostly side stepped away from. 

My uncle Rick played acoustic and classical guitar to a very high standard. I remember thinking that I badly wanted to be just as cool as him. I stole my sister's folk guitar until Rick helped my mam to chose a second hand acoustic guitar for me one Christmas. I didn't look back from that point. All of the influences that I had absorbed until the age of 15, catapulted me on a journey of songwriting. I believed then that I would write wonderful music and still do today. It isn't arrogance, it's simply the best starting point. I immediately formed a band, played my first gig  to 300 people. I wrote and recorded in quite a prolific manner. I quickly  gained a reputation as a  songwriter on the local music scene and  attracted record company interest in my mid twenties from several labels. I expected to be signed and eventually supported The Stranglers at age 26, had a brief encounter with Virgin records which signalled the end of my band"Goodbye Hayley Mills.".

I then wrote for several more years then formed a band  called River which was all about mid to late 90's Brit pop. We quickly gained management support from a wealthy business man, made some expensive demos and partied  before disbanding.  I then I had no interest in playing in bands for many years though I continued to hone my writing skills.

Goodbye Hayley Mills reformed under the name of "The Vanity Rules" and self-funded an  album called "Your Absence Of Grace." It's a rock album that I'm incredibly proud of but it was tainted by arguments over ownership of copyright and who will benefit financially should it ever become successful.  I'm listed as the writer and to be honest I'll never allow the album to be more than a keepsake for the band members. I no longer wish to play in  live bands. It has been more about politics and ownership of rights  than musical ambition and the pursuit of beautiful music.

That brings me to today. My writing is prolific though I am now a very emotional writer who communicates in an autobiographical manner what is happening in his life. I should perhaps get back to my roots of writing catchy, upbeat material.   I have a huge collection of self produced songs, several self funded albums including  many "sketched" though unproduced songs. I love music. I recognise my influences and know that the early musical film influences shine through in my writing.  Time doesn't allow me to immerse myself in writing as much as I would like but I really enjoy dropping into the forum when I can. I've met some lovely folk through this place and it's clear, they are here because of their passion. I love the collaborations that happen from time to time and so I tip my hat to Nooms, The Reflections - you know who you are! Tone, and a lovely guy from the old days called called Andy Cruise. He's sorely missed on this forum! Anyway, that's me in a rather large nutshell!

Paul
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:38:52 PM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
Brilliant to read all these stories. I'm tempted to dig out some of the stuff from the old days that I have on old cassettes to further flesh out the story

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »
p.s - I've modified the original post to include some musical links. Hope it doesn't bore the s**t out of everyone, just fills in the story a bit more  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
A cool thread John,I've been reading the contributions with great interest.

Loving that track from 79. Attitude to spare!

'Out of the Game' was lush. Level 42 at work,sweet bass work. Your vox are instantly recognisable.

'Growing up'...funky as!

'Tonight' is smoking' hot. Great bass and horns,the band is as tight as they come.

'Cliff Says' I hear a more rocked up version of Knopfler here. Great playing John.

'I Understand' Pure pompeyjazz at work,we can plainly hear your roots!

'The Crystal Carnival' Digging the early Santana style guitar here.

'Life in a Flash' Great use of space and dynamics here. Rock solid groove.

A truly fascinating peek into your musical past,John. I hope some others post up stuff from years ago too.

I'm gonna have a look to see if I have anything in my shameful history!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 01:18:09 AM »
I don't think I'll manage to put my entire musical history in here. Maybe short version. I didn't do any writing that I can remember (song writing, that is--I wrote short stories and poetry from the time I could write) until I was in college (where I majored in vocal music education, so I should know theory better than I do). And then I only can recall writing one song. I remember writing another song sometime in my early married years. Then another several years later. Then one occasionally, but not often.

Then in late 2014 I took Pat Pattison's six-week online songwriting course, when it could be had for free. I learned a lot. I had no idea a person could learn techniques/tools for writing. What an eye-opener. I've been writing quite a lot since then, with occasional dry spells.

In the 1980s I did a lot of collaborating with a friend who wrote. I still had my voice back then, so it was, well, I was going to say "more fun", but I'm really enjoying what I'm doing these days. So maybe I should just say, I still had most of my voice and leave it at that. If you'd like to hear what I sounded like back then, here's a link to a song that demonstrates what I could do fairly well: Rejoice, written by David Britton, sung by David and me. It's more than 5 minutes long, so don't feel like you have to listen to the whole thing.

As far as performing goes, I started learning to strum guitar when I was 15, but I never really got very far with that. Once I was able to accompany myself with several easy chords, I kind of lost ambition, I guess. Right now I'd really like to know more, but I've actually lost quite a bit of ground, so I have to get that back first. And I'm still cursed with a lack of ambition. Lately, I started watching some beginner bass guitar videos, and I'm enjoying those, so I went out and bought an acoustic electric bass guitar. If my enthusiasm can hold, maybe I'll get good enough to play bass with a couple musical friends.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
I first picked up an acoustic guitar when I was 18, and when I realised I could change chords well enough, that was me hooked - 95% of all popular music at my finger tips! A year or two later I got an electric and an amp and I was even more hooked - I found basic soloing came fairly naturally. Never had a lesson, just picked up knowledge from a mate who was a good player.

I tried to form a band in my early 20s, but for whatever reason it didn't ever get off the ground - I've never gigged with a proper band. The whole concept seemed too scary and I was terrified I'd forget the words or the chords. Then my 30s came, along with my children and that put paid to "going out" much.

However, it was about this time (early 90s) that I started writing songs. Just singing and strumming the acoustic. I really got into it, wrote a bunch of songs and played a few solo gigs in pubs - more open mic that gigs really, mainly to a small and disinterested crowd.

Then around 10 years later, about 2001, I recorded an "album" of my own stuff on an 8 track hardware multi track. Used drum patterns from a Casio keyboard, played bass parts, lead bits, sang - bingo - I was a one man band! Looking back at those early recordings it is a bit toe curling, but it was game changer for me - the start of a love affair with music technology that has lasted ever since.

My second set of songs was recorded in around 2004 on an early DAW - a huge learning curve, but massively satisfying.

This new technology meant I was free to work at my own pace and be 100% self sufficient - it changed my life forever - it has given me exactly what I always wanted out of music, but had never dreamt was possible. I know to a large extent I've missed out on what many folk think of as the real joy of music - playing to others and with others, but what I do suits me and I enjoy it  :D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »
@CaliaMoko - just love  rejoice,  Thanks for sharing this

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 05:41:25 PM »
@cowparsleyman  : Thank you!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
Going right back,there was no one in my family who played an instrument,my mother loved music and singing,but didn't play. I recall my Da having an old mouth organ,but I never heard him play,even his humming was off key! So in more than one way,I appear to be the black sheep.

Earliest musical memories are listening to a pile of old 78s featuring Irish folk music and Scottish bands such as Jimmy Shand. The radio was always on in the kitchen too,so I heard lots of music in the course of a day.

I remember 'making up' music on my Da's old gub-iron,then pestering my folks for a guitar,so they bought me a Ukulele and a song book with chords. I have to this day a deep hatred of the sound of Ukes!

A well off Auntie bought an organ,even though none of them played,apparently it was meant for visitors to entertain them. Anyway I was allowed to make noises when I visited and after a while I was able to pick out the melody lines to various songs. Because the uke book had shown me chords to go with the melody and the organ had buttons to play chords,I was able to bang out tunes using a three chord trick and eventually get busy with the minors and sevenths! What more do ya need anyway!

While still harping on about a guitar,my folks eventually gave in and bought me an accordion... ::)
I played this from I was around 10 until I finally got a guitar at 15. It was a good old Eko 6 string acoustic,built like a tank and cheap as chips!

Next along was a no name 335 style electric and a little Selmer valve amp. That did me until I started work at 16 and began earning my own money,which bought me a Gibson SG Special and my world changed! Jamming with mates turned into learning songs and forming bands,though I was 19 before I played a gig. No Youtube or vids to help learn in those days,it was all coping the records and pestering those who played well for licks and tips!

The playing live bug really bit with me and I loved getting out and playing anywhere,church halls,youth clubs,wherever,even getting paid sometimes was cool!

Later,I played in a rock band SOS playing originals,mostly written by myself and the other guitarist. We had fun,toured the UK a bit,plus some TV and radio spots,but we never made the step in terms of recognition or making a living,so eventually we drifted apart into different avenues.

I played and wrote songs for about 20 odd years,before kids came along and the gigging slowly faded away. My guitars ended up in the roofspace and amps/effects sold. It was years before I played again and I didn't write a song for perhaps 15 years. The band/songs thing was inseparable to me,so if there was no bands,then why bother writing songs?

Then one day an old bass player pal of mine who never stopped gigging,told me his working band was looking a guitar player and the money was very good. At first I wasn't that interested,but I had been playing again for a while and thought...why not. So I went and did the audition and got the job!

The band was run as a business,all covers for weddings/functions etc. We had a ball,great people and great craic and for the first time in my life my guitar earned me very respectable money.
When this band folded,two of the members professed an interest in recording some originals. Martin owned a studio,Fiona had a great voice,so given my history with SOS,they asked me to do the writing. I had no idea if there was anything still there,but I gamely had a go and we made it work!
We recorded an album of songs,a little more laid back than the rockier stuff I used to do and it's nice to have a physical recording of those good times.All mastered by our own Boydie.
 It was also around the time I discovered this place and the first song I posted was Martin,Fiona and myself as Vance Magill.

I haven't played a live gig in about 4 years now,getting too old I think,plus a DAW makes me lazy in so many ways!

I don't have anything recorded of the really early days,probably be dreadful anyway,but for those interested,here's a few tracks taking us up to fairly recent.

A couple of SOS tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/fortune-teller

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/not-feelin-blue

A couple of Vance Magill tracks

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/01-seasons-wav-premaster

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/mouth-waltz-boydie-master-1

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
Three from the past:  Motorway Of Lies goes back to 1993/“Rooted” and “Mary Told Her News “go back to 2010

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/motorway-of-lies

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/rooted

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/mary-told-her-news

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
Some great blasts from the past. Just working my way through it. Enjoying @Skub SOS stuff atm  :)