konalavadome

Musical Beginnings

• 35 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
Very interesting thread :) fascinating reading...lorra talent going on in this forum.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
@shadowfax

Man,Kev that's some bio! A whole lotta action in a few short paragraphs!  :o

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
Great idea for a thread, nice one @pompeyjazz
I got my first guitar aged 15 from an uncle and took guitar lessons from someone locally. Back then I was into Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Aerosmith...then the whole Britpop thing came along and I got more into Oasis & indie. I had a friend who played guitar and sang and we used to practice a lot together over one summer (1995?) he went on to record an album with his band Solanoid in Seattle with Jack Endino as producer, he used one of the amps Kurt Cobain used to record 'Bleach' when recording the record.

I wrote a bunch of songs during this period some of which have survived to this day in terms of I play them live and still like them.

I got sidetracked by other things and fell out of love with music for a while (in terms of being into new music, looking for new bands to like) until around three years ago when I bought an acoustic and started writing again. These initial new songs were okay (as seen on this forum) but the ones I went on to write in the last 18 months or so are pretty great, It's taken me a while to improve and evolve as a songwriter. A couple of years ago I recorded a couple of demos in a studio with a student needing to do it for his degree. The end result was awful (my voice) but he planted the seed in my head about playing live. For some reason I has never considered it before. Starting off at open mics, writing better songs, becoming more confident on stage and playing at bigger places is where i'm at today.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
I was 13 and listening to my favorite band, Judas Priest, and playing air guitar in front of my full-length mirror. I was thinking about the physics of the guitar, and about how making the string shorter raised the pitch, when it occurred to me that I would like to learn to do that, myself. Play the guitar. For real.
So I called out to my parents, over the din of "Heading Out to the Highway."
"MOM! DAD! I WANT A GUITAR!!!"
They took it in stride, thinking it was just "a thing." But I persisted. So, that year, for my birthday, they got me a cheap Strat knockoff at a local flea market and started me on lessons.
Flash forward to 6 years later. I had quit my lessons because I hated the way they were structured and I hated practicing what they were teaching me. Therefore, I was still struggling with becoming any good at the instrument. But I still loved it. Loved the sound and loved the idea of being a great player.
At college, I had gotten into the underground music of the time.
Halloween, 1989: Went to go see fIREHOSE, with some local band called Uncle Tupelo as the opener.
UT hit the stage and knocked me on my ass. Bought their first album the day it came out and realized that... I didn't want to be a great guitar player anymore. The SONGS were what it was all about.
So, I set out to start writing my own tunes.
And... that is where I still am. Writing my own tunes. (Although I have become a better guitar player, at least.)
And, if you are still reading... that is the story of Todd and his journey to becoming a songwriter.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 01:50:05 PM »
@PopTodd - I loved reading about you musical life. Judas Priest Eh? never would have thought it.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
Yup. Maiden, too. But, in that very moment, it was Priest.
And I still love them.
Gonna put on British Steel right now, I think.
 8)