Taking Stock

• 9 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
 Well...still laid low with a pretty nasty chest infection...it’s been three weeks now...and on my second round of antibiotics...so I decided to treat myself  :P to a clean install of the new Mac Catalina OS.

I’d read that Waves and Izotope and almost every other purveyor of plugins and VSTs had recommenced NOT installing it until compatibility issues had been sorted out...which got me thinking about that issue in itself and also about how things would be if I just dumped the whole lot, did a fresh install and just used the native sounds, drummers and plugins of the free native Apple GarageBand DAW which I’ve always loved, despite its cartoon-style visuals and slightly limited functionality.

Anyway...I did a few remixes of some recent songs just using built-in features...and although it’s early days...I’ve been surprised how easy it’s been to get stuff sounding pretty close to what they were...without any extra plugins or VSTs...although I never really went overboard in that department.

Anyway...I think I’ll leave everything as it is until I hit a problem or really “need” any extras.

Obviously, I’m very much an amateur, so this won’t be of much consequence to the more advanced folks on the forum...I just thought I’d have a bit of a ramble in between coughing fits.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »
Your description of your health challenge reminds me of when I had pneumonia. I hope you mend soon! Coughing is the worst.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
@PaulAds - Do you know Paul, I had the same thing, over 3 months I fell awful, chest infections, trips to the Docs... 2 lots of Anti B's, so I know what you've been going through, not nice at all.

Get Well soon man.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
I'm still on Yosemite because I greatly fear update compatibility issues. I try never to fix what isn't broken.

I'm glad you're not dead Paul,I wouldn't like it if you were dead.  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
Most plugins are totally overrated. Don't buy them! Health, however, is underrated. Look after that.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »
Hope you feel better soon Paul. Songwriting has always been the most important ingredient when writing songs and you have that skill nailed on!

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:15 PM »
Thanks @CaliaMoko @cowparsleyman @Skub @adamfarr and @Wicked Deeds :)

Very kind of you all...I'm sure I'll be back misfiring on all cylinders soon...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
Look after yourself mate..get well soon..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »
Hi Paul, take care of yourself mate, I got pneumonia a few years ago and it nearly killed me. I don't take any risks with my health if I can help it, especially the old chest! Glad you're feeling better.

Cheers

Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »
Hi @PaulAds take care of yourself! Health, wealth and all that! Look forward to hearing the fruits of your GB exploration!!

K