Fake Smile

• 8 Replies

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:49:47 PM »
Good evening everyone!

I have been struggling with anxiety for as long as I remember. Since I was 8 and in 3rd grade, I think. It has been part of my life, and then the depression and panic attacks came when I got a little older. I just put on a fake smile and acted happy, cause that's what boys did, and it was, and still is so tabu for boys and men to talk about their struggles. This song came to life after I almost had my first panic attack in roughly 2,5 years. This is, by far, the most vulnerable I have been in my music, and more is to come, cause after this I had an idea. An idea to start up a community for people struggling with mental health, but also for those who know someone who is, where they can talk with someone who has been through the same things, and in time I hope to create houses as a meeting-point around the world, where they can meet likeminded people and meet new friends. Also, I have been planning about starting a collaboration project with other artists, who have been struggling or know someone who is, where the profit of my share goes to this project. My hope is that I can help someone with the pain they are bearing.

Anyway, here is the song. I made it as a private track, cause my plan is to not release it until later. But, I want you guys to hear it as it is now, how I wrote it. Might add some piano or strings or maybe both, to add some flavor to it, so any feedback is much appreciated! :) Have a good evening and take care of each other!

https://soundcloud.com/lukearmstrongmusic/fake-smile/s-Xn9Sq

Fake Smile

You don’t see if there’s something wrong
Saturday night I’m the one sitting all alone
I always play it cool say I’m doing alright
While everyone’s out leaving me behind

I’ve been hurting, and nobody sees that it’s all just an act for the gallery
I’ve been trying, to be only me and not someone I’m not proud to be
And I-I-I-I just gonna put on a fake smile
And I-I-I-I just gonna act like I’m doing fine
But I’m not

I have been left with scars that you don’t see
I’ve been depressed and left with my anxiety
Since I smile I’m told I can’t be a mess
Born to be a man I’m taught to feel less

I’ll stay strong, I promise I’ll get by, but the pain has taken over my life
I know it’s wrong, to keep it all inside when there’s no place I can hide
But I’m not

I won’t cry for help
I won’t cry for help
I can’t save someone else
Before I save myself

But I’m not

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:36:09 PM »
Hi @LukeArmstrongMusic A very brave post and good on you for being so open and honest. Hey, I can appreciate where you're coming from with the fake smile. Great vocals and subtle acoustic work, sung with passion and real feeling. Keep on with your music Luke, it's so therapeutic and allows you to totally express yourself. All the best to you,  John

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
Hey @LukeArmstrongMusic - as John says, a brave and honest post. No reason why not, eh? Although I get that it can be hard to be so open but it can also be quite freeing... I love songwriting for how it allows you channel those emotions into something tangible and therapeutic to boot.

This is a beautifully written piece delivered with passion and feeling. I loved it.

K

Sunduta

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 12:31:41 AM »
hello @LukeArmstrongMusic :) I like your voice, powerfull and bright. There are also some calm and nice guitar parts. I am also person dealing with mental issues and music is one of the best things to do for us.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
Great post.

I can relate to a lot of the lyrics.

A raw and honest track, I think works stripped back and bare like that. It matches the vulnerability.

Good work

Yodasdad

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
@pompeyjazz - Thank you kindly, John! Music is really a good therapeut when the times are tough!

@MonnoDB - Thank you so much! Once you open up, it is kinda quite freeing, yeah :) Music and songwriting, in particular, has been a savior in tough times!

@Sunduta - Thank you kindly! Mental illness is a bitch, eh? The anxiety I can live with, cause then I just need to really challenge myself to get past it, but depression and those mental breakdowns are more sudden and unexpected, and really could destroy a day, week or even month. Music is an amazing way to deal with all of the bad stuff and has been of good help. I hope you are doing well!

@Yodasdad - Thank you kindly! I was hoping that my lyrics could relate, even just a little bit :) I think I have ended up with doing this totally raw and stripped down, with the possibility of some ultra-soft drums in the background!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Hi luke,

Engineer hat on:
Like the other have said, great vibe with the guitar picking, vocals in places were amazing but could do with a little tweak in places.
Tighten up those vocals to that Guitar ryhthm and you will be sorted. You have a lovely track on ya hands.

Listener hat on:

But, hey dude, I hear you got troubles and if this is soothing things in anyway then I take my hat off to you.
You are in the right place on this forum, loads of positive peeps.

Keep up the good work Luke.
Andy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:23:21 PM by Cawproductions »

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
@Cawproductions - Thank you so much, Andy! :) I will polish it more when I get the proper time to work on it and record it ready for release and I will work on tightening those vocals :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »
Hello Luke

I think Montgomery Clift once said something to the effect that the difficulty in life was to remain sensitive to everything without it bringing you down...and he certainly never seemed to manage it...

Well done for tackling it head on and putting your ass on the line...you've got plenty of balls...that's for sure.

Good luck and keep writing and posting!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter