Prittiest Thing - Remixed using your suggestions

• 25 Replies

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »
Very SAW! Takes me back to my childhood ha! Love it.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Ah, those were they days when SAW rules the world Yep, I'm old enough  :o :o to have first hand experience :-)
I'd say mission is completed, all boxes checked, sounds like the real deal and the chorus is super catchy.
Really nice mix as well, well done!
Btw, Vince Clark called and wanted his synths back...

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
Yo @cowparsleyman

The first 2 or 3 seconds I thought I was going to hear Split Enz doing Nobody Takes me Seriously (one of my all time favs) but that was soon dispelled!

As others have said I wasn't a fan of SAW,so I won't labour that point,in fact if you hadn't poisoned my mind with their filthy names,then it may have been easier to drop my preconceptions!  :D

Listening to the song itself,it's a lovely well made light and airy pop choon. I also heard the vocals a bit pitchy here and there,not by a mile,but because the quality of the singer is so otherwise great,it stands out a tad. Caz haz a fine voice.

Love the little curved ball at 2.10,though you threw me again as I was expecting a full blown attack of the chorus to fade out! Loved the switch to vocals for the ending.

Smart work Rich,after a few plays I'd even forgotten about the triple Satan of SAW.  :P

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
@shadowfax - yeah, seems to be some kind of concensus here...

@RealKevM -  And what are those braces on Kylies swimming cozzie top she had on on the i should be so lucky viedeo  all about?

@Jambrains - cheers , praise indeed from the production meister, always respect your work mr J.

No Vince can’t have his dx7 back, it’ll take me a lifetime to figure out how it works...and don't ask about the matrix12 or the Fairlight, i remember a producer mate of mine recalling kate bush and the fairlight, she only managed to get the sound of broken glass out of it, cost her a packet in hire charges, you can hear it on Experiment IV, with Nigel Kennedy on fiddle ( a truly wonderful Song all about the government wanting develop a weapon using sound - don't look any further than this song!)...

@Skub - cheers man, just took a listen to the Enz track, boy they are talented, i remember seeing them on sight and sound in concert, just brilliant song writing, Never forget it, haircuts and wonderful songs. It does rather sound like that.

You too are one I totally respect here Davy.

Thanks again for the critiques, I’ve spent the day retracking and remixing it...I’ll put it up on Sc as a SWF remix, and tell me what you think...someone mentioned lots of layers..this has about 52 tracks, not a huge amount but i wondered how that managed it back in the early 80, the did have 48 ch desks then and rows of 2” Studer tape machines, and the spaghetti of the patchbay going off and back to the outboard gear the credit for ‘Engineered by’ is often overlooked.

Change list
Flanger on Opening gtr
Reduced congas length,
More of my BV’s in bridge and committed them and outro (idea by @MonnoDB and @jack simmons)
A hook from V1 at the end with a dirty radio sound ... it all sounded a bit too clean up to that point ...lest they forget it
Tverb on bv’s buss
Added portions 2 track BV’s in v1 to thicken the end of each line.
Offset some BV's a tad to thicken, rather than use microshift (I tried both and the former sounded better)
Aligned LVox in V1 but decided not to melodyne it.
Tried and rejected a few other ideas.
Remixed - LVox were re assesed
Remastered

Not a huge difference it’s different rather than better.

Hope you like it, up for feedback...

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:40:14 PM by cowparsleyman »

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
Here is the Remix....Gloves off is fine.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:46:24 PM by cowparsleyman »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Hey CPM - SAW is that some kind of saucy audio workstation?!

Not my scene really, I did use to like those ‘sequenced’ synth lines and yours is great here.

Speaking as a very (very) non-expert, my feeling was, though, that this was light in the bass department - i kind of expected a massiver (fake) kick drum and maybe some sort of 808? style bass going on “down there” to really get the feet moving and fill out the sound. Maybe...

Also, you shouldn’t have mentioned the other vocal versions -  the vocals are fine but I think I’d definitely like a snarlier take on this...

Sorry! Possibly this one just not for me so feel free to ignore...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »
Wasn't totally happy with the mix, so it's just as I want it now....

@adamfarr - Ho Ho Adam more like Snarly And Wacky , that's OK, it's not to everyone's taste, didn't want an 808 on this one, but thanks for the thought, You know I did an extra snarly version, but that was a bit to Ramstein/SlavB - eque for this one  (that was one of the chnages, I took off the snarli-ness from Caz's refrain at the end, I was getting love letters from snarlmeup.com

Thanks

Rich

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 09:36:28 PM »
well that was the longest three minutes ever.

lol!!
no, I'm just kiddin.

The lady singing really sounded quite appealing, sexually. (say hi from me)
There really is something perversly enjoyable about this song.
You've done a good job at the production

S A & W
they were irritating back in the day, there was just no way a teen could avoid them.
Unlike Madonna, I really think kylie M. got better with time.

Good job.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »
Remix sounds very authentic Rich. I won't harp on about my thoughts on SAW as most of it would be censored, but just to say I think you captured that genre. Looking forward to hearing the next genre  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 10:10:50 PM »
Which genre next, i love a challenge and i was very interested and not a little surprised by the anti SAW feeling, they are very very talented in what they do, one doesn’t  have to like the songs, just how they craft them, thats what I really admire, it is a genre that you know is thelrs, so you know, either you like it or not, and that takes a lot of work.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions, very grateful.

We’ll see what’s up next ....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:45:39 PM by cowparsleyman »