Can I do this?

• 17 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
Yesterday I started a song and I used a bass line that was part of  Mark King’s 43, but i slowed it down and it sounds very similar to A walk on the wild side.

It is my own song, but it sounds like I’ve ripped it off..

It’s not ripped off. Many songs are inspired/influenced by others.

What do you think?

Thanks

I’ll pop a link down here soon

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
If a song sounds too much like another song already out there then I would bin it... :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »
@shadowfax - Hmm, one never knows how folk will take it....Oh yeah that's a cool take on it...or Blimmin rip off...

Just out of interested I think I'll whizz it in WIP here and then decide...I have to admit @Dom Hunt would nail a LVox line, kind of half spoken/half sung...If you're up for it Dom?

It's very early doors though (not early doors as in the band....)

as @pompeyjazz might say 'anything can happen in the next half hour'

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »
This is a very interesting question. Been some disheartening lawsuits as of late. I’ve not listened to the track yet cause I’m on my phone but I think taking inspiration, even heavy inspiration, from other songs is a good thing and to be encouraged. Interestingly I’ve strayed very close to what I consider a “rip off” with a song I am working on right now. An homage to Under Attack by ABBA that I might not get away with. Will have to see what the forumites think.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
@cowparsleyman I've used loops and samples, slowed down,  sped up, manipulated etc etc. Totally legit imo unless it's a blatant Rip off  :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »
If you've only done the bass line so far wait until you've built on it then decide....might not be that obvious.
I wouldn't worry about lawsuits. Nobody's going to bring a case against you unless you make millions...then you won't care anyway. They won't take it all!
That seems to be the way it goes. Just so long as you can live with it of course.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
Heres the idea, Thanks to all that have responded so far..

I'll be very interested to hear the feedback from the forum.

Feel free to download it.. add any ideas for the melody line for LVox..Lyrics...whatever you want to do...open season.

Personally I think @Rightly or @Dom Hunt would make it come alive, or @pompeyjazz (if you half talk have growl in your best Costello voice  8)) @crystalsuzy would also be a great vocalist. I would direct the vocalist to make it sound edgey, cryptic, and the focal point, kind of song where you were not so sure at the first listen, then warm to it in subsequent listens...uneasy lyrics, that a slightly off putting (the same kind of thing like the 'Wipe away the chicken fat.. in Spitting Feathers)

If you want me to change the chr bass line I'm OK about that, there's no M8, but I think it needs one...getting a bit boring imho, needs a break from the riff.

Good luck....

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - I won't be releasing this, so no issues there....and your'e right they won't care about little ol me.

@Jack Simmons - Jack, thanks for the response - best of luck with the song.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
Apologies If I'm not allowed to put an idea in this part of the forum...but I though it was logical to keep it here....

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
....for completeness, here is a good tutorial for Level 42's '43' - see if you can spot the bit that I 'borrowed'

Good luck if you decide to learn it, it's a great feeling to play it live, certainly made the other artists grin....

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
Well yes it does sound very similar...ok same notes but even the sound is similar...not so bad once it's got something else on top of it.
Depends how much you care when the first thing everybody says about it is that it sounds just like etc etc
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
It does sound VERY like Walk On The Wild Side, especially on its own ! Decisions, decisions eh !!!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 07:25:00 PM »
I really like it.
I'll try to put something to it and sing on it.
Its usually the muse that takes me, it's very difficult to force something of quality.
It's a great starting point.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
Dude! Me, personally would not worry for one second if it sounds like something else,  you are allowed to be inspired and i would never bin it....go with it......like @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra said once you build around it it will be your own sound./song

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
Many thanks indeed to all those that offered advice.

Similar yes, but not the same, I didn't want it the bass to slide down again, only up, and I imagined the vocals to be totally different

So now I see where you take it, everyone very welcome.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
As a backing track it brings to mind Walk on the wild side but once you put your own tune on it the similarity with  Walk on the wild side will disappear. nothing wrong with using the same chords... :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:25:01 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!