No More Tears

• 31 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »
Hi, great piano playing, and some great chords in there (I've used some of them myself I love Aug/Maj 11/13 ths etc etc). Great vocal too!. I wouldn't change anything its great as it is.Think this might be the first one of yours I've listened to, I'll watch out in future!

Cheers
Jamie

Modestmouse1965/

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
Great listen. I agree with shadowfax about the West End ref. Also agree that subtle strings in certain areas would work although it sounds perfect the way it is. Again i get a Kate Bush vibe from this which is a compliment in any ones book. If reducing the piano volume, in my ears it would be ever so slightly as it doesn't overpower the vocals too much. Enjoyed and will have to check out your other stuff now.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »
@pompeyjazz thanks so much for giving it another listen and thanks for the comments on the new mix.. much appreciated (as I really don't know what I'm doing mix-wise  ;D ;D ;D).

@Jamie thanks so much.. I think you checked out my last one too (it had whistle) but yes I defo think we're just coming across each other now as I'm relatively new to the forum. Thank you for your lovely comments.. and I'm another fan of such chords.. look forward to checking your stuff out too - love your new one!

@Modestmouse1965/ thanks so much.. Never see myself in that genre so interesting to see refs to it and KB well, I am not worthy but love to even slightly evoke such a comparison. Thanks re comments on levels - hopefully I've addressed that with this mix.

K

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
Hi karen.
This is a very moving piece, your vocal tone is great for this, that Low piano register and those little pauses do it for me.

Very nice work.
Andy

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
Wow, this is very good Karen. Love the piano motif...nice chords!...and the way the piano arpeggio parts pick the song up and carry it along when they come in. The vocal is absolutely lovely too of course.
Nice bridge too...love how it's introduced with that piano bit and the vocal going right down on the 'I will keep'...just got there!...but it sounds cool.

Does it need something else...maybe not...always difficult to know isn't it...and if it did have strings coming in they would be tricky to get right....no, it doesn't need them. Works great the way it is
I think it was maybe your last song where I was unsure about having the piano AND the acoustic guitar....this one you definitely did right to keep it unadorned. The piano takes a leading role...along with the lovely vocals. It fits here.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 09:56:34 PM »
@Cawproductions - thank you Andy!

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - thanks and yes that line is very low.. :) Yes you're right, well last but one, I had piano and guitar in it. I think you were right then and now on this one. Thanks so much..

K

Sunduta

• Busker
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 01:00:18 AM »
hello @monnoDb :) Your songs always touch my heart. Chorus is outstanding and vocals expression is sublime. I also like dramatic piano, well done :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »
Hi Karen
This is crazy good. I’m sure I’ve listened to both mixes now but the current one is excellent.

The line “an impenetrable she’ll of steel” has a great rhythm and poetry to it. I also really like the phrase “I won’t be saved” which has a slight double meaning - I’ll never be saved and I don’t want to be saved, which is great.

The dramatic pause sealed it for me - super song and performance. 

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2019, 07:09:44 PM »
Thanks a mill for your lovely comments @Sunduta - much appreciated!

@adamfarr - thanks so much for your lovely comments and for checking out both mixes. Glad to hear that I appear to have (almost at least) fixed the levels problem.. You always make me think about my lyrics  ;D - I do like to fill my songs with lots of syllables! Re "I won't be saved" yes I guess it's probably more the latter but yes I do like the ambiguity... Thanks so much.

K

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
Hi Karen

Cheery? haha I thought for a moment you wrote cheesy  :D
But this is great - lovely vocals and dark mood a la Alanis Morrisette.
Love how the piano hammers on that 9th note  ;D and your vocals re perfect as usual.

There's nothing not to like in this one
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
a wonderful vocal performance. A beautiful honest and emotive song. Stunning!

Paul

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 10:28:23 PM »
I cannot offer much more but just saying I really like the lyrics

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 12:19:43 AM »
So Dark and yet lovely at the same time. very well done!
I really like the melody change @ "What goes on inside my head"
I was sad when this ended....:). Ray

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 10:22:26 AM »
Hi Karen,

Right in my ball park.
Loving the mood.
Piano sound is really nice.

I could imagine Martin Gore singing this during his solo spot at a Depeche Mode gig.

Needs a black and white video.

Digger