konalavadome

Closest Friend

• 13 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »
A big thanks to @Neil C and @Boydie for providing bass and electric on this, respectively. It's really helped me (hopefully) get a live, organic sound for this song. Anyway, that's what I am going for, something laid back and natural sounding like early Belle & Sebastian.

Story wise. I wrote this song a year or so ago but have only now recorded it. It's about someone who was a very good friend of mine, actually a lot more than that. But there are people you have to cut yourself loose from sometimes.

As always, thanks for listening.

Lyrics:

You were my closest friend
Set me on the mend
All the love you gave was always on the nose
Here we go again to struggle through another sunny day

Run faster off to the bastard you call a friend
Though your job is dead end
It's a start, you know that it's a start
Won't need to share a bath with him when the studio opens your heart

And when the studio opens your heart I'll be there on the next day
To look at your art but if you want I'll stay away
Please don't send me away
'cause you're on your own again, there's nothing you can do
On your own again to see a whole night through

You were my closest friend
Set me on the mend
All the love you gave was always on the nose
Here we go again to struggle through another sunny day

Pull the other I know your mother didn't die
It doesn't make me cry
Why the tall tales?
Why all the betrayals?
It didn't make me care more, you know that's impossible

When it opens your heart I'll be there on the next day
To look at your art but if you want I'll stay away
Please don't send me away
'cause you're on your own again, there's nothing you can do

You're on your own again, there's nothing you can do
You once told me you were feeling down
So I took your hand and I led you round
A southern town, a southern town
But now you only make me frown
Every now and then I think of you
Though I don't think you're my friend anymore
I don't think you're my friend no more
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:43:39 PM »
Hi @Jack Simmons I'm really getting that Belle & Sebastian vibe. This is fabulous stuff. Lovely and melodic. You've opened up your heart with the lyrics but for me, if you're singing with your heart on your sleeve that makes a huge difference. Top quality bass work and production as well. Top tune man  :)

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
Definitely belle & sebastian vibe! Great harmony in there also.
 I found it very uplifting.......should I of?

The song has a really nice vibe.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »
@jacksimmons - Nice work Jack, can't think of anything that would improve it, Sorry I've never heard any Bell and Sabastien, so I can't comment on that..

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »
Jack, a really intriguing story put to a neat jangly catchy pop tune. Great last line too.
It was enjoyable and interesting learning the song, it felt like structurally you had lots of pre-choruses with slight variations before you get to the big pay-off chorus.   
And I also got to play with @Boydie!!
Thanks again
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 04:26:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

Not listened to B&S either, but this sounds very accomplished.
Great vocals. Strong melodies and harmonies.
Some of the vocal style made me think of Morrissey a little.
Quality playing and production.
Sounds pretty damn pro to me.

Digger
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:53:05 PM by digger72 »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 07:26:40 AM »
Hi Jack, like Digger I was also getting a Smiths/ Morrissey vibe... lovely jangly indie pop. I like how you save the multi tracked vocal harmonies for certain specific parts and use them sparingly, they are very effective when they do appear. Lyrically I enjoyed the ambivalence ...couldn’t really tell if it was a long song or you were letting off some angst, and it’s all the better for that - multi-dimensional.
It's all too beautiful.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »
Hi @Jack Simmons I'm really getting that Belle & Sebastian vibe. This is fabulous stuff. Lovely and melodic. You've opened up your heart with the lyrics but for me, if you're singing with your heart on your sleeve that makes a huge difference. Top quality bass work and production as well. Top tune man  :)

Thanks man! I'm glad the Belle & Sebastian vibe came through in the finished product. Thanks for listening!

Definitely belle & sebastian vibe! Great harmony in there also.
 I found it very uplifting.......should I of?

The song has a really nice vibe.

haha I m a big fan of songs that are uplifting on the surface but are a little sadder underneath. I meant for parts of the melody to be uplifting, sure, but the story isn't. So yes! Thank you that is exactly what I was going for.

@jacksimmons - Nice work Jack, can't think of anything that would improve it, Sorry I've never heard any Bell and Sabastien, so I can't comment on that..

Thanks @cowparsleyman for lsitening. Much appreciated and glad you enjoyed it.

Jack, a really intriguing story put to a neat jangly catchy pop tune. Great last line too.
It was enjoyable and interesting learning the song, it felt like structurally you had lots of pre-choruses with slight variations before you get to the big pay-off chorus.   
And I also got to play with @Boydie!!
Thanks again

Thank YOU Neil for providing bass on this it was a real pleasure to work with you and it added a new dimension to the recording process. Was really fun collabing with others on this one. You are right that there's a lot of sections here. This actually started life as a few different snippets that I was unsure what to do with, and they sort of fell together as as I was writing it. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Jack, like Digger I was also getting a Smiths/ Morrissey vibe... lovely jangly indie pop. I like how you save the multi tracked vocal harmonies for certain specific parts and use them sparingly, they are very effective when they do appear. Lyrically I enjoyed the ambivalence ...couldn’t really tell if it was a long song or you were letting off some angst, and it’s all the better for that - multi-dimensional.

Thank you very much Paul! I suppose this is an...angsty love song of sorts.

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
Hi, very accomplished song and performance guys, well done! Got the B&S vibe, also a bit of Haircut 100 ???. Great vocals and harmonies, very enjoyable listen.
Good work
Cheers
Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
A very gentle production, reminded me of sixties pop, something like The Seekers (you will probably have to look them up, ha ha!) all well thought out instrumentation and delightful vocals, especially through the harmonies section.

It's a really great song which you've put together with some expertise. Well done indeed.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
My Dad was mad on the gorgeous Judith Durham...by the time I liked em the Carnival was Over

adamwolf

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »
I really like this. I don't know who belle and sebastian is but I got Jay Jay Pistolet vibes (lead singer of the vaccines was a solo act before the band) and Noah and The Whale vibe as well. It's very pleasant to listen to, very good job.
and though we cry
we must stay alive
let my blood only run out
when my world decides
there is no way out
of your only life
so run on...
run on

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
 Very tight and delicately done bright and breezy pop...with a melancholy undercurrent. Super vocals and top notch production.

Nicely understated performances from the forum guys.

Top marks also for the most polite delivery of the word "bastard" I've ever heard.

Here's some suggestions...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 10:25:21 PM »
I was reluctant to bump this thread again but really don't want to leave these comments unresponded to (is that a word?)

@Jamie Thanks for the listen! Glad you got the B&S, and I shall have to check out Haircut100. A name I have heard but never followed up on.

@MichaelA Likewise with the Seekers!  I did have to look them up but if I only listened to bands from my era I wouldn't listen to...any of my favourite bands haha. I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

@adamwolf Thanks for the listen. I know Jay Jay Pistolet. I was a MASSIVE fan of the Vaccines when they first burst on to the scene. His vocal style really influenced me and my first band, although I've sort of strayed from that now. I haven't listened to a great deal of his solo stuff but it's on the list.

@PaulAds Thank you very much Paul. I am striving slowly for the poshest voice in indie...Video did make me laugh a lot but can't believe there was no GoT in there!

Right, I'm taking the song down to prevent anymore CPR on this thread. Thanks a bunch for all the feedback guys.