The Skull Behind The Smile

• 21 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
Hello

This started out as an attempt at a Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera kind of thing...but I went off on one a bit, I suppose. Interesting story behind the lyric...so I'm being deliberately vague...sorry  :)

The Skull Behind The Smile

Verse 1

So maybe you figured
She fell from the sky
Into your lap
With no reason why

Too good to be true
She’s not what she seems
She'll give you some love
And take all your dreams

Verse 2

Head starts to spin
Heart starts to pound
Intoxicated
You sink to the ground

She sold you a dummy
to be by your side
She's in for the kill
And she won’t be denied

Nina comes to cast her spell then she slips back into the shadows

You can't help but feel
You've been here before
You come to your senses
And show her the door

Chorus

Heart-breaking
Mistaken
She’s the gift that keeps on taking
You know that she’ll never go out of style
But maybe you'll see
The skull behind the smile

Verse 3

Happy returns
And last-minute plans
You don't even realise
it's out of your hands

She’s destined to find you
There's nowhere to run
You pull on the ribbon
And then you're undone

Nina comes to cast her spell then she slips back into the shadows

You've broken the seal
There’s no going back
She blows you a kiss
That turns everything black

Heart-breaking
Mistaken
But maybe you'll see
The skull behind the smile

Heart-breaking
Mistaken
She’ll always be
The skull behind the smile.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:33:54 AM »
Hi Paul - loved the Aztec Camera Vibe, nice 12 string work.

Maybe move the key up maybe a whole tone, then push the vocals more, it sounds like it's a little low for your vocal range, which is preventing you pushing it more, it sounds like you want to push it but can't...it gets more oomphy in the choruses.

Hope you don't mind.

Rich

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:31:54 AM »
Love the energy in this one.  :D
Your vocals are super as always and the chorus really lifts - as it should!
Lyrics are just vague enough to hold interest  :D
Enjoyed the listen
Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 03:13:21 PM »
Super stuff Paul - I'm getting the Aztec Camera vibe. Love that 12 string sound and of course the Ricky bass. The chorus is real catchy - One that you have to hear a couple of times then you're singing along to it. Another smash hit in my book  :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »
Great sounding intro with that lovely guitar work...really draws you in.
Interesting trading lines vocal which is sounding very good again...your singing that is.....

Nice uncomplicated bass work which adds a lot of bounce to the track.

Yes it's a neat chorus which bears a lot of repeats and that takes the song out in style..with the added guitar of course...it could have repeated more and been fine by me (hey, you said that about my last song!) but you've got make the decision to end it sometime haven't you. For this reason I might have preferred a fade ending but I know that's not popular for some!

At first listen I wanted the chorus again after verse 3 (boring, conventional, me!) but now I'm sold on the instrumental break and the talking bit and THEN loads of chorus repeats....works well!

I'm pretty useless...I only knowingly know one Aztec Camera song so can't go into that.

Deliberately vague is fine by me....I'm a sound person (some might not think so) so lyrical content often goes over my head anyway. Sorry!

Good stuff Paul. Your singing is very good these days! Is that an organ in there hiding?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »
Hi!
Very good vocals here. Was it just my ears or did you alternate the pan slightly for every vocal line? Nice effect anyhow. I kinda wanted one more chorus in there somewhere cos it really lifted when it came. Fun thing, intro made me think of the old 90s "classic" sex on the phone by... some band and the first chords in the chorus had a little wham last Christmas feeling to it.
Superb production!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »
Hi Paul, excellent, really good. I get the Aztec C thing, but I got more than a whiff of Squeeze with some of those eccentrically nice chord changes 8). 'The gift that keeps on taking" :D Brilliant! Loved the bass and the bass sound, great production as ever.
Top notch mate!
Cheers
Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
That 12 string thingy reminded of that famous Cockney Rebel song of old - I'm a sucker for the use of acoustic punctuating electric tracks adding a more delicate touch. But as for other comparisons, I can see why Jamie said Squeeze because of the style of chord changes and long narrative verses followed up by a punchy chorus.

I don't know why but I wondered if a female vocal harmony over the chorus would help this, both in the storytelling and adding more dynamic difference between the verses and the choruses.

Very much admired this production, very tight and upfront. Liked the slight vagueness of the lyrics too, letting you imagine more detail for yourself. And that chorus really sticks in your head on the second listen!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »
This is fab @PaulAds - killer chorus.. so catchy!! Great arrangement too - love it all and the drums are really good.. Really like that panning thing you did with the vocals (is that what you did? sounds like it..).. Great energy to the whole track. Loves when the chorus comes in after that interlude.. A winner for me! I do believe I always really like your stuff, this probably my fave so far!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
where you running around your studio when you recorded the vocals?..LOL :) typical of you to produce another song with more excellent lyrics..you just keep doin it duntya!!! never heard of aztec watsit so cannot compare but why would I, your stuff is always original and always very clever... :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »
Paul,
Got the Roddy/Aztec reference from the off :-)
Enjoyable, energetic catchy number
Use of some interesting chords was cool, great bass and acoustic solo one the chorus.
Is the acoustic the 12 string?
Lots of words liking the stereo effect on chorus.

Thoughts - I just found the mix and sound a little to 'hot' and brittle. I would try and tone down the snare, the vocals and the overall mix somehow. It feels like you're hitting the red limiters a bit to much and maybe a less is more approach - I dunno if that makes sense I'm no sound engineer.
I think perhaps something to differentiate the chorus - maybe take the organ out of the verses and then bring in more on chorus or some strings above the vocal line.
Cool tune, going to have another listen
:-)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
Hi Paul, I definitely got the Aztec Camera summery vibe but your lyrics mix a bit of vinegar with the sugar so it doesn’t get too sacharine. Liked the organs too. Cryptic story telling as per your excellent style, and a good length (I love an abrupt ending!).
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »
Pillar to Post was the first record I ever bought (picture disk and all) so I was well up for this one.

Great guitar sounds. These days I see you are also very much into keyboards too - really working well.

The chorus is a joy of hip-hop-esque rhyme and wit - "the gift that keeps on taking" is genius.

I would have to say that I came away with only a vague idea of what this is about. Question is would it be improved by more directness? Would an impressionist be improved by being in focus? Doesn't really matter, I wouldn't want you going any other way.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 02:10:51 PM »
Ta, everyone!

Yeah...I like a bit of keyboards here and there...clattering guitars can become a bit limiting sometimes...so I like having a few extra sounds available.

I recently picked up a lovely Gretsch white falcon 12-string acoustic which is on there playing the lead bit and the acoustic rhythm bits too.

I struggled to sing the chorus...not sure I could have gone any higher, really, to be honest.

Adam and I used that slightly panned vocal effect recently on "Animals" and I really like it...it seemed sensible to use it here as some of the lines almost ran into each other and doing it in just one vocal was a bit of a gabble.

I did mostly strip the keys out on the verses...and I invariably have the drummer going onto the ride cymbal in chorus/solo parts...but I thought the 16ths hihat pattern had to be consistent...so couldn't use it here, which meant that the chorus didn't have anywhere else to go.

The bassline - like most things I record - was pretty much the first thing that came into my head...I usually intend to go back and re-record things to a higher standard...but - to my shame - I rarely bother. I can play better than I usually do...but I very rarely feel the need, to be honest...I often prefer my simpler, even clumsier but more enthusiastic attempts.

I left the lyrics maybe too vague, then...the official story of the Salisbury poisonings is, to my mind...how can I put this....erm...interesting  :-X but I don't like to bang on about stuff like this too much as (A) most people don't seem to care (B) the often bitter experience of 50+ years on planet earth have left me with the distinct impression that most people don't seem to like hearing opposing views. Not that I have any, of course.

The Russian Embassy released this statement...

https://www.rusemb.org.uk/fnapr/6909

But they would say that, wouldn't they, etc, etc  ;)

Thanks again.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
Hey Paul

Perfectly vague for me! It lets the listener write their own story while you get to keep your original meaning to yourself (and those who’ve solve it). For that I thought these were very clever and captivating lyrics and sung in your usual distinctive tones!

It doesn’t fail to meet the expectations I already have of your music, which are high! I don’t listen to critique but just to listen because I enjoy your music! Makes commenting hard because it’s my usual thumbs up but thought I’d pop in and give you that any way! 

Great track mate

All the best

Darren