Ugly Baby

• 20 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
I may have completely lost the plot, but decided the word needed a song called Ugly Baby. So now the world has got such a song and I shall hide.

Not sure about the mix and the overall dynamics, but it's here for now...

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/ugly-baby

Lyrics:

Ugly Baby

All the stars they looked down
And blessed our coupling
With a precious bundle of joy
But all grimaces and frowns
The grumpy midwife
Curtly delivered our boy

She said
Oh what an ugly baby
Oh dear
He must have fallen from the Ugly Tree
But we
We loved our ugly baby endlessly
Though what pains would the future bring?
Oh ugly baby, you poor cursed thing

Then all the stars looked down
Explained they’d blessed us
With a golden opportunity
On YouTube and Instagram
Big bucks were waiting
For our most hideous baby

Oh yes
Oh what an ugly baby
So sweet
He must have fallen from the ugly tree
And we
We loved our ugly baby, celebrity
Viral sensation, kerching
Oh ugly baby, you beautiful thing

Then even the cruel trolls, they could not win
With all the brand endorsements rolling in
And all the readies in our savings tin
From Ugly Baby Clothes
And Ugly Baby Toys
We'll always love you
Our boy
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:04:44 PM »
Excellent! The world really does need an Ugly Baby song. I loved the the way that this was put together and your sardonic vocal delivery against a slightly cheesy musical backdrop. I particularly liked your ca-ching. I admire your imagination for delving into subject matter seldom written about. Loved it @MichaelA

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »
Fabulous woozy instrumentation.  The juxtaposition of the cynical lyrics with the romantic schmaltzy backdrop is great.  I also muchly liked the double-tracked deeper voice in the M8, and the waterfall pianos right at the end deserve a special mention too.  Clever, funny stuff mate.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »
+1 with pompeyjazz - there just arent enough ugly baby songs, could do very well, as there are plenty of kids that were last in the beautiful queue.

Catchy melody.

Liked the 808, bass and cheesey Farfisa (or whatever the organ is), and to me that could have been enough, there is just a tad too much going in places, I think in chorus...I think there are some close mic pops on the B of Baby.

Loved it mind....very hooky, masterful keys, that slipped past the first listen.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
Haha - my dear Dad used to say - "It's an ugly baby but someone has to take it home"  ;D ;D
Good song - liked the lyrics and the wavery musical track which gives it all a carnival type feel.
Vocals are good too - no nits this side of the planet.
Paul

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
Sweet verse melody! Just one thing that bugged me there, on the "down" and "frowns" I think you sing an E and the bass plays a D. The lyrics are fabulous and I like that your accent is there.
Well balanced and great production!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
Hi, Interesting choice for lyrics lol. Enjoyed the idea, the instrumentation was different, and that made it stand out. Good melody and vocals. I thought somewhere there was a meandering bass note that got out of place :P ;).
Good listen!
Cheeers
Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys, plus a couple of pointers which I have been grateful for and have attended to.

@pompeyjazz , well actually I like how you yourself write about about contemporary issues, so could have imagined this lyric from your pen. Maybe a bit more subtle of course! Similarly @PaulyX, maybe you could have done something with this lyric set.  ::) Well maybe... 

@cowparsleyman , that was useful thanks. I have taken one of the synths out of the chorus and it is all the better for it!  :)

Many thanks @Paulski , your Dad knew best of course. Glad you liked it!

Again, thanks @t.wretborn, bass lines are my weakness I think. Anyhow I have edited that offending D note!  ;)

Same point and thanks @Jamie , plus yeah in your own thread I mucho empathise with you getting frustrated when your music doesn't reach a wider audience. But we're all addicts on here I guess, and can't help but keep producing songs, even if the timeframe between them is a bit variable! Keep taking the tablets mate!  ;D

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 09:46:55 PM »
Ha! A leaf from 'Grumpy Cat's book for sure!

You get 10 extra points for using the word 'coupling' in a song lyric! It make me imagine a couple of trains going at it!  ;D

I'd love to hear a female vocal in the chorus,just to see if it works...

Funny and cool as ever Michael...oh and the song started with a sudden jerk,fix that please.  ;)

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 10:58:28 AM »
I love the lyrics.....its got a baby bird sound to it.

Well done !

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 12:34:54 PM »
Hi @Skub (and @pompeyjazz) I have fixed the big jerk. It is just a little jerk now. But the baby is still ugly sorry!

And ta @Sebandme , yeah I had forgotten about Baby Bird, but I will go and dig out some of their stuff again. 'You're Gorgeous' - top Brit Pop that!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
Maybe the sudden jerk made the Ugly Baby @Skub

@pompeyjazz  Ha! Reminds me of the old taxi driver joke. He swerved to avoid a child and fell off the couch!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:32:13 PM »
I never know what to expect from you @MichaelA , well except the unexpected.. How on earth do you come up with the themes of your songs!?!? Another cracker.. your wonderful wit on display.. Very clever as always.. great arrangement..

You've gone and done it again! :)

K

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 03:06:15 PM »
Well I hoped the title delivered what I thought it meant, and you didn't disappoint!
Loving this mix of deadpan delivery vocals and catchy tune.
Smart, sharp all executed carefully
Put a smile on my face.
Going on replay
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..