konalavadome

Australia may she keep you well

• 16 Replies

PaulG

• Busker
« on: September 25, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
A simple love song of love & kept secrets
https://soundcloud.com/paul-givens-167466279/australia-may-she-keep-you-well

Any advice on production gratefully received!

She's gone,gone,gone, Australia may she keep you well
Gone,gone,gone, Australia may she keep you well

Let the sun shine down on your children, don't let them forget their home
The back streets of old England, those old familiar roads

chorus

One day you said I'm leaving, I didn't have to ask you why
I knew in my heart all your secrets, I'll keep those secrets till I die

Chorus

Part of my heart is in Melbourne, it's travelling there with you
Age may fade my memory, but I never could forget you

Chorus

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
Nicely put together Paul. This forum should be renamed The Paulwriters forum there's so many of you ! Loved the picking and the slightly unusual gone, gone got me. Production wise I would day pretty damn good but if anything I would play with the EQ a bit just for a bit more brightness. Welcome to the forum. Hope that you take the time to jump in, participate and review a few songs  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
Hey Paul, I thought that was lovely.  I liked the music-box circularity and the unpretentious, very genuine sounding vocals with just enough harmonies in the double tracking.  I love the song "Gone Beyond" by Akron/Family (here if you want to check it out:
)  and it reminded me a bit of that, I liked it for similar reasons: very pretty and a bit sad and lonely at the same time.  I'd like to hear more of your stuff - be good to get a bit more folk on the boards, especially of this quality.
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »
Hi Paul, great acoustic guitar sounds, really nicely played too! Nice romantic melody which you sing delicately and very well. Enjoyed its simplicity.
Very good.
Cheers
Jamie

PaulG

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:49 PM »
Many thanks for kind words, advice & encouragement

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »
Very pleasant song, reminiscent of Ralph Mctell ( if that's how you spell it ) very nice guitar picking, could be brighter but no biggie :) thought the vocal was a bit too loud and a bit of automation would be good..on the G's for instance...

well done mate... :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 08:27:47 PM »
I think its excellent  Gone gone gone Australia may she keep you well.....loved it and lovely guitar playing

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »
Wecome to the forum @PaulG

Just listening for the 1st time, very nice picking, as @shadowfax says very Ralph McTell, (one of my biggest infulences).

How did you record the guitars? the quality of recording is extremely high, very difficult to get that woody sound, very nicely done indeed.

What guitar is it?

What vocal mic did you use, did you track the Vocals at the same time?

Maybe drop the BVox on the first chorus at the beginning, then add the additional Vox in the choruses after the Verses, it just sets up the motif for the chorus a little more gently.

All in all a very accomplished song.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing more from you.

PaulG

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
Thanks for help & suggestions @cowparsleyman
The guitar is a Martin 00-15 grand concert , one of the less expensive Martins but it suits my style of play.
Vocals & Guitar recorded separately with a Rode NT1-A (recently bought in a package with stand & popshield from Gear4 music)
I'm using "Reaper" with Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface. if I'm honest the recording, mixing side of things is all a bit of a mystery, all very trial & error, a case of learning as you go. I also need to do more vocal exercising as now I'm getting older my voice is not as it was! Everything is just recorded in my spare bedroom so acoustically not great. As most people find I need some decent monitors as  the headphone sound flatters to deceive!
Cut my teeth in the Folk clubs & a fan of the early Ralph McTell  catalogue.. Its both flattering & a burden to be compared to him as we all strive to find our own identity.  Once again thanks for the praise & constructive comments. Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
Hi Paul. There are some great online tutorials for Reaper on YouTube. I think a lot of us guys on here are spare bedroom recorders. I use Reaper and have a scarlet interface as well. Not denying there is a bit of a learning curve when you are new to the world of DAWS but stick with it as it really is worth it. If you need any help with Reaper drop me a PM. Cheers,  John

PaulG

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »
Thanks for suggestions & advice John
Will trawl YouTube for relevant tutorials
I'm amazed at some of the quality I've seen & the kindness of people with their help
Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 08:30:20 PM »
Another great song, Paul.

The guitar sound and playing are excellent. Vocals and harmonies are lovely too and the recording sounds as clean as a whistle. You've cracked it :-)

There's a tiny audio glitch at 2:00 I think? But that one fairly trivial thing aside, this is top drawer stuff.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Felixthekiwi

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 04:15:47 AM »
Hi Paul!
What a beautiful tune :) Thanks for sharing it!
Part of my heart is in Melbourne too, however i'm over the ditch in NZ ;)

Production wise it sounds great! The guitar sounds balanced and crisp, the part has been performed well, love it!
Same applies for the vocals, nailed it!

If you were considering adding anything, I could hear some subtle percussion or brushes on a snare, maybe a light bass line following/walking along, perhaps entering later in the song as a point of difference/development.
It definitely stands on its own feet though, and works as is :)
Listening through your other stuff on soundcloud too, love it!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 08:50:56 AM »
Very tastefully melancholy I must say. I found the story quite intriguing (what were the secrets?!). And they're not lovers, as it's definitely "your" children and not "our" (that would be a whole different song, more tragic and less wistful).

Sounds like you're well on the way with recording - Reaper has everything you could ever need.

Cool stuff.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 03:24:36 PM »
Hi, lots to like here.
Neat playing, nice melody.
Clear and direct lyrics
Catchy and put a smile on my face
You noted the glitch around 1.58?
Good work
:-) neil
songwriter of no repute..